Mildest Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

In your opinion is the most mild razor you can get? I like really mild razors so you'd be doing me a big favor in answering my request Thanks God Bless

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A Gillette blue tip Flare or a Gillette Tech razor after 1945.

Techs are very plentiful and reasonable in price.

MR41 and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Examples ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

preidy, gorgo2, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  4. Tylervanstone

I was thinking one I could buy new and if you could post a link where I can get the razor at please

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Serious question, price range?

6. Tylervanstone

there is no price range I will pay top dollar for a mild razor 200$

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'd steer you toward Maggards.

BamaT likes this.
  8. Tylervanstone

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

For that there is a lot to choose from, but I'd feel bad sending you to a Feather AS/D2 at ~$145 Amazon and a vintage Gillette Tech Shaves the same for $5. It is your call.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The difference is stainless steel or brass.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My recently acquired Tech, as well as an inexpensive Chinese Tech clone purchased several years ago as a travel razor are very mild. The clone I bought was called on Amazon simply "Silver Tone" razor. I believe it was made by Remei, and at the time was around $3. It is a serviceable razor, but you have to pay attention to how the blade is placed on the head, as it is not 100% precise, as the actual Tech is, or at least the one I have. Any of the Tech clones are both inexpensive and mild. The clone I have is very light, so you have to be careful not to wade into excessive pressure territory to compensate.

I paid around $10 for my Tech, and it is in virtually like new condition. Found it, a Gellette Slim adjustable, Schick Injector, and a Gem Micromatic in the same antique shop while on vacation.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have about 10 or 12 Techs all vintage. I prefer the pre WW2, but they all shave nice.

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A post war tech, in my opinion, would be the one to get. Mild but extremely effective, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As far as modern goes, maybe a Edwin Jagger DE89 or similar clone.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: even Gillette Tech NOS if a person insisted on never used, would save money compared to a Feather

15. jimjo1031

Yep....

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I'll say The Feather Popular.

Knox likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I bought this for my son (off Amazon for under$30), and he really like it ...
    [​IMG]
    Edwin Jagger Kelvin

18. jimjo1031

I like the shorter and knurled handle.

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It was for last Christmas and it was a toss up between the Merkur 34C and the Edwin Jagger. It finally came down to if he would ever want to change the handle; he wouldn't be able to with the Merkur.

The Edwin Jagger Kelvin won out. Now the only problem is his wife likes it also.

BamaT and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. jimjo1031

Looks like it could be a good candidate for my Den in the future. Tell her she'd probably be better off with a longer handle. ;)

BamaT likes this.