Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have 3 Micromatics and all of them are very pleasant shavers. But, my fav vintage SE is the Star 1912. I will be pulling that one out for a couple shaves this week as well.

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree about these excellent razors! They are among my favorites. I own 3 of them. I like them ALMOST as much as I like the Star 1912 and the Featherweight. Both of those give excellent feedback LOUDLY!

DSCN9741.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, September 5th 2022, I had a ASRazor shave today.

Razor : Ever-Ready streamline 2nd Generation - Mfg 1949-53, upper mid range, well built to last generations and needs a light touch to master this interesting razor. I also put a folded spent blade spline shim under the existing shim to mock older blades to smooth it out slightly also but shaves Ok with out one also.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9)- Very Sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" unique scent that is pleasurable + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Atlantis 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, Great splay scrubber + great lather painter, very close face feel to a 2 band badger IMO.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Everready Streamline 2nd Gen with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It was a very pleasant MMBT shave!

Razor - Micromatic Bullet Tip
    Blade - GEM Personna SS blade 2nd
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Soap - The Dead Sea
    Brush - rescued Perfecto badger
    Post shave - Thayers Toner "Rose Petals" & Proraso balm
    AS - Proraso

This soap is easy to lather. I built lather in my bowl and then worked the brush on my face to build it even more. VERY nice soap! I do not know how to describe the scent but, I like it! Rainy day again so, I warmed the bowl before working the lather. Very pleasant 2-pass shave WTG & ATG with minor cleanup. Very efficient razor. I also did the dome to knock down head stubble. I got almost no feedback from the alum bar. No cuts, nicks, or errors.

DSCN9765.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  5. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Good choice.
    I have a Star 1912 with Baton handle and love it. All the 1912s are great razors.

6. GAW9576

My last shave was with this crazy little beast. It's my own creation and a bit of a Frankenstein's monster. I put together parts from several damaged razors to make the Gem Peerless Bullet Pruf with Guiding Eye.

IMG_20220906_220952_(1020_x_1020_pixel).jpg IMG_20220906_220909_(830_x_830_pixel).jpg

jimjo1031, Enrico, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, September 8th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic OC- Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid - mid upper range, well designed to last, first TTO mass produced razor in the world(4 years a head of Gillette) and has a rack and pinion mechanism to tighten the blade against the blade stops(genius design) and just a joy to use the 3 different main variants of Gem Micromatics.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Razorock "Santa Maria del Fiore" nice vanilla & light tobacco scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Viper 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hair ends, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC + a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

8. GAW9576

Somehow yesterday's shave and EDC picture got deleted. Here is a make up photo. I had a great shave with a Gem 1912 on a red bakelite handle. LA Toja whipped up well with my Rubber set 400 with Zenith baor knot. Thayer's was a nice finishing touch. The watch of the day was my Casio G-Shock GW-M5610 and the EDC knife was the Spyder Co. Para 3 with S30V blade.

IMG_20220909_142229_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

9. GAW9576

Today's shave.

IMG_20220911_212558_(1099_x_1100_pixel).jpg

10. GAW9576

I had a very pleasant touch up shave today with the Gem Peerless Bullet Pruf with Guiding Eye. The brush is a little Omega Boar with a modified the handle. I put on a splash of Aqua Velva aftershave lotion to finish things off. Today's watch is the G-Shock GW-M5610 and today's knife is the Spyder Co Para3

IMG_20220912_074517_(866_x_870_pixel).jpg

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Micromatic Menthol Monday!

Razor - GEM Micromatic MMOC in gold
    Blade - GEM Personna SS 5th shave
    Pre-shave - Proraso Green menthol
    Soap - Chiseled Face Cryogen
    Brush - Classic Shaving synthetic (really nice and soft on the face)
    Post - Thayers Toner & Geo F Trumper "Skin Food" Sandalwood"
    AS - Proraso

The Cryogen is COLD! It got my eyes watering while I shaved and even got my nose running! Very pleasant shave with the MMOC. I always enjoy the shaves with these razors. Nice and close & smooth! 2-pass shave with no cleanup. WTG & ATG with no cuts, nicks, or weepers. Very nice!

DSCN9920.JPG

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday , SEptember 12th 2022, ASRazor shave today.

Razor : Star bar #4 model- Mfg 1919-20, excellent tame mid range, interesting Star brand pattern brass base plate with a nickel coating, this little Lather catcher is such a nice shaver with a new blade and a joy to use.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice scent (Aramis?) excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master Soap creations S.A to make their line of soap & aftershaves.
    Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + good painter.
    Post shave : With hazel beard cleanse & Yaqi Musketeer Rapier splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star Bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Thursday SEptember 15th 2022

Razor : Gem Junior bar, Mfg 1907-11, upper mild range> tame mid range, this razor was built to last, nice base plate design, this little razor is such a smooth razor with a new blade, very close comfortable shave with excellent results.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) Very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap :Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent + with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Ferrari 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristles, great splay scrubber+ excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031 and Hogie like this.
  14. GAW9576

Super smooth shave today with the Ever-ready Streamline.

IMG_20220918_163535_(899_x_900_pixel).jpg

jimjo1031, Hogie, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, SEptember 19th 2022

Razor : Gem Pushbutton- Mfg 1958-65, upper mild to tame mid range, excellent shaving razor, it was built when push button transmissions 1950's-60's for cars was the going addition to have in a vehicle in Chryslers, I get excellent shaves with this razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Cyril R Salters Indian sandalwood, nice rich mid range of sandalwood scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm silvertip, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber, great lather painter.
    Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse, Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood(some clove) + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with Gem push button with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRshave, SEptemper, Thursday, 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic bump-less model, mid > upper mid range, well built to last generations, I get great shaves with this razor with a regular blade and enjoy to experiment with different blades. Today I thought I would try a Schick twin II blade, got a very close shave this morning shave with no issues.
    Blade : Schick injector twin II (3) excellent blade sharp & smoooth with extreme excellent longevity.
    Soap : Razorock American Barber, mid range unique barber shop scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Red Zebra 24mm snow Leopard knot[​IMG], excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC bump-less with a Schick injector twin II blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Micromatic Menthol Monday! Cool morning here. Good day to cut wood. I am building a stack before I bring out the wood splitter. I will split all of it at once.

Razor - GEM Micromatic MMBT
    Blade - GEM Personna SS (4)
    Pre-shave - Proraso Green
    Soap - Proraso Green (Bloomed)
    Brush - Simpson "Commodore"
    Post shave - Thayers Toner (unscented) & Geo F Trumper "Skinfood" sandalwood
    AS - Pinaud Clubman "Whiskey Woods"

I will shower later after working on wood. Washed face and warmed the scupper & brush with HOT water. Bloomed soap for a few minutes and thn loaded brush over the scupper to create a bunch of warm lather that cooled the face on application. I did a 2-pass shave WTG & ATG with no cleanup. Pleasant and smooth afterwards. Alum bar was silent. I think I have the technique down well. No cuts, nicks, or weepers.

The bullet tip is a nice shaver! Tomorrow I will use the Star 1912. I want to finish this blade this week to end the month.

DSCN0235.JPG

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, SEptemper 26 2022

Razor : Gem 1912 OC- Mfg 1912-15, the real McCoy first production run of the 1912's (Rarity), Tame mid range, built to last (over 100 yrs ago) I get some of my best Gem shaves with this razor. Very enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice fresh minty Lavender + excellent lather qualities. I hardly ever have any irritation or nicks with any of my Lavender soaps. Lavender Rocks!
    Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave :Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, MMMonday, OCtober 3rd 2022

Razor : British Ever-Ready 1912- Mfg 1936-53, Excellent mid range, well built to last and still cranks out excellent shaves. A joy to use.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable & safest blade to handle IMO.
    Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent + excellent lather qualities, triple milled and lasts a long time.
    Brush : Yaqi Ferrari 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, very soft split end bristle hair, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock Emperor [​IMG] + witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my ER 1912 with a coated Gem blade.

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ever-Ready Gold 1912 Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Lord Chesterfield Two Band Badger (restored) Brush
    Viking Revolution Peppermint Eucalyptus Shave Cream
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue After Shave

Untitled.jpg

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.