Mitchells Wool Fat question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

Correct procedure! MWF seems to get better when hydrated. I use about a teaspoon of water before I take my shower. After the shower I spill the water from MWF into my hands and use it as a pre-shave. Excellent results.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Another alternative is to use it regularly, and it stays hydrated. When you have it in a rotation with several other soaps, it dries out.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

It pays to listen to your nose maybe. Eau de polecat nonwithstanding

PLAla and mrchick like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :prrr:

Erik Redd and PLAla like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It's fun to read back over this thread. I've been using Mitchell's once a week for a while now. I am close to finishing off the puck and will need a new one. Never had lathering problems. Always soak the soap while showering and load a lot of soap on the brush, then face lather. Excellent lather each time.

battle.munky likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

Why Joseph, how adult of you! :D

BigMark83, Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy108:

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

Going to use the Fat tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.

PLANofMAN and PLAla like this.
  9. PLAla

Thread revival!

I use the Fat every Friday and am on my second puck. @jluc is getting ready to use The Fat for the first time. There are some great tips in this thread.

I have no trouble getting outstanding from Mitchell's. Never have. Load it like a normal soap. It DOES look airy in the brush before face lathering. I will agree with that, but it works into beautiful lather easily.

Paul Turner, Hembree and brit like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've never had a problem with The Fat. I think those who face lather don't have problems. It is one of the few soaps I will replace as I finish a puck.

Hembree, PLAla, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Griz

Griz Member

It is the one soap that I am never out of. The best since the original Old Spice soap.

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

When I tried lathering it with a floppy badger brush, the results were less than satisfactory. I read on the forums that Mitchell's Wool Fat does best with brushes that have a little backbone. Sure enough, it was true. With both a Vie Long horsehair and an Omega boar, the results were excellent.

Best of all, Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap has been around a long time, and seems to be doing better than ever. It stands to reason that they will be around for a long time to come.

Hembree, PLAla, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I tried it when I first got into wet shaving. I couldn't lather much back then. I still make an occasional bad lather, but anyways. I plan on trying it again eventually, and I actually like the smell.

Hembree, MacDaDad, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

will have to try mitchells at some point..

Hembree, MacDaDad, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  15. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Mitchell's, Taylor's of old bond street and Tabac are on my list to try very soon

MacDaDad, PLAla, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You might want to add Institut Karite to that list. Italian Barber has it for $15, but sometimes you can find it for less online.

https://www.italianbarber.com/produ...aris-25-shea-butter-extra-gentle-shaving-soap

I have seen mention of it in 2006 online, and it has probably been around longer than that. IMHO, it is as good as Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    PLAla, brit and Rob206 like this.
  17. PLAla

Thread revival! @9nein9 is starting his journey with The Fat. Some great tips in this thread about various lathering strategies.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @9nein9 , welcome to The Fat. My suggestion is to wet your face and then rub the fat right on your face. Then, build the lather straight on your face. I find this method works well for any hard soap. Give it a try.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Such great soap...I got nothin' else to say.

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm a big fan. It is easy to lather and lasts forever.