My First Shave with a Voskhod

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spy Car, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Thanks to The Shave Den's resident "Voskhod Pusher" (Mynorx) I was sent a couple Russian blades to sample. So today the Voskhod got loaded in the Fat Boy.

The conditions were less than ideal for trying out a new blade (understatement). Yesterdays shave was with a blade I had long desired to try for its novelty aspect, but it left my face pretty roughed up (to the point where I strongly considered a day off) and had a good deal more stubble than usual. So a bad spot in the line-up for the Voskhod, but sometimes you get the opening you get.

I like the funky-retro wrapping, it looks like it could serve for a car (or tractor) battery logo, and there is an inner waxed paper wrapper as well. Clean. But we don't shave with packaging. So let's move on.

Having heard this is a "sharp" blade I could not resist rubbing my thumb across the edge. It did not strike me as "super-sharp." So I went to the "can it cut a strand of hair" test? Raiding my wife's hair brush I dangled a hair and slashed at it with the Voskhod. Nothing. Again. Nothing.

So I removed a twice used Feather from the Fat Boy (the one I'd be using for this test) and on the first try it sliced clean through the dangling hair. In the interest of a "fair test" I repeated the hair test 3 more times. The Voskhod never cut the hair, the used Feather cut cleanly the first time on each attempt.

So in terms of "absolute sharpness" it seems pretty clear the Feather is in a different class. But not everyone loves the Feather sharpness (I do) and it is time to see how this blade shaves.

After good prep (and prayer that my poor face is sufficiently healed to take on an unfamiliar blade) I set in to shaving. The first couple strokes and I thought: Uh oh! Is that tugging? Or is the sound of the blade taking down the heavy stubble left by yesterday's misadventure playing tricks with my mind? It was the latter.

So I start to work, a little apprehensive at first (I will admit) but pretty soon I'm feeling pretty darn comfortable with this blade as it starts reducing the beard. Hmmm. Pretty soon I'm in a groove, and I pass through feeling "comfortable" to a feeling of "trust". Nice!

The blade is smooth, comfortable and while not as "ultra-sharp" as a Feather is still an excellent blade. Even the tough spots on my face are not getting irritated, and despite my promises to myself that I will not push this shave (since my face really needed a break) I got into joy-shaving and making too many passes in pursuit of an ultra-smooth shave.

I expected to be "punished" for my intemperance, but I was not. My face felt that nice feeling of exfoliation one gets with a nice blade, but no razor burn. Most impressive.

Bottom line? The initial shave with the Voskhod was really a treat. It is not as ultra-sharp as a Feather, but might be loved by those who don't love (or are afraid of) Feathers. I got a very smooth shave with a face that came into the event in less than optimum shape and came out feeling fine.

I can certainly see why this blade has its fans here on TSD. With no hesitation I would put it into the upper tier of quality blades and look forward to my next outing with a Voskhod.

Bill

2. lycidas

lycidas Member

So after you got your trust and really went-at-r', was there much tugging?

I will have to get a couple of these to try... add to my ever-growing chart. ;)

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have tried many blades and Voskhod is the most comfortable, longest lasting blade I have used to date.

Feather, Perma-Sharp, 7 O'Clock Blacks, Sputnik, Super Thins, Super-Max Platinum, and Dorco-ST-301 are all in my favorite blades list, but for me, Voskhod has them all beat.

Voskhod is just a nice, smooth, comfortable shaving blade. If I had to choose just one blade, it would be a Voskhod.

Sputnik blades are just as good as a Voskhod, but Voskhod wins out against Sputnik because I get at least six shaves from the Voskod, but only three from the Sputnik.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  4. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

No. There never really was any tugging. There was WHOLE LOT of noise with the first couple strokes (which threw me for a moment as I really wasn't up for two bad shaves in a row) but there was never any tugging.

It was a very nice shave under less than ideal circumstances. With one shave under my belt I'm making no definitive judgements, but a first impression is it belongs in the "top tier" category. Not as sharp as Feathers, but a blade that may very well appeal to those who are missing their Super Iridiums.

Bill

5. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

"Comfortable" is a very good descriptor Jeff.

Say, I took your advice and it turned out OK. Way better than OK.

You can please some of the people some of the time ;) :D

Bill

6. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

thanks for the write up! I've been wanting to try some for a little while now but haven't been able to justify the cost+shipping that it would take to get some over here without having tried them first. Actually while we're on the subject, if someone's wants to get rid of a few I'll take a ten pack off their hands.

7. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

My pleasure. If someone with a larger supply of these can't help you out with a sample I will send you my extra blade.

Bill

8. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Get some and give them a try. I too am a Feather fan. But these blades are great.
    As an aside, the last few packs of Feathers haven't been as smooth as other packs I've used. Anyone else notice this in either Feathers or other blades differing over time?

Now the first time I used the Voskhods I plugged them in my "go to " razor, a late 40's SS. To me, this is the most versatile razor ,not too aggressive, nice balance , just a no nonsense workhorse of a razor. I usually use the same cream as well when testing blades. I try to keep all parameters the same while checking out various blades.But in this case I did try an Arko stick ( usually use Bigelow cream for tests) so that might have made some difference but not as much as using different razors.
    All I can say is I was very impressed. A days worth of stubble disappeared easily and with minimal , if any , tugging. Passes were smooth and the shave seemed to go very quickly with little fussing. I got no irritation and ended up with a BB shave.
    I always do the last passes ATG and these were smooth as well.
    Ultimately I was very impressed with these blades more so than many others that are talked about quite often.
    Since then I've used them in my EJ, Slim, FB all with very favorable results. I've only got maybe half a dozen shaves with them only because I've been trading off with my fascination with straights and the shaves I get from them. I've been alternating days but these will stay in my rotation,, if not rise to a regular spot near the top for a good close easy shave.

9. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

So this morning I had early meetings, and I could have gotten away without a shave, but going in lacerated wasn't a good option. Pressed for time. But, darn it, all I wanted another go with this Voskhod.

So I lathered up and did a 4 pass "speed-shave." Unlike yesterday's luxuriously slow joy-shave, the razor was flying over my face. Zip, zip, zip. Not something I do with a blade I don't trust.

What a shave. So smooth and comfortable. Not a nick or any irritation and boy was I moving. The Voshkod is delivering as good a shave as any blade I've used--bar none.

I am impressed and looking forward to using it again tomorrow.

Bill

10. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

"The Shave Den's resident "Voskhod Pusher" (Mynorx)" also offered me a chance try some russian blades .He had previously mailed me some menthol crystals which I loved,so I told my sensi of methol I would love to get some . I promised him that I would try the blade asap and when they came in the mail I had dinner plans that night and a early day the next day . No time for my usual leisurely shave I decided to skip the prep ( gasps !!!) , no hot shower before , no musgo lime gly, no hot towel , no skuttle heated lather , didnt even have time to let blade get hot ... not ideal conditions at all , and I was on a time crunch .Ran some hot water in sink grabbed the tabac shave stick my horse hair blush went at lather making a face lather . Now face lathering is something Im new at being new to wet shaving period , so again not ideal . Unloaded the feather with 2 shaves on it, loaded the voshod in the ej89l went at it for 2 quick passes wtg and atg . No buffing , no j hooking no 3rd and 4th pass and still got a damn smooth shave , bbs on my upper lip ( a problem area ) .No irritation , none Threw the feather away. . Ive tried astra platniums , red personas it was sharper thans thoose , and smoother than the feathers I tried hence the feather getting the out basket . When i got home from dinner I took blade out to alcohol razor and handle can verify the Voskhod has a good teflon coating by the action of the alcohol . Voskhod highly recommended . Thanks Mynorx ,not even through my sampler packs and now Im hoarding blades .........

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I definitely enjoy the Voskhod blades. I get 4 to 5 real nice shaves with them. For the money they are hard to beat.

12. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Another really fine shave with the Voshkod (day 3).

I would be more than satisfied were the blade "spent" now. But I have no sense that it is, and look forward to tomorrow's shave.

Bill

13. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

I just want to say I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

Bill

14. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I am really into trying new/different blades right now and this thread has me wanting some of these Voskhods. I am going to have to check into it.

15. dragosb

dragosb Member

16. skvinson

skvinson New Member

I've heard about these blades. I was just about to ask where to find them when I saw the last post w. the Ebay link. ... Is there anywhere that sells them in smaller lots?

17. honestly believe that this blade is Voskhod a fashion that in a little '*****', just tell someone ': I tried the blades Superman! They are exceptional ... and then it all behind .... What a difference '? What makes a smoothing 3, 4 and another, I would say a lot!

18. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

I appreciate that Mynorx sent me a couple to sample as (despite the positive reviews) I doubt I would have risked ordering a blade from Latvia if I had not had the opportunity to try it first.

Hopefully more "local" distribution of this blade opens up. If you get the opportunity do try them. For my taste they belong in a small handful of top-tier blades.

Shave #4 BTW was another outstanding experience. Ordinarily I would toss a blade at this point, but I'm feeling no need to do so and in the interest of a good test I will keep on keeping on.

Bill (who might take a one-day break tomorrow to shave with a 1927-32 Schick Type B Magazine Repeating razor that was in my Father's collection and was received as a gift last Friday)

19. skvinson

skvinson New Member

What's the possibility of a few of us doing an ad hoc 'group buy'? If 7-10 of us went in on that Ebay deal, that would give us a chance to have a sizeable sample at a good price.

Thoughts??

20. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

huh?