Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. brit

brit in a box

gorgeous razor..

MR41, BlaydRunner and Primotenore like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

thats a beauty, nice shaver as well.

MR41 likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

tha
    thank you keith..i was amazed at the condition when it arrived.wasn t listed as nos,and item ended and reposted before i hit the button.wasn t sure what it was until later.$50

MR41 and Enrico like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Gary.

MR41 and brit like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The verdict is in. This razor is mild alright and real finicky about shave angle. You almost have to ride the cap to get this to cut hair. It is not a bad razor once you work out the shave angle but I wouldn't rate it any better than a post war tech or Krona. It doesn't matter how sharp the blade is when it barely makes contact with the hair let alone skin. I can see why these razors never took off like the 3pc techs because of the cutting angle issue. The Tech or Krona just plain shaves regardless of angle making them easier to use. To much work for too little return is how I would summarize the Star 3pc.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well that's curious. Never seemed particularly finicky to me and most characterize the Star as more aggressive than less. Got me.

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am either riding cap with no blade exposure or guard with no blade exposure except for a very narrow angle range between. Maybe you have more pliable skin that sticks and pulls the hair and skin closer to blade?

MR41 likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm a head shaver, ain't nothing pliable up there.

MR41 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I’ve never had any problems with getting a great shave with my Star razor, but IDK.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Face and head are 2 different shaving surfaces and technique. Then the opposite maybe the case and this razor requires some serious skin stretching to make better contact. I can't think of any other thing that would make the razor perform different.

MR41, brit, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am tentatively going with the Barbasol floating head as mild unless mine is loading the blade wrong or they made different blade gap / exposures on different model year heads.

MR41 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

We're in bizzaroworld now....you sure your head is floating? Seriously strange as the FH has serious exposure (a function of very short guard span) accounting for its aggressive reputation. The non floater is very mild Head shot?.

MR41 likes this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Two razors I have used lately that I find to be efficient but mild shavers: a German copy of a Gillette Single Ring Old Type marked only with the word "Versilbert" and a 1945ish American made Grand King Self Lubricating:

IMG_20181203_004549_kindlephoto-603796909.jpg

The German razor shaves more like a Gillette NEW LC than an Old Type. Quite smooth.

IMG_20181203_202205.jpg

Very efficient razor but feels about as aggressive as a Tech - an easy shave.

Hembree, MR41, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The one on the left is the razor I am referring to.
    barbie2.jpg

The one on the right is up next to be used with a fresh blade.

Either these aren't floating heads or are. If they are then either one has an issue or a lot of people been talking out their asses about this razor. Other option is they made mild floating heads that haven't been identified as such and I have one and possibly more. TBD with pictures of a blade loaded in both.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Same thing with the other Barbasol on the right. Closer shave because of a fresh blade but that is it. Mild as the other as far as blade feel goes. So either a lot of people be talking out their asses if these are floating heads or I hit the mild lottery and found 2 with different head configurations than a standard Barbasol floating head.

MR41 likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

barb1.jpg
    The one on the left is the one I shaved with yesterday, the right is today's shave with a fresh blade in it.

left.jpg right.jpg

Left picture corresponds to the left razor, right to the right.

I wasn't able to get pictures at the same angle for both but the left side is the easier to see they are about the same.

MR41 likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure looks to have positive exposure + gap so how that can feel mild is a mystery to me. Mine feels more aggressive than the F plate on the Karve

MR41 likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It has very little blade reveal I think is why it is so mild. The exposure is how much blade juts out beyond the cap, the reveal is the how much of that exposure extends beyond the shave plane(aka the straight line that extends from the edge of the cap to the edge of the safety bar). I know you know the difference, the explanation is for others reading the thread. I am not posting some Rube Goldberg cluster%&?@ of a diagram to show it right now.

It certainly was a lot better shave today with a fresh blade, better than any 3pc tech maybe all the Super Speeds and a Krona. If you like mild this a good razor to use.

MR41 likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You have those switched actually, reveal (aka cap span) is extension beyond the cap edge, exposure is beyond the shave plane .

Hey @Jorvaljr , you're a mild razor guy, would you describe the Floating Head as mild?

[​IMG]

MR41 and brit like this.
  20. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Really? I find my 34 Aristocrat to be milder than my 38 Sheraton ounce for ounce...I would have taken that Senator in a heart beat. Now the Tech comment intrigues me...why? Is there something notably different with that Tech? I own a 53 Canadian Tech and an English Ball End Tech and both are wonderful shavers but I wouldn’t say aggressive...efficient yes.

MR41 and brit like this.