My First Shave With Arko...Big Disappointment?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Kenny Ingram, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Kenny Ingram

Kenny Ingram Well-Known Member

Yes. You won't go back to whatever you were using before! I've now had three shaves with it, and I now look forward to my shaves every morning because of it...call me an Arkoholic. ;)

Bama Samurai, Spyder and trey06dmd like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I just received my first puck of Arko in the mail today and opened it immediately to find out what this talked about scent was. I was pleasantly surprised to recognize it as fast as I opened it. It smells just like Derby so I can't wait to try it.

arko2.jpg derby2.jpg

grump, Bama Samurai, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I found a surprise in my mailbox when I got home today from work.
    Great smell, great lather, great shave, great price. Couldn't be better, even with bacon (well that may be pushing it). The smell definitely reminds me of something from my past. I'm thinking my high school shower. Maybe the disinfectant(?) Either way I am a convert:happy093:

WP_20150123_002.jpg

Attached Files:

grump, jakie55, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  4. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

This thread made me dig through my soap and cream drawer and find my old Arko stick which I haven't used in over a year. The scent has really faded over the years. I got a pretty good shave with my Merkur Slant this morning. I will revise my earlier comments about it being good but not great. I would say that it is very good. It certainly is one of the best bang for your buck shaving soaps out there.

5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I need to give Arko a shot....so cheap, I am ashamed I haven't tried it yet.

6. Kenny Ingram

I was just thinking about this as I shaved this morning. Whether you like it or not, this scent in it is going to fade if you have it sitting out in the open. I personally don't like that, so I'm keeping all my new sticks (when I receive them) wrapped up until I need to use them (in hopes that the scent won't fade too quickly!).

Also - to make more sense of my last comment, I've used half of my first stick (to smush it into a scuttle), so I had half left in its wrapper...and I decided I needed more Arko. So basically I bought a dozen of them for about $18 USD shipped to Canada (off Amazon. Call me crazy...or an Arkoholic - I love this stuff. :p

You should be...and not just for not trying the stick. "Who else but Quagmire??" ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    Bama Samurai, Spyder and Derhey like this.
  7. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Well played, Kenny! Hahaha! Giggitty Giggitty Goo!

Kenny Ingram likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

All I can say is: "Welcome to the Ark Side"

9. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Arko rules the roost for me. The cushion, lather and glide are amazing. I only use other soaps to either get that monkey off my back or for variation, but I'm always drawn back to Arko. Nothing can beat it, for three times the price anyway. I cannot understand the comments about the scent either. Sure, it's strong at the start but after I push it into a bowl and lather up, it dissipates quickly into a very clean smell. I'm also in the "add essential oils" club as its great for a base to build your own scent. For that reason, I can't see it ever being beaten.

10. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

You definitely need to try the Arko Cool Aftershave as well if you enjoy the scent of the Arko stick. Not my favourite, but I think it may appeal to you.

PS: I would gladly PIF my Arko AS to you, but it seems a bit silly as the shipping would probably cost 4 x the price of the AS :)

Kenny Ingram likes this.
  11. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Just used my Arko shave stick again last night. I really enjoy the Arko scent it just clean and fresh and very subtle. Very nice for me, as I suffer from Asthma and some scents set me off into an attack. I love Arko shave sticks very easy to lather and great thick lather. Would love to try the Arko in the tub.

grump, jakie55, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  12. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

:shocked003:Just read thru this entire thread. I must say, it is profoundly disturbing... In the realm of "call the exorcist!" disturbing... I feel dirty... Defiled... (shudder):shocked003:

Spyder likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm gonna use Arko this week.

grump, trey06dmd, Omelmad and 3 others like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I am thinking that the goal of this thread is to shame everyone into, at least trying, Arko :)

I only have the tub. I wanted the container, it was worth the extra buck or two. I begin to get lather immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  15. Kenny Ingram

Really glad I started the thread now! :)
    Good point, but thanks for offering. Which after shave smells the most like the soap? The Cool, Original, or the green tube one? I can get 12 of the green tubes for just over $20 CAD on eBay, so I think I may have to go with them! Paul Humphreys (PaulHFilms) also regards the green tubes highly.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Bama Samurai and trey06dmd like this.
  16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I got two pucks from a vendor on eBay back in the summer and have since added five more. It is a truly outstanding performing soap, and I love the scent.

17. Kenny Ingram

After my experience with the one stick, I was sure to get a dozen more. Seem like a lot? It's not to me. :p

trey06dmd and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Arco and derby are made by the same company correct?

19. Kenny Ingram

No, actually, I don't believe they are.

20. Kenny Ingram

Since I started this thread because I'm an Arko freak, I better post my mail call from today here too... 12 sticks - you know you're officially crazy when... 10403022_1031246093568890_917738081605746690_n.jpg

trey06dmd and Spyder like this.