my first Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BearCWY, May 23, 2016.

1. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I just traded for a straight today and don't know much about it other than what I've been able to find out on the web. I think it was made somewhere between 1900-1910. On the tang it has Antoni Tadross, made in Germany on one side, on the other 327. I was wondering how good these razors are and if anyone has more info on these than just what it says about him on the web.
    DSC_0037.JPG

Keithmax, Turk, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Its a pretty razor. It doesn't look like it is shave ready based on the picture. I would strongly encourage you to send this to someone to be honed to a shave ready state.

Billyfergie and Pilotcld like this.
  3. BearCWY

I agree, I wouldn't dream of trying to shave with it yet.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Nice etching! It has a bit of uneven wear, so definitely get it honed by someone with skill. You should still be able to get a good shaver out of it.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have had couple of dozen of these cross my bench over the years, pretty impressive shavers, in fact I had one personally for awhile..

Clean it / Hone it /Enjoy the shaves

The edge vs heel geometry needs to be corrected or you are going to get a heel hook that your face will not like :(

Year wise I think you are a little early maybe 10 years more in the 1910-1930 only because of the Double Hollow Grind and the Tail design but I do not show a year of Manufacture for AT in my book so it is just a guess

Keithmax likes this.
  6. BearCWY

Yea but one very BIG problem I don't have the stones to hone it. And I need a strop to keep it in good shape, but I hear you are the man when it comes to honing razors.

you may be right but only info I had said he died at age 52 in 1910

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    LOL yeah I have honed a few razors over the the last 10 years :p

If you want a hanging strop I would say touch base with @Drygulch aka Adam here on TSD

At a lower price point the Illinois #827 and #127 are great strops and often on sale

Drygulch and mrchick like this.
  8. BearCWY

I've PMed you about this razor

gssixgun likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I own several of Adam's strops (@Drygulch) and had a couple of razors honed by Glen ( @gssixgun ). I can vouch for both of them, you will be in good hands.

gssixgun likes this.
  10. BearCWY

Thanks, I'm going to be sending my razor to Glen and I hope to later get a strop Adam