My first ebay rant.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by FatherofSquirrel, Dec 21, 2014.

1. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

So, I was bidding on a 'vintgage gillette razor'...

59 Fat boy in primo condition, only two days left and I was winning with $23.00. Only two days were left.
    I got up this morning and:
    "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Has anyone else had this happen and is this acceptable ebay practice.
    Seems like bull crap to me.

2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Sure have. I used to go to ebay for just about anything that wasn't perishable. Can't say what happened in your case, but you are probably right in your suspicions.

I prefer Amazon these days, and do about 95% of my online purchases there. Of course, there are no vintage Gillettes there. Which reminds me, one of my Gillette razors, an E2 SS, came from an ebay auction about 5 years ago. It's in great shape, & I won the auction for $11.52 with 10 seconds left.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It happens.
    And it can be frustrating.
    It is, however, well within the rights of an ebay seller to cancel the auction at any time. WHY the seller chooses to end the auction is anyone's guess (bids too low, seller agreed to outside offer, seller got cold feet…who knows?). There is a penalty cost to the seller who does this repeatedly.

4. FatherofSquirrel

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I hate when that happens!

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Many eBay sellers also have the same item up for sale in their consignment, antique, or pawn shop at a much higher value. Those individuals are in my opinion "professional sellers" and many make their living selling in both realms. If someone comes in a buys it at that price, the additional income offsets the loss of the listing fee and any penalty.

I have had this happen to me as well. I wish you had a better outcome on this.

7. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

:signs011:...I have seen razors and other shaving related items cross posted on Buy/Sell/Trade threads on forums, as well as on the bay.

The seller is trying to cast a wide net in hopes of selling their stuff quickly. It was obvious because it they used the exact same photos in each post, and even had their name and date written on a piece of paper.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but not to worry, there are still plenty of 195's (fatboy) out there to be found. One has your name on it, and will be well worth the wait. Keep searching my friend, and if you stick to those little tricks we discussed you will land you one soon enough.

I love to hate the Bay...:angry019:

8. FatherofSquirrel

thanks jr

JR Reyes likes this.
  9. FatherofSquirrel

you should still be able to leave feedback for this kind of stuff

10. JR Reyes

Very True...good point

11. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I had that happen when a seller apparently listed his razor at the wrong price. I was winning with an hour left. He pulled it and relisted it like $80 more. I contacted eBay and they did nothing. That seller is on there all the time selling razors.

12. FatherofSquirrel

we should be able to set up an ebay black list, but i'm pretty sure that is not allowed at TSD

13. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Tricks? I am all ears ;)

14. JR Reyes

Lol...i knew I was going to come back to bite me

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Problem with that is that people's definition of what 'unacceptable behavior' is is so different since sometimes emotions, not fully understanding the process/options, etc would taint such list quite a bit.

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: This is the best advice I've read so far. Hang in there! What you want is out there, be patient, keep watching and waiting. Happy hunting.

JR Reyes and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

In a way it is a load of crap, but remember that eBay is about making $$$ for the sellers. A Gillette 195 for $23 is not outside the realm of possibility, especially in an antique store, but is on the low side. In such cases, it might pay to contact the seller and offer to buy the item directly for substantially more. Pick a price that is good for both you and the seller, keeping in mind that the seller does not have to give a cut to eBay in a direct deal. Make it a take-it-or-leave-it offer. Then it is you doing an end run around the other would-be buyers, not one of them doing an end run around you.

True to be sure. The Gillette 195 razors were made in the countless millions, and there are still plenty out there to go around. Sooner or later, you will spot one at a reasonable price and it will wind up being yours.

Most of all, be patient. Wanting an item so badly you can taste it, and just having to have it now often results in disappointment. Either you will pay far more than would otherwise be the case, which is a bummer, or you will be disappointed you did not get the razor, which is also a bummer. Patience becomes easier when one realizes that sooner or later the prize will be had, it is only a matter of time. It worked for me getting a Gillette Slim, back when they were esteemed above the 195 and cost substantially more. Better yet, I got the mint condition Slim at a bargain price.

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Two days remaining? You weren't even close to winning that razor sorry to say. Two days is a near eternity on eBay time. If that razor hadn't been pulled, you'd be rankled in two days about how that razor sold for $75+.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Since eBay is becoming something of a joke, why not try these alternatives?
    I have seen some good deals on vintage razors on some of these sites.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

There is no mercy in business my friend.