Mongoose razor offerings

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Apr 3, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

2. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Aaaarggghhh - beat me!
    Mine is "out for delivery"....

That handle looks most amazing with the goose head!!

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Clint. It's 15mm X 85mm X 106.5g. Way heavier than your Ti I'm sure, but it looks great.

5. Boojum1

Thank you gentlemen.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes, the Ti is only 62g, the light weight helped with the Super Blades.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@clint64 / @Boojum1 / anyone else with a goose.

Right away today as I unbox the Mongoose I notice some rather deep grooves/imperfections in the top cap (see photo below).
    They are so prominent that I can feel them with my finger if I run it over the area.
    Not too happy and emailed them asking about it.

Is this common with the Goose head?

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey and hrfdez like this.
  8. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

Embrace the milling, I love mill marks on stainless.

I used to make putters and players used to love those deep mill marks from the CNC machine.

I also used a Bridgeport when making handmade putters. Maybe I should start making handmade razors, I still have all my machines :)

9. Boojum1

Sorry DB, no marks or grooves on the Mongoose that I received. It doesn't look like their quality control is very good. I'd be real unhappy and definitely contact them. Send them the pictures too. I'd be :angry032: to say the least. No problem with my handle either.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    wristwatchb and Darkbulb like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I then started to nitpick and went through every part of the razor;

a) The marks/grooved on the topcap as shown above,
    b) The baseplate has a 'fingerprint-looking' mark permanently etched into the satin finish:
    [​IMG]

c) The handle has a deep groove around the top ring on the handle you can feel with your nail:
    [​IMG]

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If I didn't already own a few stainless steel razors including the Tradere, Wolfman, Pils, etc I might not have cared but in comparison this is the only NEW stainless steel razor I've ever bought with marks like these. At this point the only thing I'll embrace is a replacement razor.

hrfdez likes this.
  12. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

I understand buddy. The handle does look pretty bad. And at the end of the day, for the money, you should get what you want. I'm with you, that was my industrialist side talking :)

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

Guys/Owners, what kind of handles can be use with this head, eg., ATT, Weber, etc?

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, just heard back from Mongoose so it seems I'll be able to get a replacement;

From Mongoose:
    "Argh! That should not have happened. We'll have you send the razor back (we'll reimburse your first class return postage) and send you out a replacement razor and handle. The marks on the bottom plate are not a finger print, but are actually machine marks. Since they are on the inside, we do not remove them. But the other marks are not supposed to be there. Shoot it back and we'll make it right.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but we'll make sure you're satisfied."

As others have commented on how good their customer service is I feel better now and hopefully in a week or two I'll have a 'better goose'.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's good news, I was pretty sure that was going to be the answer. Nothing lost but a few days.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think I can spot a grey hair.

clint64 likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Mine has been going grey since my mid 30s and I am running out of non grey hair. ;)

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Time to start headshaving :D

clint64 likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not likely. Grey is becoming a favorite color of mine. :D Much easier that way.

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Boojum1

That would be Geezer Gray, also a fav of mine. :happy088:

Darkbulb and clint64 like this.