My new EJ DE89L

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 10, 2009.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Although I don't have an EJ, I do have a Mekur Futur in chrome finish. That handle is as smooth as they come. I've never had a problem with it (or any other razor) getting slippery since I make sure my hands never get soapy. My hands are always wet during the shave and I don't dry them off until I'm finished with the final pass. Wet is not a problem until you introduce the soap or cream.

Some folks have taken rubber O-Rings and put them on the handle of their razor to improve the grip. I just haven't found the need for that.

2. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

The Feathers worked awesome this morning in my EJ86! (Ref; my SOS post today) I will be trying those Crystals as well. They look like they will be a nice blade and they are about half the price. (Not that the price difference is a deal buster) LOL I haven't had any problem with slippage with the smooth handle. I was a little concern about that issue because I have a Parker 90R with a slick chrome handle that I once had trouble with. I found that it was because I was getting soapy water on it. As Steve just said, after I improved my handling approach there was no problem. ;)

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

lots of Edwin Jagger fans! It is a great razor.

4. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

I have the Merkur 1904, 34C and the EJ89L. If I had to keep only one (Heaven forbid!) it would be the EJ. It's a little smoother, a little less aggressive and very much nicer to look at, given its higher quality of manufacture. The weight and balance suit me very well. I use Feather blades and various soaps and creams with all my razors.

The only thing to watch for is the lined handle: it can get a little slick with lather sometimes. Really good chrome plate will do that.

Jeff

5. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

I just shaved with the new head Edwin jagger yesterday and I too am in love. Worth the wait and I will never look back to merkur that's for sure. This razor made it easy to go atg where as a merkur will tug with a Derby, Edwin jagger will cut through like its butter with literally the same blade!

6. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I love my EJ DE87. I do wish the handle was checkered, but I wouldn't get rid of it because it's not.
    I thought about buying a couple of spare handles for it so I can turn circumferential grooves in one, and put O-rings in the grooves.
    Then I'd turn circumferential grooves in the other handle, and use my metal shaper to cut liner grooves in it, so I have flat topped checkering..

Then I'd shave with it, using each handle, and decide which I like best.

7. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I use a spare Ikon Bulldog handle with the EJ head. Loads of grip and extra weight. Just love it:D

8. lycidas

lycidas Member

I'l chime in a bit. I have the EJ DE89 - note the absence of the L. The finish is fantastic on it and I have never had any issue with the smooth handle. I ususally hold it with two fingers right below the head where the first bump is so there is no slipping. When doing botom of neck and shaving up, I hold it near the other end where that bump is.

The EJ is a very smooth, very easy razor. :)

9. emar

emar New Member

Add another de89l fan. I love mine.

10. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Traded my brother my 5 mileage DE89 for $20 cause I was short cash for something and just traded it back with the original 5 for some colognes that I don't use anymore. He tried to throw in a silvertip brush but I wanted him to keep it to enjoy :D

11. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

EJ de89lbl was my third razor and my new favorite or go to as some say. look, feel, price, and shave.