My legs are a DISASTER

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Zerraphina, Apr 28, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great to hear! I'll let the ladies take over from here. ;)

2. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

Short strokes, I should say. Helps keep the angle where you want it. Speaking as a guy, I'd say go with the grain for the first pass always.

As for aftershave, my fiance like Proraso splash so much that she uses it herself...I find the scent pretty neutral, and it really does feel good. I also recommend the Proraso aftershave balm. Soothing, cooling, with a menthol/eucalyptus scent.

For soaps, Mama Bear makes shaving soaps in women's cologne scents, if that helps. She makes quality soaps, that I know.

Razorock cream/soaps also work well for me and are quite inexpensive. Their Classic smells like almond/marzipan- I always have to resist the urge to see if it would be good spread on cookies? A deal at $5.
    http://www.italianbarber.com/p21/RazoRock-Classic-Shave-Cream-150ml/product_info.html

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Jeff

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Congrats on that. I cannot say much about shaving legs... however I believe I have seen many that like aftershave milk. I think that legs are dryer because less pores and such. However this could totally be wrong aha. One of the fine ladies of the den will chime in and help you out.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Everyone has luck with their own techniques so your perfect shaves will come with experience. But I am glad to hear you had a better shave! :D

I would recommend short strokes for now so you can focus on your technique, razor angle, and pressure. With that heavy razor, let it do the work! Take it nice and easy.

As far as oil; some use it and others don't. This is another product you will have to use to determine if it's worth it or not. Personally, I use Joboba oil as a shave-oil but that's my preference. Other pre-shave oils I have used were thick and clogged my razor

Going with the grain is generally always preferred, especially while you are still learning. Some of us can't go against the grain whatsoever without causing irritation. You may try going with the grain then across the grain instead of against and see how you like that.

For aftershave products, you may just some of your preferred lotion although some of the ingredients may cause flare-ups on your sensitive legs...another trial-by-error process you will have to learn for yourself. I'm not sure of many aftershave products for women.

For creams, there are TONS of inexpensive, wonderful creams out there that you can go with instead of Art of Shaving. For example, Proraso, Kiss My Face, Palmolive, and others. I'm not sure of more feminine scents out there...you will just have to shop around and look on the net. I know Kiss My Face has several scents that would appeal to a woman including vanilla, lavender, and patchouli. You can also look at our reviews section HERE to see what people like and don't like.

Glad to hear things are going well. Keep it up and keep us informed!

5. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Are you from Detroit perhaps?

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

:D:happy102

8. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

In the "for what it's worth" section, I have often put on Udder Cream before shaving and had great success with it. I just apply soap right over it. It softens the hairs and it naturally lubricating, especially when you get it a little wet. http://www.uddercream.com/ It comes from the dairy industry originally, but dairy workers noticed how well it worked on their hands. It is simply great stuff. I have applied it after shaving and it leave the skin feeling smooth and refreshed.

In one thread, elsewhere, I recommended using it as a 'pre-shave' and have seen response that it is all I say, and more. I don't work for them, just like their product and it seems like I find more and more ways to utilize it's features.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the cozy confines of The Shave Den.

Find a comfortable leather recliner and set a spell.

10. tristen

tristen Member

I thought I'd chip in about the metal allergy....

With the many varieties of blades on the market, there are plenty of ones that will prolly be viable options, like teflon or platinum coated blades, for instance. I wouldn't know specific brands without doing a little research, but it's certainly something to think about.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I recently switched to a DE razor. I have used soap & a brush for some time, and recently started using a pre-shave oil. I can't say for sure that every woman should use one, but I find it helps. Try it and see for yourself. Since you seem to have sensitive skin, look for an unscented product.

IAmTheJody likes this.