My New Simpson Brush!!!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Ryan Reilly, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Ryan Reilly

Ryan Reilly Active Member

Just got my new brush in last night. Got it off of WestCoastShaving, great price and got here fast. Anyways, after taking the advice of many of you and reading various post on this forum I went for the popular Simpson Colonel 2xl and man Im glad I did. I havent got to shave with it yet, but I did play around with it last night. Soap, cream, cream soap, it doesnt matter it builds lather in no time at all. I like the long handle and short loft, just what I was looking for. At first you would think due to the short loft it would be to stiff, but believe me it is more than soft and flexible, but still retains its shape when you need it. Its light weight as well. Altogether a great brush no matter what your lathering. Ill update this post when after I get to shave with it tonight. I did howerever take some pics of my practicing. Ill let you guys judge for yourself. Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fishcrow, Mechguy, DLP and 3 others like this.
  2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Looks like its working out to me, now give me some bloom shots!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

+1

My Commodore X2 shares a very similar knot, just with a smaller handle. It is a great knot & I'm sure you're going to love the experience that it gives you.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Looks like great lather to me too! I just bought the Colonel a few weeks ago and I love it. Congrats on your new brush and I agree with the two gentlemen above, we want to see bloom shots.

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I haven't thought about the Colonel since it seems a bit big for my tastes but it's nice to see that others are getting as addicted as I am to the Simpsons quality :) I may have to consider this instead of the Duke D2 for my next brush!

lradke likes this.
  6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The colonel is a great brush! I got one for Christmas and you will NOT regret that purchase! The best part (which I believe is common for all Simpson brushes) is the extreme softness, but great backbone!

7. Ryan Reilly

Sorry, but what do you mean by bloom shots?

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The hair in an unused brush is tighter looking (like a closed flower).
    It looks "bloomed" (spread out), once you lather it.

9. Sodapopjones

Pretty much! The brush "blooms" after its been wet and used. Post bloom usually means once its been dried.

I will have to add that to the terminology sticky....

tomnat and Mechguy like this.
  10. Queen of Blades

I don't really notice any difference between "bloom" and "post bloom".
    Of course, I lovingly caress my BLK4 to it's full bloom-ability every time. :love029:

Mechguy and Sodapopjones like this.
  11. Sodapopjones

On my Simpsons' they tend to bloom a little more once dry, probably because of the density.

12. Queen of Blades

:lyrtuy5: I wouldn't even notice "a little more" I "pet" the brush out so much.

13. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Very nice picture, thanks for sharing. Looks like a great brush.

14. Ryan Reilly

Hey guys I updated this thread with more pics and comments in another thread, "Simpson Colonel 2XL Review", check it out.

15. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Beaut of a brush you've got there. Many brushes will work great their first few uses, but assure it keeps like that by making sure you clean it regularly so as to keep it from degrading and lathering like the brush you upgrading from! I know this is a given, but even myself, after 20+ brushes, find myself abusing my KimSon, Simpson, and Thater (the only brushes I decided to keep).

16. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Lol!! :)

17. cpowill

cpowill New Member

Nice. Wait until it is broken in.

18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Nice looking brush. It will improve as you lather with it it will bloom out.