My Journey to the dark side

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Not a straight user, but the above is great advice. I've been a 30 dayer pretty much since I got here. And you can learn a lot more than just razoring. There was a great discussion on lather building last week. Come on over. The Dark Side(straights) may have cookies, but we have likker! :)

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Good advice. I started out owning several straights. I stuck with one for 30 days. I didn't join the focus group, which in retrospect, I probably should have.
    I found sticking with the one razor; took the equipment variability out of the picture and allowed me to focus entirely on my technique. This (imho) much more important when learning straights than with safety razors.

3. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I tried both hands, didn't like it, and shavette/SR righthanded all the time now.

5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Right guys - I have my swag - photos coming soon. Now I need to gird my loins for that first shave... feeling scared about it. I am going to start with the Dovo str8 not the Feather shavette. My 30-day setup will be:-

• Jagger Best badger Brush
    • Dovo str8 "Silver Steel" Primo with black ebony handle - honed by @Jarrod from TSS
    • Geo. F Trumpers Lime Cream
    • Regular alum block

Keithmax, Karl G, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Make sure you provide us with all the gory details

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. RetLEO-07

+1 on the Trumper Limes Cream. I love it. Great fragrance while building and shaving. Take your time and good luck!

Karl G and Vlasta like this.
  8. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Don't be scared, just be respectful of the blade you're wielding and pay close attention to what you're doing at all times. If you're scared your hands might be a little shaky and you don't want that :) All you're doing is cutting hair just like with any other razor. The difference is there's no protection on a straight razor if you fall asleep at the wheel...

Keithmax, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

11. RetLEO-07

:happy097: :happy097:

12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am now officially on the dark side.

The BIG day arrived friends - first the equipment.

[​IMG]
    • Geo F. Trumpers Lime Cream
    • Dovo straight razor bought from and honed by @Jarrod
    • Razor storage pouch from The Superior Shave site too
    • Strop - Dovo - not had the need to use it yet
    • Jagger Best Badger brush
    • Shaving Bowl - kids cereal bowl - photos on request only....
    • Alum block - standard stuff
    [​IMG]

Time - 10:00 was my start time. I finished about 30 minutes later.

Prep: Run hot water, 60 degrees, soak shaving brush for 1 minute. Soak hot towel and apply to face for 30 seconds x 2.
    Lather: - dabbed wet brush into cream to just cover tips. Whipped up a nice creamy foam in my cereal bowl then put the cereal bowl in another bowl of hot water to keep it warm - like a bain-marie.
    Application: Applied lather to face as per all the videos!!

Time to shave and I am not kidding I was scared. Will it slice my face? Will I score a jugular hit on the first stroke and spout my life blood all over the bathroom?..... I pucker up. I loop left hand over my head to try and tighten skin on my right cheek and then I am off - very VERY gently at first I make my first pass on my right cheek. The razor sings. IT IS ACTUALLY CUTTING WHISKERS... and not flesh. It feels great... I am on a roll now. I finish my first stroke and I am alive. I feel ALIVE. I wipe the razor on my wet towel and think to myself "This isn't too bad. Not too hard at all". I rub my fingers on my alum block to get grip and go for stroke 2. Still alive. I go down to the jaw line and beyond onto my throat. I cannot believe it I am actually shaving with a wickedly sharp razor on my throat and it feels safe, it feels good and by jingos it IS good!!

Next I am confident - I go for the right hand side - the same. I live. No cuts yet. No nicks yet. I do the WTG pass on my left cheek and YES I used my left hand. I am now in the zone. I go for a WTG pass down the front of my neck - all good. Next - the chin. This is where I though I would slice myself for sure - noooooo. I did not. Not even a nick on my Adams apple

Thoughts - my first pass was a success in that I managed to do it ALL without cutting myself. It was not the closest shave in the world though and this did disappoint me so I put that down to nerves and being too gentle. My soap tended to dry out - how to fettle this?

Subsequent passes - another WTG and better result. Third pass XTG - getting better and better. Fourth pass - ATG on all surfaces. I came out of it alive with only two teeny-weeny nicks, one on my left cheek near the side-burn and one on the tip of my chin - I mean really teeny - a pin prick.

All in all I made four passes and got what I would call a reasonable level of shave and certainly better than with my Mach 3 thingos. Not baby bottom smooth yet but I am sure it will come with practice.

Warmdown - Rinse, alum blocked and then Khiels after shave balm. I washed all equipment. Put the brush to dry in the breeze and dried and oiled my razor ready for next time.

It takes me a couple of days to grow whiskers enough to go for round two but I am going to do it. More results soon

BTW - no top lip report - I am growing a moustache so won't be shaving the top lip for a while, if ever...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice report. Congratulations on a successful first straight shave. You certainly started out with nice gear.

Karl G, Spyder, twhite and 2 others like this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I put my initial success down to this forum, reading tips, watching videos and advice from members. I also practiced being gentle and using both hands even with my nanny cart razor and I am sure this helped. Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen for the introduction to a great and pleasurable shaving experience. Oh yes, I might have to cart shave when I am in a rush or on my travels but the STR8 will always be in my mind!

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent first SR shave. :happy036:

Karl G, Spyder and Vlasta like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    What can I do about the lather drying out except get faster?

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  17. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Don't go faster yet. Just add more water.

18. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

Vlasta, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Or, make a thicker lather. More soap.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

Just gotta be careful as there is a fine line. I've found that a lather that is too thick can be dry and cause your razor to skip.
    I'd rather have lather too thin than too thick. But that's me.

Vlasta, Karl G, ohbrian and 3 others like this.