My legs are a DISASTER

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Zerraphina, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

Hello everyone-

I have been shaving for about 8 years before that I waxed. I started waxing when I was in high school, went to a professional. When I would wax my legs would get all red, and seemed like where every hair follicle was removed a bump would take its place. I went to the waxing salon for two years and always the same results. After that I switched to shaving. I tried various shaving creams. Many would sting upon application or some would sting after I started shaving. I have used cheap disposable razors to the Schitck Quattro and my boyfriends Gillete. I have shaved with vasoline, hair conditioner, shaving oil, shaving cream, shaving gels, and water. I have pre-soaked, steamed, shaved prior to showering, post showering, in the middle of showering. I have exfoliated with a luffa, salt scrubs, sugar scrub, facial acne scrub. When I gave up on shaving I tried waxing at home with Nads body strips, warm wax, cold wax. I also tried hair removing creams, Nair and Veet. All to the same result: red, bumpy, stinging. What is worse is a large amount of ingrown hairs and it seems like no matter how close a shave there is a little bit of hair that stays under the skin, so up close it looks like I have little black dots on my legs. Also, I have a metal allergy if that adds anything to the equation.

Please Help!

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Welcome to TSD! There are tons of people here that can help (including women!). Sounds like you've been through the paces!

What kind of a metal allergy? That may impact several choices to remedy your situation.

I would suggest maybe your shaving technique may be the culprit? Are you shaving with the hair/grain, or against it? Some people cannot shave against the grain (myself included). That may be a place to start when you shave. Although since you mention you react negatively to other products, I'm not sure your technique is 100% to blame.

Does your body/legs react negatively to body washes and bath soaps? Or is it just shaving products? I'm just trying to get a feel for how your body is reacting to these products.

3. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

Thanks for the quick response! :D

I have shaved with the grain and against both to the same result. I have also done short passes at my legs, and long ones from ankle to knee. I also have done first with the grain, and then against the grain. :confused: I basically feel I am doing battle with the hair on my legs and I am losing. Only after shaving. And I don't mean I put lotion on right after I shave, but even after waiting for about an hour some creams make my legs go on fire.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Well you surely aren't the only one to experience this. I used to have terrible luck shaving my face and neck. Since I started wetshaving a few months ago, 95% of my symptoms and problems have cleared up. Proper pre-shave/post-shave prep, products, and technique help a LOT.

Can you comment on the allergy you have and how other products react with your body?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

Now I've never shaved my legs so I'm not about to give advice. I do hope, however, that someone will be along soon (and I'm sure they will) who will be able to give you a few tips and tricks to try that'll help out.

6. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

As for the allergy: If I wear costume jewelry, basically anything that isn't pure silver, or gold my skin discolors and gets ichy. Now when it comes to earrings the reaction is within about 4 min or so. My ear lobe becomes pussy, red and inflamed. Gross I know.:sick007

7. swarden43

Anybody have a pure silver or gold razor they'd like to give a lady?

Zerraphina, Phil over at BullGoose has a Merkur razor in bakelite. Me and a lot of folks here have dealt with Phil. He's a great guy, fast service, almost always throws in an extra goodie or two. Take a peek. What do you think?

8. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

I did think of that. However it still occurs when I use waxing or hair removals.

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

You may just have sensitive skin. Like I said previously, proper care and technique may solve a lot of that.

I used to never be able to get a comfortable shave without having irritation, razor burn, bleeding, redness, and pain. Though I'm shaving a face and neck, and not my legs, some of my symptoms were the same.

10. swarden43

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that pull the hair out by the root? That, to me, could certainly cause irritation. The right razor/blade combo would glide easily and cut efficiently, no pulling to cause irritation, no metal contact other than the blade (if you go with the bakelite).

11. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I'm no wax expert; but yes, I believe waxing basically just rips the hair straight out of the root. I agree that a proper razor/blade, with minimal pressure would cause less/no irritation

12. Welcome to TSD!! I hope that I can help out a bit. My daughter and I also have reactions to non-sterling metals when it comes to jewlery. However; we are both using a DE to shave right now. Ever since I started to shave I have had problems with red bumps, irritation, and bleeding. I too tried everything available to me. After I started wet shaving and using a DE my legs started to look "normal" after shaving. I have to be careful to shave only after a hot shower. I shave in my sink to make things easier for myself. I use a pre-shave oil, load up my badger brush with my shave soap of choice, shave once with the grain, once against the grain, then at the end of my shave (before I apply lotion) I finish with a witch hazel splash.

I hope that this helps.....:signs046

13. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

Now my last attempt I went to the Art of Shaving store. I bought their non scented pre-shave oil and cream. I was shaving after a hot shower and did one pass with the hair and one pass against the grain. What does a DE provide that other razors don't. Not doubting just trying to understand.

14. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I love AOS products and I hope you have good luck with them

The purpose of a DE is that it's only 1 blade. Most cartridge razors are multiple blades that not only cut the hair, they shave the top layers of your skin off. This obviously irritates the skin and creates ingrown hairs because it chops the hair off well below the skin layer. So when the hair grows, it grows awkwardly under the skin creating redness, bumps, pimples, etc.

A DE razor takes less of a layer off and allows you to follow up with additional 'passes' on the area. Most of us guys (and gals) who shave make 3 passes on our faces/necks. Meaning, we shave a little of the hair off, rinse, relather, and shave again. We do this enough times until we get the shave we are looking for. Some people do 2 passes, some 3, some 3 and a touch up. It just depends on each person. There is no right or wrong way to do it, nor is there a magical number of passes to make

Multiple passes is about hair reduction in stages, not completely removing the hair in one hard pass.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to ask more if you have them!

15. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

That definitely does help. I am going to try out a DE. I hate the bumps and the pain that goes with it. Now will this get rid of the black dot look as well? The few times I get a descent go at a shave the little black dots tend to stay the same. Thanks though for all the help, this is no longer feeling hopeless.

16. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

The little black dots might be 'phantom shadow', which is essentially your pores. Some of us have pores that are larger and more visible than others. Once again, like myself, even after a fresh, smooth shave, you can still see these black dots where the hair grows from my face. It's just another peculiarity that varies from person to person. I'm not sure anything would get rid of this.

I am glad to hear you are going to try a DE though. The bakelite that Steve showed you might be a good start. I would also grab a sampler pack of DE blades that will come with several brands. This way, you can figure out what your legs 'like' regarding a blade type. Some blades are more aggressive, or sharper, than others and everyone experiences different shaves with different blades. It will take several shaves with each for you to figure out what you like and what agrees with your body, but once you do, it's like heaven :)

While waiting on your goodies to arrive in the mail, I would check out some of the information posted here:
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16950

While most of this is geared towards men, the same principles can be applied to your lady needs. Mantics videos are extremely helpful and informational; I would suggest starting there.

As far as feeling hopeless, check out one of my first posts here:http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21990 I was in the same boat. I hated to shave, I hated the feeling I was left with when I shaved. Now, I look forward to shaving and my face/neck no longer experiences the problems I used to have.

Once again, welcome to TSD! :cool:

17. swarden43

Hang in there. whacky097 You'll find something, I'm sure!

18. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I new a girl in high school who had those little black dots on her legs after shaving. I think it was because she had gorgeous, thick, black hair. It never bothered me, though I never asked her how she felt about them.

Have you tried using Noxzema skin cleansing/cold cream as a shaving cream?
    I learned about it from a girlfriend, many years ago, who used it as such when shaving.
    I keep a couple of cans of the Wal Mart generic equivalent in the bathroom for face cleaning, sunburn relief, and for shaving my face. It's great for that shave the day after I find out the hard way that the last blade I used was dull.
    It's what I'll use tomorrow night when I shave, since I got a good case of razor rash tonight, from a Feather blade with about 8 shaves under it's belt.

Maybe the Noxzema will work well for your legs. It's very soothing to my face. I sometimes even use it to treat razor burn. It could be just what the Dr ordered.

The bad thing about a multi blade razor is that the first blade removes most or all of the shaving cream, so the other blades are essentially shaving you dry. Not exactly conducive to a comfortable shave, whether it's face, legs, or other parts.

I had gotten a Schick Quattro for free and gave it away. It was great for shaving my head, but it tore my face up. I shaved another place with it and ended up looking like I'd been attacked by fire ants.

I feel your pain as far as ingrowns are concerned. They make for some itchy, burning, painful zits. Not fun.

May I ask which Gillette your BF uses? If he uses a Mach 3 or FUsion, I feel your pain. I've never had my face so badly hacked up as when I used my Mach 3 and FUsion. That's what prompted my switch to DE razors.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My wife also--she cannot wear anything that is not real gold. She cannot wear silver jewelry. No earrings, no bracelets, no rings--nothing. It must only to be real gold, or nothing. (It is costing me a fortune! :happy102)

20. Zerraphina

Zerraphina New Member

Yesterday I bought a Long Handle Merkur from the Art of Shaving. Did my first shave last night. I looked around for tutorials on YouTube but found none for the ladies so I watched one of the men videos. It took me about an hour, only cut myself twice, so that was a success. I used a boar brush to apply the shaving cream from the Art of Shaving. After I was half way through one leg I realized I forgot to use the pre-shave oil. The legs are feeling great. No irritation or burning sensation, no terrible red bumps. Still recovering from the other shaving experiences, so legs not perfect yet. But I definitely feel like I am on the right trail. Any tips on technique? Short strokes vs long? If the hair isn't really long should you still go with the grain for the first pass then against? Is pre-shaving oil necessary? I know men use after-shave, should ladies, or is there a feminine alternative? Also are there any good cream alternatives to the Art of Shaving that are a bit more economical. Any tips would be great, you have all be super helpful.