Musings upon our reality

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bama Samurai, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Soy is awful for men. In Middle Age, the last thing men need is to be drinking plant estrogen.

Drinking cow milk by humans is absurd if you think it through. No other species does it.

Why should adult humans drink a bodily fluid that is optimized for another species?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, you posted a follow up. I was wondering if it could be reduced to a single factor.

3. Bama Samurai

That reason is a large and convoluted topic. Better left in depth to another reality in another thread. A fairly well known guy stated that “love of money (greed)" was the root of all evil. The same holding companies that own the food producers and agri companies are gonna cure the problems they gave you with the drugs they spent millions upon in their Pharma divisions.

Brave New World by Huxley laid it all out seventy years ago.

Pass the Kool Aid

PickledNorthern, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

...and the Zesta crackers, please.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. wristwatchb

Points taken. What are your thoughts, then, on the risks of tobacco use?

6. Bama Samurai

I'll give you a real answeer, and please accept my following tone as respectful and know that I took your question seriously. I hold you in great esteem and will gladly teach you how to smoke if you need a new hobby. And if you're a true watch guy...pipes will suit your style. Artisan and exclusive for days! You won't have to smoke like an humble fisherman should you elect not to! ;)

Samurai on tobacco:

Statistically speaking...there is great risk in smoking commercial cigarettes. That is obvious, undebateable, and borne out by evidence. Commercial cigarettes are an engineered tobacco-based nicotine delivery system comprised of up to 400 additives. This involves deep repeated draws into the lungs, and makes it all that much worse. Lung cancer rates increased greatly after ww2 when cigarettes supplanted hand rolls as the primary cigarette. This is interesting to ponder.

However, you asked about tobacco. Tobacco in its pipe form carries a marginal to slightly elevated risk for lesions of the mouth, throat and esophagus compared to a non-smoker. As pipe smoke is not generally inhaled deeply, there isn't anywhere near as much risk of lung cancer, to the point where insurance companies statistically separate tobacco usage when assessing risk. An insurance study in the fifties found pipe smokers actually had identical or marginally higher life spans.

This actually touches on a deep belief. Plants in their natural forms are very different than synthetic and extracted preparations. For example, coca leaf tea is much like strong coffee. It's powdered sulfate salt precipitate is a very different beast.

So...commercial cigarettes are a bad idea. I don't know much about chew. Cigars have mixed chew and smoke issues. Clean tobacco, in moderation from a natural pipe? Probably not going to maim or kill the user, provided they take care of themselves and not ever go overboard. One late night bowl of ice cream daily is probably a good comparison of impact on life.

I do not encourage or discourage anyone from using pipe tobacco. It is an informed choice I make, and I concede that it can't be classified as "a good idea." See above.

Since I assume this was prompted by the wheat thing. Wheat is great, provided one isn't celiac. The problem is, you aren't eating the same wheat you knew as a kid. I only ask that you learn about it, and ponder the 300% explosion in "celiac disease" and "autism" in children since the 1980s. As a society, we need to be able to know what we are putting in our bodies, vice or virtue. All choices have consequences, many unfortunately, unforeseen.

Apologies for typos...it's late.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Frijolero, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

I think back in the day, my mom always had Saltine. The funny thing was, her parents (my grandparents obviously) kept Zesta at their house. Rebellious kids...

8. wristwatchb

Chris, thanks for the thoughtful and complete response. I've never considered the differences in tobacco use, and obviously you've looked into it quite deeply.

Your comparison to the "risk" of eating a late night bowl of ice cream reminds me that we all make lifestyle choices and have to live with the effects of our decisions.

I'll be honest in saying that I'm addicted to dairy and bread products. You've provided some food for thought, and I'll do some research as you suggest. Thank you.

We just returned from a trip through Italy, and it has been interesting to compare and contrast our western diet with their Mediterranean diet. Combine that with their smaller portion sizes and with their willingness to walk and bike rather than ride everywhere in the car...it was eye opening for us.

Visiting farmer's markets and eating local produce, especially what was in season, was common in the places we visited. It really stretched our thinking on the food and drink choices we make.

And we walked a lot more than we normally do, and my legs and knees felt better than they have in a long time.

Frijolero, RyX, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

10. Paul Turner

I think there are SOME important benefits for men. I suppose it's a "6 of one 6 of the other" thing. Helping with weight loss, improving cognitive function, aid for digestive issues...I'll take those benefits any day.

11. Paul Turner

Just came back from the supermarket. Went back to Almondmilk(Blue Diamond).

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cow juice seems to sour before I use a half gallon jug. I switched to cashew milk. I wouldn't drink a glass of it but it works to get raisin bran wet.

Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

All the rivers run into the sea yet the sea is not full.

Frijolero, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

I live in one of only two US states that receive all water from the sky. Hawaii is the other. No rivers flow in to Colorado.

Frijolero, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Oh, to cut down the sugar content??

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

More to not waste grocery money. I'm allergic to nothing I know of but folks around me have had issues with latex, onions, strawberries, salt, shellfish, and soy. Part of being a member of a group is modifying behavior to suit the Greater Good.

17. Paul Turner

Speaking of Colorado water, I just saw a story about Clear Creek in Golden, that reported that these days it isn't as "Clear" as it should be. I plan to do some walking along the path by the Creek, as part of my visit there. .

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  18. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Mammary secretions from a female mammal have a lot of estrogen in them. And, this estrogen is really estrogen, not a plant compound that one’s body confuses for estrogen. If you are worried about feminizing hormones, stay away from milk.

Bama Samurai is also correct that drinking milk—from any species—is unnecessary. Our digestive tracts lose the enzymes necessary to break down and assimilate it after about age 6. Not to mention some people lose the ability to metabolize lactose.

But, I still like my ice cream!

AGHisBBS, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

1. Lard
    2. Ghee
    3. Everything else.

20. Paul Turner

A correction-the story was about problems the Creek faces when the water is too LOW, not dirty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.