my first DE, baili bd191

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Luca, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

I think you gave up way to early. In my opinion milder razors require a much better technique (in holding the sweet spot/angle) than more aggressive ones. Because you rarely feel the blade (if at all) you tend to use even more pressure - similar to a cart - especially if coming from carts, you may think you don't, but your muscle memory needs to be reprogrammed and that takes time and practice.

The Baili Upgrade Head (aka Razorock Teck II) is my favorite next to my American Tech (I own 34c, R89, Gillette Adjustables, 4x Gillette Tech, Fatip Piccolo MK1/MK2, Yaqi Mellon, 5xBaili) - originally a BD176, I use the Baili Upgrade head with my Mühle R89 Handle.
    But it took me some time to get used to those mildest razors. I started out with the 34c and was very disappointed of the Techs and Bailis "inefficiency" at first....of course it was my technique that was inefficient. Several weeks later they became my favorites.

The Yaqi Mellon head) is a very mild (double) open comb. So you could run into the same troubles.

A more aggressive Tech clone would be the Baili BT131/BT171 - you definitely feel the blade with this one.

Also Blades can make all the difference. I recently switched to Gillette Wilkinson (India/Saloon Pack) and it gives me so much smoother shaves than the Gillette Silver Blue, not to speak of the Astra which is way too harsh for my face.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Edison Carter, Hembree and Terry like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088:
    tp

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.