Must haves

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Medicdad417, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

What are your must have or must try blades and soaps that you would recommend to a newbie.?

2. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

All of em! Astra SP, Voskhod, and Feather are all popular here, with blades is best to get as big of a sampler pack as you can. Soaps, Arko, Tabac, and any Stirling are good places to start in my opinion. But seriously, everything is so YMMV that you have to try it all for yourself.

Tdmsu and 178-bplatoon like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm a fan of the Russian blades. Gillette Yellows, Voskhods, Ladas, Astra SPs... As for soaps, I like Stirling Soaps, TOBS creams and of course Shave Dens stuff.

wristwatchb and trey06dmd like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You should try every blade you can. Trying as many blades as you can is important in order to see which blades works for you and which don't. You should give TSD soaps a try along with VDH Delux for an easy to obtain, inexpensive local soap and Arko for an effective, inexpensive stick soap.:)

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    C. O. Bigelow SC (made by Proraso) is available at Bath and Body Works. VDH Luxury is a great local soap (Walmart/Target).

IDuck and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

As for blades, every beard is different, I would recommend a sample pack, My favorites are Astra SP and Personna Israeli Reds. Favorite soaps: Kilo of Cella croap and Van der Hagen hard soap both give great lather

exexpat93 likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Depending on where you live, there are four "must trys."

Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Soap.
    Wal*Mart, Walgreen's, Target, etc.

Real Shave Co. 2x Moisturizing Shave Cream.
    Rite Aid, T.J. Maxx

The Body Shop's Maca Root Shave Cream.
    The Body Shop.

C.O. Bigalow Shave Cream.
    Bath and Body Works.

The online options are endless.

Semogue Boar brush. If you don't like chipping paint, get one of the acrylic handled ones. Softest boar brushes on the market.

Astra Superior Platinum's get a lot of love here and at less than $10 per hundred shipped from Amazon, they are a good deal too. I recommend starting with a large blade sampler pack instead.

Spyder, Jim99, 178-bplatoon and 4 others like this.
  8. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

i REALLY like the "Top Ten Sampler" from TryABlade.com ... as it has the 10 most popular blades (probably according to his sales) and many of the ones already mentioned. remember, though, YMMV. when i'm getting someone started on this journey, i give 'em a tuck of derby (sharp but forgiving) to get started the first few days, suggest a couple packs of "Top Ten", and then have 'em follow the 'must have' 30 day rule (see @GDCarrington).

a tub of proraso green (same as the c.o. bigalow mentioned by @PLANofMAN ... except tub vs tube)

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You should make an order from Bestshave in Turkey. It is fun. I got two Arko sticks, some Arko High Performance shave cream, and the #6 brush. It takes about 5 weeks to get your stuff, but it is pretty cheap prices and when it shows up out of the blue it is really exciting.

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Everyone is going to have their own interpretation of what is the "best" but here are a few products that I can think of that have worked great for me:

Brushes:
    Omega S Synthetic brush
    Fine angel hair synthetic brush

Soaps:
    TSD soaps (any scent you like)
    Tabac
    Tiki Soaps
    Stirling
    Ogalalla Soaps/Aftershaves
    Soap Commander
    Mama Bears
    MWF
    LEA Shaving Puck
    Musgo Real Cream
    Vintage Soaps
    Kiss My Face Shaving Cream (can sometimes be found locally and is a great deal)

Aftershaves:
    Pinaud Products
    Aqua Velva
    GFT Spanish Leather
    Windsor
    TOBS Germyn Street
    Fine Aftershaves
    Folsom & CO. Black Powder, and Shambala

wristwatchb, Tdmsu, exexpat93 and 3 others like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I forgot about Kiss my Face, never used it myself.

A lot of people use it on top of soaps to create a "super lather" and it's found (I believe) in an unscented pump bottle at Whole Foods stores.

Edit: also in Limes, Mint and a few other varieties.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    wristwatchb, exexpat93 and trey06dmd like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The most important "must have" is technique ...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/30-day-rule-meet-the-30-day-focus-greater-flexibility.42673/

You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software or CLICK HERE!

13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

The choices are endless. Enjoy the journey!

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

There are some good blade samplers on Amazon. As for products, I suggest trying out Proraso products for starters. They are very user friendly.

exexpat93 likes this.
  15. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Blade sampler! Soaps, maybe try palmolive stick, MWF, Tabac... Again preference here is a personal matter.

exexpat93 likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes! I liked his systems so much that I started a thread for practice, discussion and sharing of info. Take a look at the thread and grab a blade sampler. My only real advice is pick a tool and master it! (H/t @swarden43 )

If you are interested, feel welcome to join the discussions!

!NEW! July 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

maybe not a "newbie" but someone who is a few months in...you know where im going with this...GILLETTE ADJUSTABLE, it is IMO a must have for anyone who is a convert...for a newbie, I would have to say (like others) VDH luxury soap is a great/easy soap and astra blades.

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

For blades I would recommend a blade sampler as many others have recommended.

For software for a newbie I would recommend The body shop maca root shaving cream. I always get great shaves with it, it's slick and protective and the price is really not bad.

wristwatchb and Slow Joe like this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ladas. Personna Lab Blue. Astra SP.
    TSD ISZ. MdC. MWF. Klar Kabinett. Tabac. Arko. Stirling MITA. Etc...

trey06dmd and Omelmad like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's almost like asking, "What's your favorite ______?" ;) :p