My journey away from pre-shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by VedderLG, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Technium

Technium Active Member

I actually gave Corn Huskers a whirl today. I didn't like the smell much and the consistency is strange...but you know what, it gave me a layer of cushion and protection under the lather that I had hoped for from pre shave oil, but haven't experienced without splashing water on it. I think it outdid any pre shave oil I've used. I have to say from that one trial I'm impressed...and I used a razor that often wreaks havoc on my face with any lapses in technique. I keep it in my rotation for now to see if I can get past the odor. Thanks again for the tip.

VedderLG likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You can always add a few drops of an essential oil to improve the scent.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Your very welcome. I'm really glad Corn Huskers is working for you, I try to tell an many people about it as I can. :)..I honestly don't even notice the smell or consistency anymore, what I do still notice are the results! While both smell(which doesn't last on me) and texture are certainly different, for me the stuff works great as a preshave, doesn't clog my razor in anyway and can be purchased locally at a "FANTASTIC" price!! Compare the price of CH to either Proraso or Jack Black preshave and you'll feel even better about using it..:happy088: Another thing I like about using CH is that it's "REAL" old school. I remember my grand parents(especially grandpa) using it. It' actually been around longer(since 1919) than I have. :happy097:

VedderLG and Technium like this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Option C. While I have used Conditioner to soften my hair I find it has little impact and technique is more important. BTW I shave my head and do not just shape my beard.

VedderLG likes this.
  5. Technium

Technium Active Member

All good points. I agree, the scent didn't linger I just noticed it when putting it on.

Gramps hadn't discovered using it as a pre shave, had he?

My dad has skin where he's gotten away with using Ivory soap and water his entire life, and his looks better than mine. I didn't draw the easy skin card.

Thanks again.

6. 178-bplatoon

You know I actually don't know if he used CH for a preshave, I just remember him using it on his hands. He was a clothes washer/dryer repairman. I don't even remember ever seeing him shave, although he was always clean shaven. I know what you mean about not drawing the easy skin to care for card...I'm 60 have oily skin, I get keloid scars and still get pimples on my face and other places on occasion :(

7. Technium

Technium Active Member

Yes. People don't realize how lucky they are when they have easy skin that cooperates... that can put up with passes in every direction, etc They're apt, understandably, to attribute it to their shaving skills and skin care. But we play our cards as best we can and the Shave Den is one great part of doing that.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

My experience with pre-shaves makes me lean towards C. I've never experienced an impact, if anything it messes with my lather consistency in a bad way. No worries i get fantastic shaves without it.

VedderLG likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

For those of you picking option C, you have to keep in mind that you can only answer for YOU. Remember, the primary aim of a PSO is NOT to add slickness or glide to the shave. It is to increase the suppleness and pliability of the skin. Chances are that you already have good skin that is very tolerant to shaving. I agree that if the oil isn't the right consistency, it can mess up lather and gunk up razor blades. It should be rubbed fully into the skin along with plenty of water to ensure good hydration. If you find that it is messing up your lather, try applying the oil right before or at the beginning of your shower and then rinsing it off completely before applying your lather.

JRod22 likes this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I don't use PSO and cannot offer up an opinion on its efficacy. I will say however, I find it counterintuitive to apply something that can inhibit hair hydration to one's beard (or wherever) when it's water that softens the hair thus enabling the blade to slice it more easily. Can't argue that it would affect the skin though and if it's gunking up razors and messing up lathers, probably applying too much.

Other than that, if you like it, use it. If you don't...don't.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Technium

Technium Active Member

I had a thread on this at B&B about my 1/2 Face AOS Pre Shave Oil Test. As far as I can tell, there are at least four theories as to how pre shave (oil) works: 1) Lubrication Theory. I agree with gwsmallwood that there isn't much to this one, at least according to my experience with the oils I've used so far, though I've talked to others who have better luck. 2) Supple Skin Theory. I don't know why applying oil right before a shave would do anything better for your skin's suppleness than a good moisturizer for a lot less money, and I don't see how applying it right before the shave would contribute anything detectable as far increasing suppleness compared to doing at another time during the day. I could be wrong, of course. 3) Locking in Theory. If this were true, you'd do your hydrating in the shower or with a hot, wet towel. Then you'd dry off and immediately apply oil to lock in the hydration that has already softened and expanded the hair—it is hydrated. At this point, Omaney would seem to be correct that the lather can no longer contribute to hydration of the interior of the hair itself given the oil barrier. The lather though would still provide some cushion and lubrication. 4) Extra Barrier / Protection Theory. The thinking is that the oil layer under the lather serves as something more dense than the lather itself to reduce irritation and make scratches, nicks, weepers, etc. less likely. 5) Combination Theory...a mixture of any combination of the four possibilities.

If I had to vote right now. I'd say that #4 seemed to be at work with Corn Huskers Lotion (for me), and that with the pre shave oils I've used to date, I've had to splash water on them right before applying lather or they do nothing as far as glide, or even inhibit it (#1). But they do seem to provide a bit of protection from irritation. So far, all oils I've used including a homemade one with a much lower castor oil ratio aimed at making it less thick still seems way to too viscous to help with glide unless I add the water splash on top of it. I can see why shave vets who have little trouble with their shave would say "It ain't worth the trouble. Lather and cut the damn hairs already!" Those of us with unforgiving skin irrespective of level of technique mastery, lather consistency, etc. still might find it worth continuing our quest despite many of us getting only moderate to poor results so far. If I had a :sigh: icon I'd put it here.

I was given Simpson's pre shave oil along with a new Duke 3 brush I just bought. I'll let you know if it blows the lid off all my previous pre shave experiences. I'm not counting on it...but a tiny part of me is still hoping.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

Corn Huskers Lotion has no oil in it as far as I can tell. It's primary ingredients are water and glycerin. Glycerin I believe draws water to itself and so will draw water to whatever it is applied to(skin, hair). I've read(don't remember where) and I still believe that water is a primary lubricant for skin. After all we are mostly made of water. IMO lathers role is to hold water next to the skin and beard. So it would seem CHL would allow water to lubricate the face and beard through the entire shave.:)

Technium likes this.
  13. Technium

Technium Active Member

I think you could definitely be right about Corn Huskers in that regard. That might explain why I had more success with CHL than I had with all of my pre have oil, and many of my oil with water slash trials.

14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well, glycerin is slicker than goose poo.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Technium

Technium Active Member

I'm gonna have to take your word for that one. ;)

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Pete Puma...always was my favorite Bugs Bunny victim.

17. Technium

Technium Active Member

Yes Pete and his bizarre EEEEeeeuuurr hold a special place it my heart.

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

How many lumps?

Technium likes this.
  19. Technium

Technium Active Member

Mmmm. Better get me a WHOLE lotta lumps!!!