My Shavette Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sara-s, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

It depends on the shavette's design. Some are made to release the blade by pressing on the spine and others need to have the front cover removed. If your shavette is solely designed to squeeze the spine to release the blade, then maybe you are not squeezing at the top, but closer to the middle so that the blade won't release.

jgreenepa likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

These 2 should both release the blade by squeezing the spine, but when I do it, the blade doesn’t release. It can also be removed, by removing the front cover, but that is awkward to do. Am I squeezing it close enough to the top? I am not sure, but that does give me something to consider.

jgreenepa, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I would make sure it is near top of spine, but halfway between one side and the other side. I do not mean in the middle of the razor's face.

jgreenepa likes this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My Feather DX does not always release the blade. If immediately after using soap and water make it stick a little. Leaving it dry first does not necessarily help. I usually slide the front off to clean anyway.

Maybe a dip or spritz with alcohol is something I will try soon. Since you mentioned it, it will start bugging me.
    :cool:

jgreenepa, Trigger and Sara-s like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A little side note- I mentioned using a toothbrush holder as a safety cover for one of the razors. Today, I was trying to figure out a safe way to store a recently-acquired 3/4” drill bit and recalling this, I bought another toothbrush holder for it. Works fine & cost less than 2 bucks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    wristwatchb, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I only have the Feather AC DX, which I’ve removed the scales, then wrapped the handle with leather cord. Turns it into a kamisori style. Love it. Outhandles many of my straight razors.

Same problem as you’ve run into, when wet it’s finicky to release the blade.

I’ve used two methods, one is pushing the blade out from the inward side (heel), while squeezing the spine. I use the tip of a fingernail to push out maybe a 1/4” to grab on the other end (toe). Works well even when wet. Basically the opposite of inserting a blade. You could also use a QTip to push.

The other is to squeeze the spine (left hand), then use thumb and index finger (right hand) to pull the blade straight out of the clamp. Fingers need to be drier, razor lightly towel dried. I start with each finger on the opposite sides of the razor face, and pull blade straight out. This is not pulling the blade out long wise like above, or would be inserted using the Feather (or injector) key.

I don’t use the second method very often anymore though, there’s a higher chance of error & crimson flow (mine usually come from interruptions). Thought it was worth mentioning, as you are working your shavette journey.

Sara-s likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I did my legs today, with the Kai. I still get a couple of nicks and irritation on the inside of my thighs. This seems to be the area I find most difficult; not sure why. The irritation passes quickly, but it is still frustrating not knowing how to do this better.

Tedolph likes this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

What soap do you use? Maybe a good sensitive soap for down there would do the trick. Palmolive has a very nice sensitive cream in a tube. d'lan d'men does too.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use my shave soap, same as everywhere else.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

After reading a few recommendations, I bought a tube of Proraso for sensitive skin. Used it yesterday, in place of my regular soap. (I had just mixed up a batch's which wasn't yet ready to use.)

Mixed result;
    1)My inner thighs were actually less irritated.
    2)I made the mistake of applying it to my skin with my hands, which were a gummy, slippery mess. There is only so often I could stop & wash them , to any useful effect. In the interest of having clean hands, with which to handle the razor, I would apply it with a brush next time.

My intent is actually to use it as an augment to, rather than a replacement for my shave soap. That will be my next shave. More about it then.

PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to see you're sticking with it a getting improved results. :happy088::)

Sara-s likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The last couple of weeks have been busy, so I had been using the electric shaver. I don’t get irritation with it, but of course, it’s not as close.

Today I had time, so I did my legs with the Feather. I wrapped a silicone rubber bad around the handle to improve the grip. Yes, it helped. I used the Proraso as an augment to my soap and it did reduce the irritation on my thighs. I still don’t love the texture, though it’s better when combined with my soap.

I could also do without the scent. I don’t hate it, but don’t love it either. Does Proraso make an unscented cream?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You didn't say which poraso you were using. Maybe the white? Lime and apple scent, for sensitive skin.

Edit: I avoid the vast majority of Proraso products because I automatically assume they are mentholated(sp?). The red has a light pleasant sandalwood scent, though I wouldn't call it in any way feminine...and it isn't menthol.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use the one for sensitive skin-no menthol. They don’t seem to have an unscented one.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here is the latest in my journey. Today, for the first time, I decided to try a shavette in the shower, rather than by the sink. That means I couldn't wear my glasses, but it is how I have always shaved my legs.

It went pretty well-no nicks, cuts or irritation. I PIF'd the Proraso and tried Pacific Shave Natural, which is giving me a great result on the inner thighs. This is as an augment to my regular shave soap. The only problems is that I missed a few spots. No big deal; I just touched those up with the electric.

PLANofMAN, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.