My Wife is interested in this topic (she just doesn't know it yet)

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Joel Couch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Joel Couch

Joel Couch New Member

While she doesn't generally care about many of the gadgets and gizmos I get I know she's been curious about how all this DE razor stuff works and whether or not women use this stuff.

Well, I gotta tell ya, there's a ton of information out there for the guys (I'm just now learning). What about the women? I'm having a harder time finding the details on helping teach a woman to shave.

I have a few specific questions what will help us both better learn moving forward.

First, my wife currently shaves with some cream-in-a-can and an old disposable razor. She does this against the grain and really doesn't care for the process and is never really satisfied with the results. When shaving with a DE is it recommended to shave with or against the grain?

Next, the pits... anything special that goes on there? This always seemed a simple process with her current set up but asking may shed some good incite.

Also, what about the more intimate areas? The occasional nick in that area really sucks (so she says (and I believe her), I won't bring a blade that close to mine... just say'n).

If there are articles already written up on these topics I'm completely capable of clicking a link and reading up. Thanks in advance for helping educate us on this sensitive topic.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The techniques of using a safety razor are generally the same for men and women.
    Biggest thing to learn is ; NO pressure

The other ladies will hopefully chime in with their thoughts.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My wife just does 1 ATG pass with her legs and she seems happy with it, the blades to much better than her old uber-expensive cartridge razors. For her armpits she just uses the same brush and lather she used for her legs, though she's still not extremely comfortable with double edge razors - so I end up doing the intimate areas, just being careful is good enough to avoid nicks.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  4. Joel Couch

Joel Couch New Member

Makes sense, I look forward to any other thoughts that may come. My Wife will read these as well (of course).

5. Joel Couch

Joel Couch New Member

Very good, Justin. Thanks!

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A lot of the info is the same for men & women. The biggest practical difference is that we are more likely to shave in the shower. So the razor handle should have a good textured grip. Personally, I find a long-handled razor easier to use, when I have to reach around to the back of my legs. And I would not get her a brush with a wooden handle.

What people have already said about applying no pressure is very true & very important. BTW, even if she doesn't switch to a DE, using soap & a brush will be a big improvement over the canned goop.

PanChango and battle.munky like this.
  7. Joel Couch

Joel Couch New Member

Sara, I think you've got an excellent idea. I believe that starting out with a quality shaving cream would be an excellent way to dip into this new world. Thank you for the good tips.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glad to help. I was using soap & a brush myself, long before I started using a DE razor. My husband got a good brush & made such a fuss about how nice it was, that curiosity got the better of me. So I borrowed his, to test and I was hooked.