Most Caffiene

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Feb 7, 2008.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Alright, all you tea drinkers:

Which tea has THE most caffiene and where can I git me some ??

2. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

4. rick

OK.
    Ive had Earl Grey and assorted English Teas, black teas, etc.
    Are they all pretty much equal in terms of caffiene ?
    I guess I'm looking for the espresso of teas cause as much as I love coffee, sometimes I need a change of pace.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I hear ya, Rick. Personally I go for Assam or Lapsang Souchong when I need caffeine but don't wanna go for a cuppa joe.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Personally I go to Gunpowder Green. I sit bolt right up in my chair, eyes wide open, teeth chattering and after a minute or two I start to do hand stands and cartwheels. I will bow to the knowledge of Stashtea.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Just be careful you don't wreck the house, jb :D

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Some good suggestions here. However for the most part Tea will never come close to matching Coffee in caffeine amounts.

I did some looking up and the general range for caffeine in Teas is around 40-50mg of caffeine per 8 ounces, compared to over 100 with coffee for the same amount. Remember though that by default Black Tea will also have slightly more than any Oolong or Green due to how Black Tea is produced. You might some slight variation (It is a natural product after all) but these are the general rules. For example, Gunpowder which is a green tea will NOT have as much Caffeine as Earl Grey.

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

So how would you react to Black Tea, which has double the amount of Caffeine as Gunpowder?

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Better delete that, I don't think I wanna know :D

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

True. However there may be other alkaloids in some of these teas that have similar effects as caffine. Hot chocolate has about 1/20th the caffine as coffee but some people get a similar, albeit not as strong, stimulus effect.

Coffees and teas are very complex compounds and just looking at the caffeine only tells part of the story. Also there is a lot of individual variation in how one responds to them.

Here's fun site:

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Only too true, caffeine only affects me in really large quantities, like 3 or 4 big cups of strong, black joe.

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I love Chai! I wouldn't know about the caffeine content (I doubt it's close to coffee), but the taste is just amazing!

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    When I was younger, I used to make coffee and tea from a bottled energy water that contained caffeine. That was some interesting stuff.
    :eatdrink013

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Sounds really interesting. Hyperactivity, here I come :D

16. rick

I reeeeeeeel-ly like chai.
    Anyone have a good home made recipe to share ??

If so, post HERE

17. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I don't have a recipe, but the oregon chai mix is REALLY good.

18. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

When I lived back home I had a good friend that owned a coffee shop. He was always letting me try some of his different experiments. After a few experiences I had there, I don't think I'll ever find caffine that comes close.

Made me feel like:

[​IMG]

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Interesting, thanks did not know about the caffine content. Thanks for the info Yukio.

20. riffin

riffin Active Member

I like mixing hot chocolate with different things. Mocha is my standard. Plain hot choc seems like it's missing something :)

The Trader Joe's Spiced Chai mix is good. I like to put a scoop of it in hot choc. I also like to steep a strong cup of Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea (w/ rhooibos) and use this make hot choc. They have a line of chai and red teas (also w/ rhooibos) that I haven't tried. I wonder how the Red teas compares to their Sweet & Spicy.

My current favorite energy drink is Totally Light 2 Go Citrus Energy Rush. Cheap, powdered, individual serving packets. It has a powdered lemonade flavor. I like it because it has taurine and caffeine. That works better for me as a pick-me-up.

For a different flavor, I like Yerba Mate. I don't know much about the caffeine level.