My Mom, the Wetshaver

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Michael, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

These questions are for the women on the forum...or for those of you who don't mind sharing your female companion's shaving preferences.

My mom is 91 years old (don't tell her I told you that!!) and has been DE shaving her entire life. Yet I’ve never really discussed it with her. To my knowledge, she has never owned a brush or any nice soaps or creams and as far as I know, she's always just used bath soap. That usually means Ivory or some such. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? I’m not sure, but I’m considering trying. Brush, cream, a better Superspeed – probably one of mine since I rarely use them anyway. I'm not going to try to pry a SS out of her hand, but I might get her a better one. Tools of the trade, ya know.

Anyway, I’m not asking about technique. She’s been doing it since long before any of us were born and I'm pretty sure she has the hang of that. Mostly equipment questions…

What brush, or brush style, do you like? What brush characteristics are preferred? There’s a considerable difference between the BBB and the B&B. Surely you must have some preference. Or is it as widely varied as men's preferences seem to be?

I suspect Mom would come closer to using creams than soaps. Less lather building technique required, IMO anyway. Which do you prefer? I guess that’s not a gender-specific question, but I’ll ask it anyway.

Do you build lather on your legs or in a bowl? If in a bowl, how do you keep it warm (or do you)? I use a nice ceramic bowl that holds heat a bit, but not great. A coffee mug warmer helps, but I just bought a new one that’s too hot.

Are there any other gadgets or whatever that you find useful?

I never know what to get for Mom when Birthdays or whatever come along and I just thought I’d consider giving this a shot. So now I can feed the ADs of TWO people!! :eek:

Thanks, ladies...any and all suggestions are welcome!!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I enjoy my BLK4 the most. It's very luxurious and the tips are soft. Scrubbiness is alright, but women like softness. But I do think preferences are probably as varied for women as they are for men.

I prefer creams. They seem to moisturize better for me. And they certainly are easier to lather.

I usually build lather in a bowl. I have a nice big ceramic mug/bowl that I use. I don't usually worry to much about warm lather.

If I'm in a hurry, I will lather on my legs and places.

Not that I can think of right now.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thats awesome. :1respect

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah, but you didn't answer my questions! How DO you shave your legs, Joe? :D

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I bet you want pics :p

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

7. rickboone

rickboone Member

So, how did it all work out? I would think at 91, if the method ain't broke, don't fix it. She does what she knows works.

8. suprchunk

suprchunk New Member

Holy year and a half old thread revival Batman.

Seriously, most places I frequent it is a little unkosher to revive really old threads like this. The main reason being is that the information is seriously outdated, and people tend to think stuff at the top is a little bit newer, as it should be. And when brought back to life by newbies such as you or me, makes it look like the person is just posting for the sake of padding their post count. And by your count and join date, the argument wouldn't be too far off.

I'm not saying don't post as much as you do, just try to make it a little more meaningful - don't just post because you can, post because you are trying to actually contribute. Or have a serious question.