My Journey to the dark side

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I think we have all had a reminder cut along the line. It keeps me humble.

2. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Second shave with the PB-20 blade. Not so bad this time. Adjusted angle and totally eased up on any pressure. Better but not perfect. A bit of sting when alum blocking tells me I need even lighter pressure and better angle adjustment. I used Wool Fat soap, nice and slick this time. These blades are much less forgiving than my straights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  3. Keithmax

You are using the Feather SS right? I found the bump on edge gave me fits. I gave up and found much better results with the CJB and Feather DX.

Yes these shavettes are far less forgiving than traditional straights.

mrchick and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I will second that post.

Spyder, Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes the AC SS. The bump does not seem to bother me. Just those PB-20s with no guards. Means I will have to train myself to have a more delicate touch. I have a CJB on its way from eBay so lets see.....

Keithmax, Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I HATE guarded blades. How can you possibly get a close shave when there is a coil of wire wrapped around your blade, unless you add pressure? NOT for me.

Vlasta, Spyder, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  7. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The stash had to go finally... this was a while back but I wanted to share the video on the thread.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  8. Keithmax

:happy096:

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Now I am an official bad-ass. I honed for the first time today!!!

10. Keithmax

:kar:

Spyder and Vlasta like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good job. It's addicting

Billyfergie, Spyder and Vlasta like this.
  12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well Dudes - the big day came. Got me a coticule and got me a slurry stone - got me me two dull razors. Razor 1 is a brand called "Waterville" bought off eBay. Looks nice, square point 4/8". Razor 2 is a Boker Eidelweiss 5/8" also from eBay and it was so dull it would not cut hair at all. So I start off raising a slurry and get it quite thick. Right off I am going to try "elipticote" as per the coticule.be site. I wanted to be a purist so no tape. Well I go trough the elipticote cycle on the Waterville - slowly watered down the slurry until I was basically on water. I know the stone took off steel as I could see the slurry turning grey - so this takes me about 1 hour. as I am slow...... Try to shave some leg hairs (I have quite light fairy hair on my arms so legs are a better target) - nada - could not shave for toffee. I was so disappointed, broke out my USB and looked at the edge - I think the steel on the razor has a problem as it looked all pitted and horrible. Maybe I need to set a new bevel? I lost the photo unfortunately although I will try and get another later today when I get my USB scope out again. So I oiled and put the Waterville away for another day - I will not be beaten!!. Not one to give up I break out the Boker and start the process again - slightly lighter slurry to start with - it actually feels better. The slurry during dilution is taking steel and looks a little gelatinous and some bubbles. Anyway I thin and thin the slurry taking my time to make sure I have the same number of strokes on each side of the blade. Keep my pressure ultralight especially when I get down to basically water. I get to the end - it shaves hair!!!! take a look at before and after pics of the edge. Not the best edge in the world but hey it is my first try honing! I stropped the razor - 25 linen, 50 leather then shaved with it - a 3-pass DFS - TOBS Avocado cream so nice and smooth.

Before Honing - cruddy edge - would not cut butter - REAL DULL

[​IMG]

After Honing - shaved nicely. I am proud of myself!

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested I cleaned up the coticule and there are some pics below - the thing was basically stuck in it's holder by dried slurry and the crud of decades. Now it is nice and clean, flat and it works!! The whole process was kind of zen like. I had Google home playing Elvis in the background, a tray on my lap with the stone, the razor and a pot of water and I was in the zone!

Q. If I flattened the blue side could this be a bevel setter or not worth the effort?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload image from mobile

Chuck Naill, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    These are photos on the Waterville -pitted blade and crappy edge. The white line is reflected light from my microscope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, DaltonGang and mrchick like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice photos.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well - call me impatient... go on DO IT because I deserve it.... Rather than wait for my bevel setters, I ordered a Shapton 1K & 2K on advice.... OR watch more videos OR take sage advice I thought I would try the Waterville again. So I try, thick slurry, x-strokes, elliptical strokes - nada. I try again - nada. 1.5 hours later.... I get my 'scope on it and bam!!!! One side of the blade, the show side with the engraving, has what I would say is a reasonable bevel. The other side - mmm - it is ugly. I have [yes I was told....] competing bevels. So I think to myself that I will just hone and hone on the side with the competing bevels until I hone them out.... nope no deal... I am thinking this razor was unicote'd at some point and now that I am trying without tape I am not able to cut enough metal away to get a decent bevel on the stone that I have. Anyway here are some pics - let me know what you guys think this time and yes I will wait until good old Amazon delivers my bevel setters.... I used a sharpie on my last attempt - I have commented the photos TO FOLLOW...

The setup

[​IMG]

The Slurry - reasonably thick

[​IMG]
    Good bevel - show side of blade
    [​IMG]
    The Competing bevel..... ugly.... non-show side of blade
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Sweet, sweet memories. I am almost 2 years in now...

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Keithmax

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Well done!