More useless dribble

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by southernscribbler, Sep 22, 2010.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

But what the heck, I'll ask anyway,

I just watched an informative program about the Levi Strauss Jean Co. Made me wonder, what is your preference of denim jeans? I know there have been many times when rearing the kids, that "store brand" jeans were the best we could do financially, and the fights that ensued because of "I can't be seen in these!". So, to make my point of leading by example, I too, wore the Rustler brand from Wally world and the store brand from the French Tailor, JC Penney, and they fit the need. But my favorite out of the Brand name jeans have been and always will be, Levi's.

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Wrangler all the way for me. I've never tried a pair of Levi's that fit me right, ever.
    Plus, I can't see paying more for such a utilitarian thing like blue jeans

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I was too young to buy my own clothes, I HAD to have Levi 501's, and thankfully my parents agreed. I wore 501's with Nike high-tops everyday.

When I got out of the Navy and started driving trucks, I started buying Rustler from Wally because they were all of $7.00 a pair and driving trucks for a scrap yard was hard on clothes.

I learned that Rustler are basically Wrangler factory seconds AND that the point where the legs meet the seat (gusset?) of the jeans on Wrangler are a "U" shape and with Levi's, that area is a "V" shape. For me, the Wrangler "U" is WAY more comfortable and fits me better than the Levi "V" so I prefer Wrangler to Levi.

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I knew that Rustler was a Wrangler brand, lower tier thing, but I never noticed the "U" and "V" thing with Levi's, most likely because I've only had one pair of Levi's that I got for Christmas one year, and only wore a few times because they were terribly uncomfortable (right size and everything, just didn't fit right).
    And being that I never cared of fashion or fads of the time, it wasn't a big deal.
    But the shape thing very well could explain it - perhaps we're too manly for the Levi's to handle? :cool:

5. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Levi straight leg boot cut 501's for me. They are great and hold up well.

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

This show that was on Cnbc was showing where some folks were digging through their old jeans that had been stashed away for years, only to discover that some of those are selling in excess of $1,000 a pair in specialty shops. I kid you not! Very interesting documentary.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ha! I am rich!

<sneaks off to kype Levi's from the laundromat>

8. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I love the way Levi's look on other people, just not me. I haven't found a pair that fit right.

I've recently discovered the Easy Fit from GAP. They fit wonderfully with a slim vintage style cut. And when I say vintage I'm not talking about this super-low-rise boot-cut crap that stores are trying to pass off as vintage. I mean vintage like 40's-50's Levi's. But they fit me better than Levi's.

9. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Target carries a brand called authentic by levi's. I picked up 2 pairs of their straight legs for $17 each and they have been really good too. Even the old lady approved since I got them all by myself.

10. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

If I wear jeans (rare occasions), I like the Red Head brand from Bass Pro Shops but I also used to wear Wrangler and Rustler. Kind of depends on what's on sale and who has my size.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Honestly, I get what is ever cheapest at Ross or TJ Max.

I have some Wrangler and Levi's Jeans. Both seem to hold up well for me. I am not a fan of Lee as they don't fit me well.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I buy relaxed fit JC Penney brand, they are inexpensive and comfortable but the actual quality of the fabric though hardy is cheap looking.

In the Bay area though clothes are not about utility but status. $400 jeans means you are someone, less and you should go and kill yourself , loser, :rolleyes:.

My Moroccan brother in law, is 22. He wanted fashionable skinny jeans . I got and sent him the Levis variety because they were inexpensive . The Levis brand still has some cache abroad perhaps because one guy spotted him wearing them and offered him 500 Dirhams for them , about $60.In Morocco they might still represent an American classic.

13. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I once heard that people would bring suitcases of jeans over to the Soviet Union and make a fortune because Western clothing was the trendy thing then. Not sure how much truth there is to that, though.

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Reformation Student

I think its true, during the 80's it was taken for granted that there was a huge market for Levis in the old Soviet Union and that American jeans were chic among Russians at the time.

Certainly news broadcast, movies, tv, gave that impression.