My review of my "Old Spice" style scents

Discussion in 'Scents' started by StormyWeather, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There appears to be some irritation, yes...but I'll give it another try this cold season.

brit likes this.
  2. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Is today's "classic" Old Spice scent the same as what I would have bought in the late 80s? I was thinking of buying a bottle for old time's sake but don't know if it will smell the same. I was reading some reviews on the big smiley box website and some said they didn't like it at all.

RyX likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Do you mean the one that says "Original" but is from Procter&Gamble, not Shulton? To be fair, I haven't tried that, but I kind of think it's an insult to consumers' intelligence to say "Original", when it really isn't that.

Leo501 likes this.
  4. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the brand most widely available to me. Thanks, and I definitely agree.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are some similarities between Vintage Shulton & Modern P&G Old Spice. Commonly happens when a product line changes hands is the "reformulation". Less scent oils & more filler so the new product may not last as long on your skin as the old stuff. The good news is if you can get hands on a vintage bottle they age well. Rather than spend the big bucks on the bay I watch for nearly full bottles at thrift & antiques shops, garage & estate sales. Instead of $25 I get them for five or less.

Leo501 likes this.
  6. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

I've never used the modern version of Old Spice so I don't know personally if the scent profile has changed enough that I would recognize, but the impression I get from reading reviews is the scent is different from the Old Spice I wore in the 80s.

I just received a bottle of Barrister & Mann spice and my first impression of a sniff from the bottle is WOW! This is the scent that I remember, they did a really nice job at recreating it. I can say the same for Stirling Spice, but it's no longer on their website, I hope they bring it back.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  7. Paul Turner

They also need to bring back that great OS music, with the French Horns and Trumpets. I don't care for what we hear today-just the end of it, and with a piccolo (no offense to piccolo players).

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.