My first brush restoration (work in progress...)

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by Raven312, May 4, 2013.

1. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I'm actually working on two brushes but this pictorial will be the one that will end up being my daily driver. I love the shape and how well it handles both soaps and creams. I expect to finish with it in a few days. I'm taking my time with it, trying to get it exactly the way I want. The handle will be dyed blue with a copper leaf band, then sealed with Crazy Glue. It's probably hard to picture, I know. I used to refinish furniture as a hobby, so this is pretty much the same thing (for me). Barbershop%20Brush%20Before[1].jpg Brush1[1].jpg Brush5[1].jpg Brush6[1].jpg Brush7[1].jpg

178-bplatoon and ohpaos like this.
  2. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

A Ravens Brush??! Woohoo! Can't wait to see more. The suspense will be murrrrrder.

3. Raven312

LOL! I'll have it done soon. I'm trying not to rush it - but probably will... LOL

4. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Nice, excited to see how it turns out. Keep us posted with your process.

5. Raven312

Definitely. I have this idea on my head and thought this brush would be perfect for it. We'll see. LOL

6. Raven312

So I'm not liking this brush right now mainly because I didn't find the blue I want yet. It's OK as it is but it's not what I envisioned so I'll revisit it in a couple of weeks. The velvet texture of the matte finish (my in-between stage) looked pretty cool to me. I think I'll probably go that route. As it is now, it needs a final sanding and wax but I don't think I'll bother.

Attached Files:

Jayaruh, ohpaos and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is stunning!

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very unique colored handle..I like it....:)

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Well, best keep working on it. Makes me think of one of my favorite books... FWIW I like the handle.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
    Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

ohpaos, Tjebbe and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like it too. Good work.

11. Raven312

Thank you for your kind words. I think I know what I'm going to do, but for now I'm going to simply enjoy it. I love the size and the slightly stiffer pure badger hair.