Month of DE shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jjadamsfb, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

I finally got all of my items that I have ordered to start shaving. I am going to follow GDCarringtons advice of sticking with one setup for a month to work on technique. I am going to keep posting in this thread every day so I can track my progress.

So here is my setup:
    Mid 20th century English Gillette Tech - no date codes
    Gillette 7'o clock blades - will have to check which model I have now
    H.I.S synthetic shave brush
    Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood and Pepper soap in tin

First shave: Have not shaved since Friday night (I work nights so this is usually before work). I did not shave after a shower like I had been doing, just a minute or so of a hot towel. Was able to build the best lather I have created so far, but it is still not the photo worthy lathers that I have seen. It seemed that the later stayed in the brush and did not want to come out, but it painted/lathered the face well.

The shave was surprisingly easy, no tugging at all, I was having to double takes to see if anything was actually getting cut. I did a two pass shave, making sure my wrist was locked the whole time and focusing on the angle.

Results/Comments: Shave went well the sides of the face came out a B. The neck area could use some work, 2 minor nicks/weepers, they both closed up with cold water. I need to figure out how the angle works there, that will be my focus for learning tomorrow (er tonight).

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

You have a great start-up products. When i had started out the neck was a difficult also. I found that it was about pressure, the less amount of pressure worked the best. Each time you shave it will improve.

PLANofMAN, Slipperyjoe and alpla444 like this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Sounds like a great start, Scott. I still have trouble with my neck if I'm not careful and have resigned to not going ATG unless I am extra, extra careful and have a great lather. Stick with it and just remember...........the shaves will keep getting better and better.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Good luck, its good advise to stick with things the same for a month or so as its all to easy to blame something for a bad shave (rather than your self) you can always post your shaves in the SOS section and keep track of them there:)

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Dito...

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great going Scott!
    Nice set-up!

7. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Welcome and it looks like you off to great start. My neck still gives me trouble too and I skip the ATG unless
    I'm having a really good shave.

8. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Shave two: A much more normal day of shaving. I got a bit more lather today, I added more water, I will see if that has been the thing I have been missing on. I did a 3 pass shave today as a test. After the second pass the sides of the face were good, but you could see that the third pass was needed. The neck after two was better but still not where I want it. After the third pass the sides are good, 1/2 of my neck is B+ the other half is still probably a C. Seems getting the right side is the hardest, probably did not help having a light bulb go out on me. I have noticed that face seems to be showing the follicles more using the safety razor. This is happening even on the smooth parts, is this something other people are noticing?

9. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I too noticed this when I first started wetshaving. I have really dark facial hair and no matter how smooth it feels, it can still show. At first this bothered me a bit, but it seems to get better with time, and some areas stay darker than others.

I never get that "Super Clean" look that I used to with cartridges, but i don't experience the razor burn or post shave itching either. Certain razor/blade combinations seem to affect this slightly as well, at least for me.

KLF and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There are two answers:
    Wet shaving is about beard reduction, so you will get to the point where you can do the extra passes required to make most of that disappear or get a more aggressive razor that does the same thing in less passes. Now I want you to forget that I said that for a couple of months. Your face isn't ready for that yet, and your skill isn't to that point yet. That's not critisism of your technique, it's just a fact. It will take your skin a few months to get used to all the new stuff being thrown at it.

All the hype about cartridge razors lifting the hair follicle so it cuts it off beneath the skin is actually true. Unfortunately, this is not a good thing. It helps Gillette and other companies sell soothing aftershave balms (which I never remember seeing before three-bladed cartridges came out) and causes razor burn, swelling, ingrown hairs and weepers.

Hope that helps!

burnout961 and KLF like this.
  11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I thought it's only me who has this problem. I know that with the multi-cartridge the face gets a very smooth look and I'm kinda frustrated I can't get the same with the DE. However today I finally found a good angle for the razor and for the first time I understand what means "to lock the wrist", it really helped. So, you(we) need lots and lots of patience and to know it takes time to really understand the advises we get here.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I couldn't agree more. After 5 months of DE and straight shaving I'm just now perfecting little spots. Directly under my chin gets so clean and smooth! Just got to be patient and enjoy each and every accomplishment.

Unfortunately I didn't follow the 30 day rule.... would of saved me a good amount of cash, and help me learn patience. What I'm focusing on now is documenting my shaves to get a feel for what works for me.

Shave on!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. red436

red436 Member

Congratulations you are doing better than I did my first shaves. However I would like to point out for me on the neck if I wash it well then using a hot towel for about two minutes and shave my neck before my face. I have no more nicks in that area. Half of your neck being a B+ may be attributed to differences in the grain of
    either half. Or the preference in handedness.

14. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

When I first started, some days I had a good shave; other days I had a bad shave with cuts and weepers. I found out I had to maintain a good blade angle to the face and lock my wrist to keep that good angle. After a while, everything seemed to come together and I was getting the correct angle without thinking about it. You seem to have reached this point a lot faster than I did. It won't be long before you will be getting a BBS shave.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now you are really beginning to understand why I am a big time proponent of the 30 day rule. :happy088:

16. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Thanks for all the comments guys, glad I am not the only one to have these issues or questions.

Day Three: Today I decided to do the neck as a S to N action instead of N to S as I do the rest of my face. I feel that two passes that way seemed to be more equivilent to 2 passes on the rest of my face. There are still patches left after the third pass (but I always seemed to have problems with that area with the cartridges). I was also thinking does anyone use a mirror located anywhere besides a regular wall mirror? And if so did you notice a different when trying to shave the neck.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When I was learning I used a swing out accordion armed wall mounted mirror which could provide front and back coverage with my main bathroom mirror but I rarely use it now.

wall mirror.jpg

18. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Day 4: I was probably a little too aggressive today. Quite a bit of weeping today, and some dang itchy neck took 2 applications of balm to get it to quite down. The neck is slowly getting better, but still not up to par. The jaw line was the worst part today. I also think going to day 4 on this blade was a bad idea. Definitely did not seem to shave as well and as easily as previous days. New blade tomorrow, same type and brand - will have to post what it is when I switch out.

19. Rascal

Rascal Active Member

I just started my new shaving adventure not that long ago. Reading your posts a lot of it sounds familiar. I learned a lot in the last month about my face and shaving. I worked on trying to figure out which direction to shave to get my face as smooth as possible with very little irritation. I just experimented and when I first started I only did 2 passes. 3 passes just seem to push it and I would get irritated and have a few weepers. I worked my way up to 3 passes and now I can even do some touch ups after it. I'm still learning about the proper technique to get the best shave on my face. I struggled with the angle for a while but once I got comfortable with the razor and the blade that started to correct the problem. You are surrounded by a lot of knowledge in a great forum.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

Day 5/6: Sod day 5 I took off. My neck was alittle sensitive from shave 4 so I figured take a day off and go at it again tonight. Tonights shave was with a new Gillette Blue 7'oclock blade, same as previously used. This was the best overall shave, but still not the BBS that tales have been told. I am starting to wonder if it is either the blade or razor that could be improved? I have ordered a 53 super speed, and will try it in a couple weeks to see how it goes, for now I will swap out to a new blade on day 8 and see if that makes a difference.