Modern Made Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I may be disremembering, but maybe there was some mention about these being TI? The scales are TI shape, but the grind is not, however I suppose you could order what you wanted with an appropriately sized order. Look at the bevels, if they’re wavy, it’s probably a TI, lol!

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    They have a Hart look because Tim Z went and helped them get set up to make their own razors.

They make those Grimm razors themselves and have come a long way since they first appeared on the scene

This is NOT a recommendation, but it is saying that their razors have improved by leaps and bounds over their initial offerings they hone well and shave just fine

I have no affiliation with the company, but the owner and I have been friends since before they started

jgreenepa, Karl G, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  3. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

That's great. I do love the razor and I couldn't ask for a better price. It does shave great and is among my favorite razors. Since you are friends tell him they make a fantastic razor. I absolutely love it.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is my dilemma. I've been mulling over the purchasing of either a nice custom made Koraat 14-2.0 or a NOS Filarmonica 14.
    So, between these two razors, which would you guys prefer? Pros? Cons??

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Both very nice! I think that Koraat is not currently taking orders due to high demand according to a friend of mine when we spoke a couple of days ago. Filly 14 NOS can be difficult to find, but they aren’t really rare, you just have to find them before someone else buys them. Both are good investments I believe, a NOS F14 will likely be more $ than a Koraat though, depending on which model that it is.

The highest Filly is the EPBD, the one with the grommet on the tang, followed by some Gen 1 models like the Especial. Gen 2 Novodur and Sub Cero have both risen a bit, maybe 25% over the past year, or at least what people are asking for them. Doble Temples are still fairly plentiful and relatively reasonable, and they shave just as well.

Good hunting Scott!

6. DaltonGang

You are correct. Not taking new orders, for now.

7. DaltonGang

Well, I've acquired some Filarmonica razors, and they are very nice. I now have the Fili bug out of my system.
    So, I'm calling on all you "Enablers" out there, to post pics of your Koraats. I've been wanting one for a while, and need the encouragement to spend the money. Also, tell us what you think of them.

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Here are the two I have:
    E558D5E2-BBC5-460A-B594-537AEE5DCD98.jpeg
    The one on the left is a few years old (purchased it 2nd hand in 2017) but the one on the right is recent.
    1AACE299-7AFA-4F98-884F-9CF9D210DCC9.jpeg
    This is his “Sheffield” model. I guessed at what was probably put in the configurator and came up with this:
    “Square point; plain spine; Antique finish; Polished hollow (30); scale design f; streaked horn (30); full hollow Sheffield (65); fine serrations in notch (15); nickel silver bullseye rivets”

I love the contrast between the finish on the tang and the face, and here is a view of the notch:
    FE668C52-EA48-4D49-B3BF-1CFEE2DEFC9F.jpeg
    His grinding looks amazing on his homage to the Filarmonica, but here is what the Sheffield grind looks like:
    A7BD996F-E959-4C64-8C50-3E8357897CDA.jpeg

But my favorite is the older one, it has a cool look and feel… never looked to see if I could recreate it on the config.
    9FF59443-8459-4124-8F18-7FE3EF74BBEC.jpeg
    All polished and a unique tang, as it feels like a double notch.
    A543BE24-9DB5-4C74-9A13-88014B4DA70C.jpeg
    And this one is beefy, near wedge’ish.
    7B7EE871-ED4F-4417-8848-0E0FFC40A32D.jpeg
    And take a look at the width of the old spacer… I love the look. :)
    806814F9-94B7-4474-BEFB-911728704E81.jpeg

So are you leaning any certain way? Homage to a Filly or old Sheffield, or having some fun with a finish like Keith’s Splash?

Stefano73, JPO, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Veery nice looking blades. I havent seen the Near Wedge one before.
    I've been wanting one of their thinned out 14-2.0 Bellied Hollow blades.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Here are my 3 Koraat razors. Ulrik is very responsive and easy to work with, plus he is the fast custom razor maker I dealt with. All my razors are 7/8th and I used their configurator and then discussed fine details with Ulrik. Two are 1/4 hollow and one is a double bellied full hollow (14 2.0). All have excellent steel and have been easy to maintain. Highly recommended.
    ID - 1 (2).jpeg

Stefano73, jgreenepa, Hammer8 and 7 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Excellent. Which is your favorite?

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Of the three my over all favorite is the 14 2.0. I went with the double bellied grind because I was worried about the edge flexing. The 'splash' motif razor is a close second.

13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Scott..Here is a Very Good Thread on Koraats...Mine is a 15/16th..Model 14 -2.0..Sporting Translucent Sapphire Blue Acrylic Scales..They are Beautiful Razors..I Find that it Needs Well Oiled around the Hinge Pin Area or it Can Rust..But..Dont Let that Put Ya Off..Is the Steel Better than My Vintage Steel Razors...Probably Not..But they are Summit to Behold in the Hand..:happy088:
    https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/koraat.14815/

Billy..:chores016:

jgreenepa, JPO, Hammer8 and 5 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

That is about the exact one I envision having made. Very nice. BTW, I just signed up on ATG.

15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  16. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I realize I’m late to the party, but don’t forget Victor Creazzi! I own two of his fancy pattern-welded Damascus razors, and love them. He is unique in that he has developed a modified SanMai technique in which he forge welds a piece of 1095 steel into the Damascus billet for the edge. This avoids the problem with pattern-welded Damascus of having forge welds in the edge. They are both great shavers! He also makes 1095 monosteel, which are cheaper than his fancy razors. He is a master razorsmith!

E9E0CE77-9F0A-4C08-80C7-C157491A01AD.jpeg 14BE2A85-88EC-4B03-87DD-3A654012686F.jpeg

Stefano73, gssixgun, JPO and 4 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Nice razors. They are works of art.

18. DaltonGang

Do you have a link to his site??

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here ya go Scott,

https://bluesmanblades.com/

I’d like to have a pair but I’m not crazy about the nose shape. He has a rep for doing a great hollowgrind.

jgreenepa, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  20. DaltonGang

I like everything about what he is doing, except the nose. A Dreadnaught shape would look great, in my eyes.

jgreenepa, Karl G and Steve56 like this.