My Alum Block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Jayaruh, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Thankfully I haven't needed one. Have you ever considered not useing it?

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I use witch hazel and alum block. It is probably overkill, but it works for me. Today, it slipped out of my hand, but I caught it. It is still in one piece. I decided to memorialize the moment. One of the edges is getting sharp. It is 3.47 mm thick in the middle.
    alum_block5.JPG

3. ChinChopper

ChinChopper Member

I've been using the razo Rock alum stick and live it!

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Epicurean

Epicurean Active Member

Some things that seem like an anachronism, still work better for some people. I love this!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It broke today. I applied a little too much pressure.
    alum_block11.JPG

jeraldgordon and Drygulch like this.
  6. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Mine wasn't quite that thin. But I dropped it 2 weeks ago.
    Now I got a Gentleman Jon block with a case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096: After 9 months and just half way through I dropped my alum yesterday:angry032:

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I got this bar in March of 2014. I don't shave everyday, but I use alum after every shave and use it for grip for skin stretching.
    IMG_4045.JPG

Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have a razorock alum with the rubber grip at the bottom. I specifically bought it for the grippiness. It hasnt failed me yet.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

Can you just use those crystal deodorant sticks. I believe they have one specifically for men.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am still on my first alum block. It's smaller, but still has quite a bit of life in it. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I use the Crystal deodorant stick. its the same thing. And since its just Potassium Alum its pretty much unisex and I can get it locally!
    [​IMG]

jeraldgordon and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Picked up the very same at Whole Foods for $6. I'll use it strictly for shaving as I prefer an anti-perspirant for the pits.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am thinking of moving to the crystal for deordorant, but I use razorock for my alum block.

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Same here. Apparently, though, they do have a "men's" version. Near as I can tell from the website, though, it's the same crystal in a male-oriented packaging. Under their "Crystal ROCK" brand, they have a wide-body deodorant- same crystal, just shaped like a standard deodorant stick.

Something that caught my eye on the website- pre-moistened towelettes. The ingredients are listed as: Purified Water (Aqua), Potassium Alum (Natural Mineral Salts), Sodium Bicarbonate, Benzoic Acid (natural preservative), Zinc Gluconate (natural preservative). I'm wondering how shave-friendly the last three are as the towelettes almost sound like they might be an interesting addition to a dopp kit.

16. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

Make sure you buy the men's version. It contains Potassium Alum while the other contains Ammonium Alum. Potassium Alum is more natural and supposedly stings less.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Mine is not the "Mens" version and it is Potassium Alum. I guess it would be best to just check the label

18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Actually, the regular (women's?) one is also Potassium Alum.

Is suspect this is one of those cases where they make a product in grey for the men and pink for the ladies. Traditional sex roles at their finest.

19. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

I actually have the mens version and it says potassium alum and my wife has the pink one which says Ammonium Alum. Maybe that is the old versions and now they are all the same?

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ah.....alum blocks.
    When I first got back into wet-shaving, I bought a collection of these bad boys. Early on, they provided me good post-shave feedback on how I was doing with my DE razor. I used one fairly regularly, but eventually found them too drying for my sensitive skin. Since I now SR shave almost exclusively, I've never felt the need to go back to them. I still have a number of them...some unopened or unused. PIF perhaps?

Jayaruh and Bama Samurai like this.