My latest: 1960 Gillette 195 Adjustable aka Bottom Dial Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 10, 2011.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Outstanding catch

2. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

The Red Dot case is larger than the "normal" Fat Boy case too:

Attached Files:

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I didn't know that. Thank you for the info Achim!

4. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

It probably flopped because it met a need that few wanted to be filled.:ashamed001

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I wonder if there were mechanical advantages to having the dial on top, if they were easier or cheaper to make that way, or if it was an esthetic judgement. Anyway, congratulations on your rare bottom dial.:signs021

6. IronHammer

IronHammer New Member

That is one wicked cool acquisition! Thanks for posting the pics. I seem to remember that the blade adjustment and door mechanism works entirely different on the bottom dials from the later "regular" fatboys.

7. copierguy

copierguy New Member

Congrats on a very nice cased Bottom Dial.

I agree that the 1-9 Bottom Dial with this case, date code and instructions is most likely not a prototype in the classic sense of the word.

The 1-5 Bottom Dial on the other hand may in fact be a prototype, although I have never seen any documentation that supports that idea. The 1-5 Bottom Dial and 1-5 SN Toggle share one thing of note. They are the only known Gillette adjustables that do not sport a date code. While the SN Toggle was once called a prototype, it is now thought that the 1-5 SN Toggles were sold retail in 1956 with instuctions and sharp looking leather cases.

Only time will tell if the 1-5 Bottom Dial will retain the title of prototype.....

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

"Ditto" When you come up with a reason that works let me know so I can try it! lol

9. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I just say: "Baby, if you let me buy this, you can go on a shopping spree!"

I'll let you know when it finally works.:sad029

10. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Wow

I'm pretty new to DE razors and am currently on my first hunt for that first sweet Fat Boy! I have seen pictures and a video about this style with the dial on the bottom. This really looks awesome! You have really got a nice razor and thanks for posting the pictures.

11. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

Very nice find congrats.. im looking for one to buy but they are super rare razors as everybody knows.
    Recently sold on the bay 685 usd. its value always between 700-1500 usd due to condition.

12. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

May we ask where you found it?

13. IAmTheJody

I bought it from another collector who is retiring and moving to Florida with the money gained from selling his collection.

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jody, he found the right person who could appreciate everything. Doug:happy096

15. LiveOak

LiveOak New Member

Awesome! That's like finding a giant squid...you know they exist but they are rarely seen.

16. Strohman

Strohman Member

I think this is the 2nd time I have seen a picture on one of these. I'm not sure if I'll ever spend the cash to own one of these, but it's cool to see one. Getting it with the case is excellent!

Congratulations!

17. Claudius

Claudius New Member

Congratulations Jody, very nice!:signs107

I'm looking for a "195" for quite some time, they are nearly impossible to find!

18. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Beautiful Jody Renaldo! That is one fine addition to ANYONE'S collection. Have you shaved at all with it? I'm from Nebraska and they say " the proof of the pudding is in the eating." Very great thread by the way, to ALL!!

One thing I notice on eBay as I look for an adjustable Gillette is the "Fat Boys" always seem to be higher priced, and or more demand than the other Slim Super Speed Adjustables. Was there a valid reason, like better shaving? Any Fat Boy seems to be in higher regard and this one you have would be at the very top of the heap for desire.

19. theshaver

theshaver Member

Thats a nice looking razor, congrats.

20. IAmTheJody

Uhg. So many of my old threads missing the pictures... Note to self and to others: upload your pictures here, don't use an off-site web link. :angry017:

Dave in KY likes this.