Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, December 5th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless variant)- Mfg 1946, mid range, this model has 17 nib safety bar which give a different feel then the MMOC, very enjoyable shave this morning. Rigs shim used also.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, vanilla, light tobacco scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Mysteries space" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem MMCP with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Dec 12th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic OC- MFG 1930-41, well built to last generations, mid to upper mid range, I get great shaves with this razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier[​IMG] great unique scent (Aramis?) with excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations S.A. to supply soap & fragrance to their line of products.
    Brush : Yaqi "Moka Express" 26mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, excellent spay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my MMOC with a coated Gem blade.

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD- Saturday, December 17th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic flying wing(AKA- MMBT, Guiding eye ,MMFW....)- Mfg 1947-50, well built, heaviest of the Micromatic variants, mildest of the 3 main Micromatics, experimenting with a Schick twin blade reversed so normal first edge becomes top making it a single edge with more blade gap & increased blade feel. A nice enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade : Schick Twin 2 blade(4) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity, I reversed this blade so normal 1st cutter becomes top blade making it more aggressive. Limited success & shave was enjoyable.
    Soap : Speick Stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities, triple milled. I just cut some slivers off and press into bowl for creating some excellent lather.
    Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMFW with a Schick Twin II blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

SOTD 1909 Ever-Ready razor and my copper handle Zenith boar.

IMG_20221218_205717_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, December 19th 2022

Razor : Ever-Ready Streamline 2nd generation, Mfg 1949-53, excellent upper mid range, one of the best looking ASR razors in IMO with the heavy base plate. It took a while to figure this Jewel out with a RIGS >shim[​IMG]. The razor was designed with blade stops forward as close to the safety bar for aggression and efficentcy. No information on that anywhere so it was pictures and through trial and error that I figured it out. The Streamline shaves are stellar with good technique and knowing what the razor is designed to accomplish IMO. I like to use my Streamline near 6-10 shaves on the blade for excellent results mostly giving my other ASR razors a chance in rotation. Great razor + great shave this morning!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Gillette Pure Cream- nice sweet clean scent with excellent lather qualities. Make excellent ubber lather also.
    Brush : Yaqi "Black marble" 24mm tuxedo knot, this brush got me on the Yaqi brand years ago. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Nivea refreshing aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Ever-Ready Streamline 2nd Gen with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, December26th

Razor : Ever-Ready 2nd Generation Streamline- Mfg 1949-53, mid> upper mid range, well built to last, blade forward to blade stops from front edge of Safety bar, Once a person figures it out how to use it gives a stellar shave IMO. Beautiful ASR razor!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : La Toja stick, very mild different scent(hard to describe, not annoying but nothing unique) with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Robin" 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs, very nice splay scrubber, great lather painter.
    Post shave : Yaqi Green splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs+ no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Ever-Ready Streamline 2nd Gen with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, December 27th 2022

Razor : Star bar #4 lather catcher, Mfg 1919-20, excellent tame mid range, Well designed and built to last many generations with some care. This is one of the best shaves a person can get with a new blade IMO. It just was made perfect for my shaving needs. If a person gets a chance to find one "buy it" is my advice + it looks beautiful also!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : La Toja stick, very mild scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi " Sagrada Familia" 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, great splay scrubber, excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star Bar #4 lather catcher with a coated Gem blade.

[​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, December 2nd 2023

Razor : Gem Push button- Mfg 1958-65, tame mid range, it sure shaves good with a new blade and this is one of the best looking Gem razors other than the Gem Lather catchers. I enjoy this razor and the results are stellar this morning. Good razor to break in a new blade.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle IMO.
    Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "High mountain" 24mm silvertip badger excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem push button razor with a coated Gem blade.(It does not get much better a shave then this for myself!)
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, January 3rd 2023

Razor: Gem G bar, Mfg 1955-58, tame mid range, well built to last with some care, it has a excellent coating of chrome for longevity IMO, first razor I used in the Gem brand and have never looked back at excellence in shaving. Stellar shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Barber pole" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless). Razorock XXX Edt.
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, January 9th 2023

Razor : Ever-Ready 1912, Mfg 1936-55 England, excellent mid range, very well designed razor and built to last with some care, very smooth this morning for a stellar shave. Very enjoyable shaves of lately with all my razors it seems!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock Classic, nice sweet almond & cherry scent with excellent lather qualities. Very nice soap + affordable.
    Brush : Yaqi "Ever helpful" 22 mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber, great lather painter. With the 22mm HD knot with a slightly shorter loft with this badger, might be ideally designed for the person who really enjoys the scrub but with no scritch. Very enjoyable brush to use this morning for a nice change.
    Post shave : Italian barber(Razorock) Amici[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent stellar shave with my Ever-Ready 1912 with a coated Gem blade. (It does not get much better a shave for myself.)
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. GAW9576

Today I went with my Frankensteined Gem Micromatic flying wing/Clog-pruf peerless. This razor is a fun one. I made it from rescued parts from several broken razors. The guard bar is worn quite a bit and it seems a bit more aggressive than my regular Clog-pruf peerless.

IMG_20230109_211332_(1050_x_1050_pixel).jpg

Paul Turner, Ron R and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, January 10th 2023

Razor : Ever-Ready 1914, Mfg 1914-17, mid range, similar way of loading blades like the ASR 1912 models but blade tensioner spring is slightly different configured, well built. Excellent audio feedback while shaving, one of my favorite ASR razors and very enjoyable shave.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest razor blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock Emperor(new addition), nice scented soap but Emperor aftershave is very good(Creed Aventis cloned?) + excellent lather qualities. Very happy with the Razorock line of soaps & splashes mostly + affordable.
    Brush : Yaqi "mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great splay scrubber + great lather painter. Very nice brush handle + enjoyable experience.
    Post shave : Razorock Emperor[​IMG] splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Ever-Ready 1914 with a coated Gem blade.
    Did a good job considering I had a very close shave yesterday, I thought maybe match results, but almost as close.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Paul Turner like this.
  13. GAW9576

Can you guess my favorite color. I had an excellent shave today with the Ever-Ready 1914 aka Little Leather Catcher. The Zenith Boar whipped up a great Lather of A&Es The Novelist. And of course the Novelist after shave was a perfect finish to this shave. Today's watch and EDC knife are the G-shock GDF-100BB and the Spyderco Para 3

IMG_20230115_000600_(1370_x_1370_pixel).jpg

Ron R and tarkaner like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, January 16th, 2023

Razor : Micromatic Clog Pruf (peerless model), Mfg 1945-46, mid range, well built (all brass)to last generations with some care, very enjoyable close shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood, nice rich herbal sandal wood cream with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Barber pole"24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter. Great handle + very enjoyable brush!
    Post shave : Proraso red Sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of Geo F Trumper sandal wood skin food.
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. GAW9576

I recently received some samples of captains choice products shave soap and aftershave. Today was my first chance to test them out. The Sandalwood soap smells fantastic and performed quite well. I probably could have loaded the brush a bit more but that's on me not the soap. The Venture aftershave is to my nose mild but very pleasant. It smells somewhat citrusy to me but I can't describe the scent past that. I would definitely buy some soaps and aftershave in the future and would also love to get one of there heavy weight copper shave bowls soon. The bowls look amazing.

IMG_20230117_230050_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Ron R likes this.
  16. GAW9576

IMG_20230119_212727_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Today's shave was nice and easy. The Gem Featherweight deluxe shaves close but comfortable with ease. Nobel Otter Logbook lathered luxuriously with the Zenith boar brush and Aqua Velva lotion was a fantastic finishing touch.

JACarbone and Ron R like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, January 24th 2023

Razor : Micromatic OC, buttonless- Mfg 1930-1932 >button variant 41, mid to upper mid range, well designed and built to last and even with some abuse over the last 90 years. One of favorite Gem razors when blade is up in # of uses + used with a RIGS shim. Enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage & Cedarwood, nice Bayrum soap(slight clove) + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi " mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Nice ergonomic handle with a excellent knot.
    Post shave :Witch hazel beard area cleanse, then Ogallala Bayrum with Sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Saturday, January 28th 2023

Razor : Ever-Ready Streamline, 2nd generation- Mfg 1949-53, upper mid range, well built and it is eye candy to myself, it was one of the high end Ever-Ready razors they built. excellent shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock Classic, nice cherry almond scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Sagrada Familia"22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber, great lather painter. Small handle might not be for large hands + great knot and one of my favorite badger brushes to use .
    Post shave : Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + slight irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave on my Ever-Ready streamline razor with a coated Gem blade. I toss the Gem blade after 10 uses regardless how well it is cutting because I averaged this blade years ago and this one needed to be tossed.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Paul Turner like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, January 30th 2023

Razor : Star bar #4 Lather catcher model- Mfg 1929-30, tame mid range, well built for that era & with some care will last generations, With a new Gem PTFE blade this razor will give any razor I own a run for performance results at end of shave IMO. Very enjoyable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock The Dead Sea- very unique scent that is addictive to myself + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber, great lather painter. Nice handle in the hand to use with a very good knot.
    Post shave : Razorock The Dead sea [​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=[​IMG] Excellent shave this morning with my Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Saturday, February 11th 2023

Razor : Gem 1912(1921 model) [​IMG]- Mfg 1912-40"s?, excellent mid range with a new blade, Gem & ASR brand names sold millions of 1912 concept models over the decades because they where just perfect to some folks. Very enjoyable shave this morning, had to use a Rigs shim because of the spring tension indicator was showing it was designed for the older thicker splines of its time (1921).
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable & safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities, nice change up in winter months.
    Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice handle to grip + how they Yaqi can make handle so interesting at times must of caught my eyes.
    Post shave : Italian barber (Razorock) Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 old blemish weeper=[​IMG] Excellent shave my 1912 model closed comb with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.