Mindless Customer Service

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by John Beeman, Apr 30, 2018.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Recently I provided my email address to a company I do business with so they could send me a necessary document quickly. Shortly thereafter I began receiving email solicitations from the same company.

I clicked on "unsubscribe" at the bottom of one of the emails only to be taken to the company web portal where I could change the preferences of my online account. I do not have an online account with this particular company and I do not want to create one just to tell them to stop sending me unsolicited offers and "news" via email.

I called the company and the representative was appropriately courteous and professional and read everything from the script like a good robot. He assured me that he could comply with my request and completed the task.

As soon as he completed the task he began a scripted offer of solicitation for one of their products that I have no interest in. After the third "NO", I reminded him the purpose of my call was to put an end to solicitations and his eventual response was a solicitation offer.

Of course, he cannot vary from his script for fear of discipline by the customer service overlords but I had to wonder if he saw the irony in the situation. I requested no solicitation so he solicited me.

Now where's my blood pressure monitor...

Shaver X, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not sure how big this company is but if the emails continue, tell them everything from their domain will be marked as spam - actual business emails or not. If they think it may cost them your business, the junk emails will stop.

John Beeman likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Back when I kept a land line house phone, the below video/audio was on my desktop for easy sales calls clickage. When the vinyl siding company tried again to sell their products, I'd set the phone down next to a speaker, click loop play, and go stretch my legs for a couple rotations. Always came back to a dial tone.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used to you sales calls as chance to practice my Korean. Sometimes they would be upset when they realize I had no intention of buying anything and I was a Ford or just practicing my Korean. Then I took to telling them that I’m a foreigner don’t speak Korean, they almost always hang up. What time the person was smart enough to say back to me what do you mean you don’t speak Korean, you just spoke to me in Korean. Then we both shared a good laugh when I explained it.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Blood pressure monitor? What is to get upset about? Simply mark their emails as spam, or simply block their emails, and never do business with the company again. It has always worked well for me. You might want to send a letter to the company informing them of the problem, and that unwanted emails are why you will no longer do business with them. Another solution is Mailwasher Pro. Reporting the problem to spamcop.net is another option, although I would think one of last resort. All are just a few easy clicks away.

Once you click Unsubscribe once, that should be it. As my mother used to sometimes say when I was a rug rat "Why do I have to tell you twice?!?". You shouldn't have to tell them these companies twice.

Keithmax, Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You would think so, but many times, that"unsubscribe" click just confirms your email.

Keithmax and Paul Turner like this.