Mongoose Owners Razor Society (MORS)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. R41

R41 Member

hempel and ikon handles have a narrow and straight ending just like the mongoose handle. but most other brands like maggards have a rounded and wider opening.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Can't speak to that.

3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

+1

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed it - and came up with an easy fix. Get some #10 stainless steel split washers at your local hardware store.

[​IMG]

Above is a Maggard Razors MR3.

As others have mentioned some other brands of handles do not have this issue. Also, the Alumigoose 2 has more space before the angled part of the base, so no fix is necessary to use a Maggard handle on one of those.

I love my Jurgen Hempel Titanium handle (which does not have the flare) but it wasn't cheap.

--Bob

Boojum1 and R41 like this.
  5. R41

R41 Member

The mongoose is a nice shaver but it does have flaws in the design area. I can name quiet a few of them actually. I don't know how all 4 of the people who were testing and designing the mongoose missed out on them and it seems like different mongooses have different designs based on the different machine shops they used. I've never seen any other razor to have that.

6. kenloupa

kenloupa Active Member

I'll be getting the Alumigoose in black soon. Looking forward to trying it! Can you add me to the club list too? Thanks!

Redfisher likes this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Design flaws???

Redfisher likes this.
  8. R41

R41 Member

sure. i just mentioned one in an earlier post about the space where the handle meets the baseplate. If I use my Muhle or DE89 handle which have wide rounded opening, part of it will extend over the angled part of the base plate.

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I don't see that. My DE89 handle fit just fine on the Mongoose B-3, AlumiGoose 1, and the Alumigoose 2. Even if what you say were true it would have no effect on the shave.

Redfisher likes this.
  10. R41

R41 Member

Maybe yours came from a different machine shop as they have changed machine shops quiet a few times as far as i know. even if it doesn't effect the shave it's still a flaw, and there are a few more flaws that I can point out. I had a batch 2 that i don't recall having this flaw and i used my Muhle handle with it. When it extends over the angled part, there is a very slight gap so the cap and baseplate don't clamp together tightly as they should. When using the stock handle, they clamp down perfectly with no issues. again, different machine shop, different razor.

11. Redfisher

I've used 5 or 6 different handles with no issues whatsoever. I'm thinking pictures are needed here....

clint64 likes this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm going out tonight so time for a second SOTD.
    Trumpers Lime with added menthol.
    Stirling Finest Badger
    Mongoose
    Feather Pro (1)
    Alum
    Nancy Boy AS Balm
    Fine L'Orange AS
    Have a great evening![​IMG]

13. Redfisher

Anyway the alumigoose aka the grey goose did a fine job today with a fresh pro super. So light compared to other razors I've been using but a fantastic shave!!

image.jpeg

navy mac, clint64 and mrchick like this.
  14. R41

R41 Member

Here is a pic with my muhle handle. Not sure how well it shows in the photo but there is a slight gap where the handle meets the baseplate because part of the handle extends to the angled part of the baseplate preventing the head to clamp down tightly. The stock handle that came with it does not have this issue because the opening is not as wide.
    0709161751a.jpg

mrchick likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Well that helps quite a bit. All I could say would be don't use that handle.

16. R41

R41 Member

I don't, but it's the same with other handles that have a larger opening diameter than the stock mongoose handle. This includes all Maggard handles, EJ, Muhle, parker etc... I like the stock handle but as i mentioned earlier it wants to turn and twist because of the knurling. I hope the Mongoose team would pay more attention to the design details in the future.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I understand the frustration with not being able to use some of the other handles you have. However, many other handle makers have handles that readily work with the Mongoose head.

Now as to this being a design flaw. I am not sure how the Mongoose team is responsible for insuring their razor heads work with handles made by other makers. Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.

Bussemand and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Maggard MR20 handle works great.

clint64 likes this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

20. R41

R41 Member

It's definitely a flaw because if they moved the thread back a little or if they moved the angled part forward a bit, this would not be an issue. I mean I have many many DE razors and I've never had this issue with any of them. I honestly think it's a machine shop inconsistency as I don't recall having this issue with my batch 2 (maybe it did, i don't have it anymore so i can't check). I just looked at a few different batch 1, batch 2 and 3 pictures on google and the angled part looks different in some of them. I'm a bit upset because some of my favorite handles won't fit properly with the mongoose head.

clint64 likes this.