Mixing different soaps, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Oh man, dont tell me that!
    I could have bought 12 pucks of the good stuff for what I paid for the Wool Fat.
    Is it hard to lather?

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Nah...The problem with the Fat is that some folks don't pick up enough soap onto their brush so their lather is thin. Load your brush up good. But if for some reason you do struggle with it, use the puck like a stick and let your whiskers pick up the soap. Once you get, it's a very good soap.

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I will most definately remember that, thanks.

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I will take you up on that because I'm very curious about the soap but it seems like it only exists in the US. But not quite yet, I kinda forbade myself from buying new gear for a while =P

A refill puck of my l'occitane puck cost a bit more that $16.00 =P even though I bought mine a bit cheaper I know it's a soap that is gonna stay in my gear. I love the smell and now when I know a bit more about lathering the lather and use will only get better =P

I live in Sweden, malmo. It's like 20 minutes from Denmark with train so I dot believe the shipping will vary much

I'm not one that values prices more than performance.

I've said that I have a Palmolive shave stick that I grated into a puck, it lathers good and have a nice smell. But I need a bigger holder bowl to make it easier to lather =P this stick cost me about 3 bucks =)

That was a bit mean hahaha

Is there a description of the smell for those to online? =) Im curious

Cool Breeze and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

No, I dont believe so. Its hard to describe. It is in no way shape or form a spicy smell like sandlewood. Its very aromatic but wont choke you out. Not a girly smell either. I guess Id have to say its a "clean light smell" but doesnt have a soapy or medicinal smell.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think the Luxury has a faint hint of lime.
    I've heard the Deluxe is very similar to Grey Flannel.

Either way, I do like the scent of each.

Omelmad and Cool Breeze like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: With a bit of practice, MWF rewards the user. It can certainly be more challenging at first to develop great lather, but once you have the process (or 'technique') down, the results are well worth the effort, IMO.
    Here's Mantic's 7-Tip take on the 'proper' MWF-Lather technique:

Omelmad, CyanideMetal and Cool Breeze like this.
  8. Omelmad

I know its hard to describe a scent but it actually sounds like something I would like =)

Good video, he got a great lather IMO

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Starting to regret my $40.00 fat purchase. That looks like alot of trouble. (video)

In the video he says;
    Swirl twice as long,
    Tip3 soak brush,
    Tip4 use dry brush,
    May have to dip brush 4 or 5 times,
    He says, even if you dont get good lather, youll still get a good shave.

Im gonna soak my brush, swirl for 40 sec. and face lather. If I have to add water or keep messing with it, its gonna be my next PIF.
    I paid for it so Im gonna give it a shot. Its supposed to be here friday.
    I'll be sure to let you know how it works for me.

10. swarden43

He has admitted to having soft water which makes lathering just about any soap a breeze.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

IMHO MWF is the best soap there is. I have hard water and it makes the best lather. Be patient and you will be rewarded. If you absolutely do not like it you cm PIF it to me. Lol

Omelmad and Cool Breeze like this.
  12. swarden43

I refuse to "be patient" and struggle with any soap when there are so many great soaps out there that are so much easier to lather.

13. Omelmad

Why is it so expensive? It feels like it should be easier to lather...

Lol.. I LIVE in Sweden. The tapwater here is cleaner than bottled water. That's probably as soft as water gets. Good thing i never blamed the water when I had problems getting a good lather =P

That might be the point with the soap. U struggle so much that once U get it right your brain releases endorphins and when you're done shaving U think you're happy because of the soap =P

Cool Breeze likes this.
  14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Because its imported from Scotland, handled in "speciality" shops, must be ordered online, isnt on every drugstore and walmart shelf in every state of the US.
    Im going to buy property in Outer Mongolia, open a factory and produce a shaving soap called "frog teeth" it wont lather unless you hop on one foot, close one eye, use hot water then cold water, soak your brush then dry your brush, make 17 trips to the sink to get the perfect amount of water and hum a Michael Jackson song. Ill charge $40.00 for a tub and $19.95 to ship it to you. People will backorder by the thousands.
    I'll be rich.

jeraldgordon and imGrunt like this.
  15. Omelmad

I can only love the sarcasm hahahaha. I watched the video firar time without sound, just read the captions. But i just watched it again.. Some part of me want to say "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" and some part of me is saying PAAAAASS =P

16. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yea, I ordered BEFORE I saw the video. I paid for it so I'll give it an honest go.
    I would rather throw money in the trash than spend it on somthing that sucks.

17. Omelmad

I think using your method you will manage to get good lather. U know when to stop swirling. U don't count seconds and what not =P

Cool Breeze likes this.
  18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Like alot of others, I feel like there are plenty of soaps that practically lather themselves when you pick them up to have to mess with a $40.00 tub you have to fight with.

I can see it now, I'll be staring at the 4 tubs of VDH On my sink while Im wrestling with this Sheep soap. I just hope I dont throw it.
    :)

19. Omelmad

From what i've read it can actually be kind of rewarding to use this soap

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yea, alot of people like it.
    And according to the video, its fairly easy soap to lather.
    All you have to do is soak your brush, then, dry your brush. Make (I believe he said) 4 to 5 trips back to the sink for water. etc.
    Yea, Im giving mine 1 minute 40 seconds and a wet brush.
    If it works , smells good, I'll be satisfied. Still think its over priced. But I'll be happy.