Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.
I found another butterscotch (I mean caramel) Ever Ready Badger-lon 300BN shaving brush that was in need of restoring.
The last one I restored I re-knotted it with a synthetic; this time I wanted a nice badger.
I easily removed the old knot, removed the old adhesive and used an abrasive drum to bore it out. I installed a 20mm Shave Forge two banded badger.
Now it not only has a beautiful caramel color, but a great knot for many years of shaves.
And as always ......... more to come.
So not just restored. A big improvement over original.
I saw this unique brush and I wanted it BAD. I contacted the seller and pestered him to sell it from his set display ...... after a week he relented. I wasn't sure who made it, but I knew it was old. The top had lines of a Simpson Tulip, but it looked like a stretched Persian vase as well.
I know it's filthy, but when I received it I realized it was bone. Figured the masking tape would come off with warm soapy water, but I removed the knot first; it was a boar badger mix.
I was surprised to find it cleaned up rather well. The darkening was just the water soaked in to the bone.
I was amazed to find they threaded the bone.
Since the top was just a tube with out a bottom; I set to work to install a false bottom by glueing in a slice of cork re-enforced with epoxy.
I used a sanding drum to gently widen the open it up a 1/2 a mm and I made a 2mm spacer out of cork to set a 20mm two banded badger from the Shave Forge. Its over all height is 142mm tall and I set the loft at 48mm.
It feels amazing in the hand!
And as always ............ More to come.
Came out nice Keith.
Thank you Mike and Jim!
Beautiful job, Keith!
@Enrico that is sweet!!
Thank you gentlemen!
Just amazing work!
I bought this Star shaving brush back in October 2021. At the time I knew full well it was missing the base, but I like a challenge.
It has a pleasing keyhole shape, but not butterscotch enough for me. I mainly purchased it to prevent it from getting binned and as I said "I like a Challenge".
It's been a while since I showed how I do this, so here's some pics and brief descriptions.
First I cleaned the rock hard plaster out of the bottom ..... up to the narrowest part of the waist, then I filled it with epoxy. I measured from the seam and marked a level line, then sanded up to that line ...... maybe a heavy mm.
I then prepped the surface of the copper by sanding it by hand till it was flat.
I removed the knot
With clean flat surfaces I epoxied the copper to the bottom.
After trimming, filing, cleaning and polishing.
I carefully opened it with a Dremel drum sander to accept a 20mm two banded badger knot.
Rescued from the bin to years of enjoyable service.
And as always ...... more to come.
Thank you kindly, gentlemen.
That's amazing to me. What great work ... and what a fascinating hobby!
Thank you Dan.
Separate names with a comma.