My 3-day boar brush break in

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BambulanceMan, Aug 2, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I tried something close to this. I soaked my new brush (Zenith) in the fridge for 24 hrs. and made lather and shaved with it, rinsed it out, dried it on a towel placed it back in the fridge for another 24 hrs. and repeated the process for 3 shaves. I would not consider my brush broken in or even close to being broken in. I'm sure I have less than 10 shaves on the brush so far. Maybe it will break in faster than normal but from here on I'm just going to use it until it's broken in. This is my first Zenith brush and I'm a big fan of the Omega 48's and 49's not so much with the Semogue. I do think this Zenith will be an excellent brush but it's going to take some time. Happy that it worked for you though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    RyX and Enrico like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I might have to eat my words on this. The Zenith brush mentioned above does seem to be breaking in faster than normal. I still do not consider it broken in but after about 13-14 lathers it's comfortable to use and a good lathering brush. Just needs a little more hair splitting.

RyX likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I'm at it again, bought another Yaqi Orbital ring 24mm Boar bristle brush around Black Friday sale time and well I seem to have a lot of brushes now and to daily break this brush it would take a lot of time, I resorted to the cold water in the fridge treatment and towel dry every 12 hrs approx again so I can enjoy the brush more. Lots of split end bristles that give the the brush softness.
    This time I added one drop only of dish soap to the cup of water that is filled 3/4 way up the length of the bristle to help in cleaning also. At the end of the 3 days I squeezed most of the water out & did a hair conditioner treatment and then used it. Good results and about 70-80% broke in boar brush I figure and with my large brush collection I will enjoy it more when it comes up in the rotation turn!
    I used it today and the brush performed well for its 1st time.
    Yaqi #1 Orbital ring 24mm boar bristle brush collage..jpg

Brush collage, Dec 23, 2021 .jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.