Modern Made Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’ve been very busy the last few weeks hopefully this weekend I’ll have time. I have a big honing touch up session coming so I’ll get out the moderns and take a picture.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I definitely look forward to it.

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  3. Keithmax

As promised here is my modern collection: razors are named left to right. I expect one more, a Drew Dick to arrive tomorrow.

Ed Brice, Joe Edson, PRC, Wacker, Mike Martinez and the big one the right is also a Mike Martinez
    ID - 2.jpeg

Row1: Silverloaf, Koraat 14 2.0, Art Razor Saga. Row 2 Hart Steel, Koraat, Jerry Stark Row 3: Hart Steel, Koraat, Mastro Livi Gifrettto
    Row 4 Dovo Bismarck 2, Brian Brown, Mastro Livi Gifretto. Row 5: Dovo Master's, Brian Brown
    ID - 4.jpeg

Row1: Riga Razor, Osiris. Row 2 Riga Razor, Robert Williams. Row 3 Herr and Razor, PRC, PRC. Row 4 Ali's Blades, Rasurpur, Silverloaf
    ID - 1.jpeg

JACarbone, jgreenepa, JPO and 16 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

It's a shame we can only click on the like tab once. This number of fine razors deserves many more likes. Very nice collection. Which are your favorites? Which are your least favorites, and why??
    :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

5. Keithmax

Thank you. This is a dissapointing answer but it is hard to pick a favorite. The Jerry Stark razor is one that I will sell, it is just 5/8 and a full hollow, it is just light for me. The Mike Martinez razors hold their edge for a long time, The Riga Razors take very sharp edges and the Dovos and Mastro Livi's are a joy to shave with, I do like the shelterless design. I also have a preference for smiling razors.

6. DaltonGang

Thanks for the answer.
    I do like the looks of the RigaRazors. That and I've heard very good things about them. Plus, the prices for them seem to be much more reasonable. If I were to get one, I might try a Riga Razor for those reasons. If I was able to sneak them by the wife, I would have one of each that you have.
    Thanks for sharing.

7. Keithmax

I highly recommend them, they have hard steel and take very sharp edges. The are beautifully finished too.

8. Keithmax

I should add my favorite two custom makers to work with are Koraat and Ed Brice. Koraat has a cool customizes and Ulrich is very responsive. Working with Ed is like getting a bespoke suit, start from a blank sheets and he works with to create the design.

9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

!!! Where do I buy the pinup poster?

Also, now I have my first scale project - ‘K scales’ for my Henkotsu.

Thanks for sharing! :):):)

10. Snailforge

Snailforge Active Member

With the lack of a makers mark, the geometry and the overall finish, that doesn't look like it was made by someone who actually shaves with straight razors.

11. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I’ve been slow in getting these two 1/4 hollow razors from my local cutler, Portland Razor Company, posted to this thread.

The Gustave and the Sprite, one a full size 7/8, one a 5/8 detail razor, both made out of O1 steel.

9C469B6D-3682-404A-935F-EC5C4797BFB2.jpeg
    8D2F2D2B-E4BF-4FF1-93A0-C5E6024082F1.jpeg
    1A757149-8DA5-45AC-AC52-1A948E1A5980.jpeg

JPO, Karl G, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Both are very nice looking razors.

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Great thread, thanks.

14. Keithmax

Posted more pics in the acquisition thread but here is my newest artisan razor, Snail Forge 8/8. I also forgot to post a Drew Dick that arrived in late November.

ID - 1.jpeg ID - 3.jpeg ID - 1 (1).jpeg

15. DaltonGang

16. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I have a blades grim razor I just got. I have only used it once so far but that one shave was amazing. To me it looks like it has factory edge on it. It was one of the best shaves I have had in a while. I absolutely love it. With that said I would not pay the 295 dollars it is listed on blades grim site. To me it's more of a 100-150 razor. I was lucky and got mine for 10.50. It shaves just as good and smooth as my super kikuboshi. I love grim reapers and have wanted a blades grim blade since I started shaving. I'm so happy I have one now. I will say this. It is not hollow grind. I would say it's closer to a near wedge than a half hollow grind.

20191225_150028_compress1.jpg 20191225_150033_compress13.jpg 20191225_150046_compress26.jpg 20191225_150058_compress40.jpg 20191225_150102_compress77.jpg

17. Keithmax

It has some resemblance to my Hart Steel razors, which I I like. I wonder who is making the razors for them? Enjoy!

18. Suhrim21

All of their razors look very similar to hart. My guess is hart makes the blanks and they finish them. I dont know for sure but either way 10.50 for a 300 dollar razor I couldn't pass it up. And I'm glad I got it.

19. Keithmax

$10! I thought that was a typo. That is an amazing buy.

20. Suhrim21

Nope it wasn't a typo. Yeah it was an amazing buy. I was watching that auction and couldn't believe no one bid on it since they normally sell for about 150.00. So when it had one min left and starting price of 10.50 I jumped on it then bout had a panic attack thinking it was going to get hit hard with bids. But nope no one bid on it. The thing really looks like it was never used. It also had the box that looks new as well.