My initial thoughts on the ATT razor/R 1 baseplate

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Apr 27, 2016.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My best friend Wade, has every ATT head and handle made and I have taken them for test extended test drives. The M plates were too mild for my taste and the H1 was fine for 1 day but just too much for me as a daily shaver. I liked the R1 and R2 best. I absolutely hated the S1 and S2 slants. They are Wade's favorites so it just goes to so you YMMV.

I ended up getting a Wolfman OC early own before the long waits and the price increase.

Spud likes this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Yes, the H1 would be okay now and then but my face couldn't handle it often. I already have some mild razors so I really don't think I need a M plate although if the M1 was a bit more aggressive it might be good.

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It was too mild for me. The workmanship was great and it was beautiful but I struggle to get a great shave with a mild razor.

Robyflexx and Spud like this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks for that. I'm thinking about sending the H back for a M2 or R2. Maybe the M2 for a light option.

Sevenbark and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Keithmax

Given the generous return policy keep trying them until you find the one that suits you.

Spud likes this.
  6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Well thought out write up.

Spud likes this.
  7. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I would like to go with the Wolfman, the two year wait is going to linger though! And like you said about being local, Stan is just up the road from me, but that Wolfman is quit a nice being it is polished and seems to get a better following for shave-ability I guess

Spud likes this.
  8. Sevenbark

How does the R! compare to the Weber PH ...anyone

9. Keithmax

I have not tried a Wolfman but I did own a BBS-1. The quality of the BBS-1 is very high but I prefer the ATT in terms shave and finish. I do not know what the differences are between the Wolfman and BBS-1. Given YMMV and the hype of new or hard to get products you will never know for sure until your try them. I think ATT offers a refund within 30 days.

Spud likes this.
  10. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

I am fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot on my razor fetish. Being unmarried helps. I own a Rockwell 6S, Wolfman WR-1, Blackbird, Feather AS-D2, several Ikons & every ATT head available. There are things I like about every one of them. Having said that, I can honestly say that I could live shaving the rest of my life with any one of them. Are they worth the cost? Individually, yes. Collectively, to the average user, no. When they say YMMV the aren't kidding. Everyone of my razors has different characteristics and it sure is fun comparing opinions with the rest of you. I will add this however. If you can afford it, IMO, every man deserves at least one vintage razor of his choice & one modern razor of his choice. It's the search that's fun! (and expensive)

11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Ive decided to keep the R1 and exchange the H1 for a M2. I reading a lot about it and the consensus seems to be that the M2 is a very smooth, efficient shaver.

Sevenbark and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Sevenbark

Probably a very nice move. A mild open comb is something I have always enjoyed and the one I have is a Tuckaway. I have often wondered how close the M2 was to the New Improved head. Good luck

navy mac, Spud and kdkelly like this.
  13. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

I feel it's a bit milder than the Gillette New but every bit as efficient.

navy mac and Spud like this.
  14. Sevenbark

A user told me he has problems keeping the razor clear ie rinsed after a pass. This seems to me like his lather is to tight in this case. Have you any problems with this. I think my choice is down to a M2 or S1, I like what both have to offer as long as the M2 is not to mild and from a video I just watched that does not seem to be the case as you have said.

15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I found this video helpful

Paul does a great job reviewing the M2 and he swayed me in exchanging the H1 for a M2

navy mac, Sevenbark and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I don't want to speak too soon but I might be on the road to recovery with my RAD. I'm really, really liking this razor.
    I've never been this smooth with a safety razor. The R1 is so efficient.
    I shave every second day and I'm not as scruffy on the second day but yet I can shave and I have no irritation afterwards. So far this is turning out great for me.

navy mac, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I'm very happy it's working so well for you Jeremy, especially since it is a pricey razor. :)

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Very nice review.:happy088: It's reviews like yours that keep my RAD flaring up!:) There is no recovery from RAD only remission, then a great review of a razor I haven't tried yet, then another flair up. And so the cycle continues!:happy097:

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  19. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

It is indeed a great razor, I shave with mine every day and love it.

Spud and Robyflexx like this.