My Naniwa 1k is a thirsty stone.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Redfisher, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I have a Naniwa 1k traditional that is a real sponge. If I don't soak it for at least 4 to 6 hours I can barely get a lap done before it needs wetting again. So will I ruin it by keeping it wet or will it soften up too much. Will soaking it and then letting it dry create a problem?
    As always I appreciate the information given.

Billyfergie and Heljestrand23 like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am not a honemeister by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do recall honing videos from years ago where the stones seemed to be stored in water.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Don't soak it.
    Naniwas are 'splash & go'— i.e. they are not made to be soaked in water. The Superstones are resin-bound and are not meant to be soaked and this is warned against by the Naniwa factory. They'll turn gummy if left to soak long enough.

Lap them under running water and spray with water. Hone. Add more water when necessary to keep the stone damp and the desired slurry consistency.

Billyfergie, Drygulch and Redfisher like this.
  4. Redfisher

This is the "traditional " stone, much thicker and like I said before very thirsty. I also have super stones and yes a decent wetting and your good. The thing is unusable until it has been soaked for hours. Otherwise the water disappears as fast as you put it on.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Is this the light blue one on the base? If so, it's the one I have. I can usually put mine under running water for a few minutes, and it will hold on to enough water to use. It is thirsty enough that I dump water on it, rather than spraying.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ah…. ok. What color is your stone?
    SafariScreenSnapz1073.jpg

Billyfergie and Redfisher like this.
  7. Redfisher

I'm going to call it "tan". Anyway here is a photo. Thanks!

IMG_1438.JPG

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay now that I have a model number and see that yes, these are to be soaked prior to use (15-20 minutes, minimum recommended). Most reviewers seem to be knife-sharpening and are favorable in their reviews of this stone. The stone is more porous than the Chosera Pro 1k and the blue SS 1k and coarser in feel. I'd sort of expect this type of stone to be 'thirstier' but so long as it does the job and sets a good bevel, keeping it wet seems to be the only real inconvenience. Keep that spray bottle handy!

Billyfergie likes this.