Mysterious Traveling Box 2021 Tour Round 2

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Nov 14, 2021.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

009.JPG

The razor on the left is the one I shaved with yesterday and the one on the right is the one I'm trying today.
    Not sure of the make/model of either.

I thought the cap on yesterday's razor was kind of interesting but after shaving with it I think it might need to be just a bit wider. I had trouble getting a good angle and it felt like the blade needed to be more in line with the base plate and cap that what it was. If the cap was a little wider it would bend the blade down more for a smoother line between base, blade, and cap. The blade sticks out away from the base/cap too much. If I had a camera that could zoom better I could do a closeup of what I'm referring to. Riding the safety bar felt like perpendicular scraping. Riding the cap reduced the scraping feel but still not enough for a smooth stroke. I used a Zaza blade and those have mixed reviews so I wasn't sure if the blade contributed to my less than average shave but I think it was primarily the angle.

I tried the Lisa's Natural Smoked Black Tea soap because the scent appealed to me. This soap probably performs well in softer water than what I have. I had to work at it quite a bit and after the first pass I needed to switch to something else. Too bad since I really like the scent but I'll need to leave it in the box for someone else.

As mentioned I tried a Zaza blade which will get another run today. I finished with the BarBearShop A/S splash which has a nice scent and a very nice skin feel. It's a witch hazel and aloe formula. I found it favorably mentioned online but I could not find it for sale anywhere so I'm not sure that it's still available on the market.

Big tube of Palmolive brushless is on the sink for today. I've never tried this so I'm anxious to goober up with it.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks like a Yaqi. I think it's the one called the "Beast". The one on the right looks like a merkur clone.

4. John Beeman

Nice shave yesterday with the Merkur clone? and the Palmolive brushless cream.
    At four and a half ounces it's a big tube of Palmolive so I haven't decided yet if I'll take the whole thing or just a big sample.
    Couple more things I want to try but I'm back to work for the week so I need to see what I can squeeze in.
    Hope to make my picks and get the box in the mail on Friday.

5. John Beeman

Busy week but the box is packed up and ready to ship.
    I sent a PM to @Ijustmissedthe50s to get his shipping address.

Last shave was a couple days ago again using the Merkur clone? and a Treet carbon. For all the benefits of stainless steel and the various coatings it's amazing what a fabulous feel you get from carbon steel.
    I tried the Bolero Cedar Wood & Eucalyptus brushless cream and A/S lotion. It worked very well and had a nice scent.

Here are my takes:

002.JPG

Scuttle, Fine soap, SeaBreeze astringent (there were two in the box), travel brush, Captain's Choice North soap and A/S balm sample, Pinaud Clubman soap sample, Captain's Choice Nor'Easter A/S sample, WSP Formula T soap sample (there were two in the box), Jinhao fountain pen, Merkur clone? razor, Maggard MR8 razor, Gillette travel razor, Volz vintage blades, Treet carbon blades, LASS Black Rose soap sample, a TOBS sample that I had donated last round that was still in the box (not pictured), a knife blade (not pictured), and the red glasses.

and here are my gives (minus one of the shave mugs that I couldn't fit):

003.JPG

Maggard Tobacco & Leather soap full new, (2) Williams vintage (tallow) soaps (one of the boxes is rough but the soaps are unused), Schick L Type injector, Schick I type injector, Schick vintage blades, various blades (Astra, Gillette SB, Gillette PP, Derby Extra, Gillette Green), Speick shave stick, Haslinger soap puck, Clubman Whiskey Woods sample, Henri et Victoria Cubans & Cognac cologne sample, Burma Shave coffee mug, Old Spice shave mug, Clubman Nick Relief, 4711 A/S full new.

I took the picture before trying to pack everything so the larger O/S shave mug didn't make it. I might have included a couple of smaller items but I can't remember and I needed to employ a ratchet strap to get the box closed.

I almost didn't sign up for this round but I'm glad I did. It was a lot of fun.

6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    The Fine American Blend, scuttle, Treet blades and Boss handle w/Yaqi head were my gives :)
    Scuttle came in a lot of stuff I bought, the FAB from Primo, Boss/Yaqi I won in @IAmTheJody birthday raffle, and the Treet blades IDR.
    Now you know the history!
    I still have a matching Boss/Yaqi razor, so we can coordinate SOTD's w/it lol!
    I didn't realize the rainbow razor was a Maggard...I've got it in all SS from West Coast Shaving...

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

John, excellent takes and gives!

Maggards Tobacco Leather is one of my favorite colognes from Maggards. Those L&I Schicks are always welcome to the box along with the Williams. Nobody wants to say they need the nick relief, always needed in the house and travel bag. That Cubans & Cognac cologne sample sounds great. :happy088:

Very glad you enjoyed your time with the box and glad you joined us! You're welcome anytime.

:)

8. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Excellent takes and gives. I'm so glad to see someone took my silly glasses. I bought 100 of those Treet Black Beauties and haven't quite found the right razor for them. Yes, they are very mild but too much so fo my taste. I'm glad to hear you like them!

9. John Beeman

A quick scan of West Coast Shaving and Maggard websites show a surprisingly similarity between their private label razors. Me thinks they have the same manufacturer/vendor supplying them.

10. John Beeman

I received shipping information from @Ijustmissedthe50s so the box went out this morning.
    It should arrive this coming Wednesday.
    I sent a PM with the tracking info.

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Wow...you don't waste any time! Thanks for your work in getting the box to me so quickly. This is my first time in the Mystery Box gang and it's been a blast watching the progress. Shout out and gratitude to @Enrico for inviting/suggesting I participate.

Enrico and John Beeman like this.
  12. John Beeman

I had it packed and ready to go Thursday night so this morning it just needed a label.
    I had it for a week so that worked good for me.
    Enjoy your time with it.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

I received the Mystery Box yesterday (Tuesday)! Haven't had a chance to open it yet but it smells great lol! I'll pm @b1hart for his address and should be able to swap things out by this weekend to move along. This is incredible cool and excitjng.

b1hart, cliffb599 and John Beeman like this.
  14. John Beeman

Hopefully everything is intact. Not a lot of room for bubble wrap.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. John Beeman

I was wandering through a store today and saw two pair of “shades” same size and style as what you put in the box just different colors.
    One pair is enough for me so I kept moseying along.

16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Everything in the box is indeed intact!

17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Wooohooo. The Mystery Box was sent out this morning on its way for tge enjoyment of @b1hart! What a blast! There was and still is a ton of great stuff in the box! There were several things I got to see that I've only seen reading here on TSD or online. That was very interesting to me. Thanks denizens, for including me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

b1hart and SRQShaver like this.
  18. Ijustmissedthe50s

The Mystery Box was dropped off at the post office this morning. On its way to @b1hart...from New York to Texas. That's a cool thought.

b1hart, cliffb599 and SRQShaver like this.
  19. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Received ‘da Box’ today. :) Packed to the gills. Opened, dug around just to make sure no leaky stuff. Appears okay.

Will look over the next few evenings, repack and get it moving along.

20. John Beeman

Don't forget to post pics and what you're sampling

SRQShaver, Enrico, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.