Naked armor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PloDrr, Nov 23, 2018.

1. PloDrr

PloDrr Member

Seeing a lot of ads pop up for Naked Armor shave sets. Was wondering if anyone had experience with them. There are a number of reviews online but I'm unsure whether or not they are paid reviews. Here's a link to their site: https://www.nakedarmorazors.com/

RyX likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not a clue, but their advertising seem strange ... not a clean shaven guy in the bunch. :D

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The girl looked fairly BBS tho. ;)

I know nothing about this site and I don't straight shave. But, the hardware looked interesting.

The constant and multiple pop-ups are really annoying.

4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

These are rebranded, cheap Chinese razors dressed up in a box. See ZY, Titan or A.P. Donovan listings on Ebay.
    The scales look to be too thick and clunky and poorly fitted to the bolster and wedge. The first kit shown on the page has a 2 dollar brush and an 8 dollar strop.
    I ordered a strop exactly like this once from AliExpress. The hardware is cheap and weak, the strop is short and the leather does not resemble any tanned hide I'm familiar with, the draw was very heavy and the leather stretchy and wrinkled. The linen component is thin denim folded over and nothing to keep the cut edges from fraying.
    Do not waste your money on any of these sets or any others like them.

Slipperyjoe, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They do look just like some of the inexpensive Chinese razors i see on eBay. They advertise their razors as being Japanese Steel. From what I remember, the Japanese imported all of their steel. So, i wouldn't believe their advertisements. That said, the Chinese ZY, and Gold Dollar razors are fine shaving razors, if honed properly. I have several.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Slipperyjoe, Keithmax and brit like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’ll bet they’re honed by a 69 year old master ;)

Slipperyjoe, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Not having one in my hand, I can only give my first impression.
    They appear to be a R.S.O. [razor shaped object]
    They look impressive but will not hold up and deliver what a SR should

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Keithmax, gssixgun and Enrico like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Numbers

You are buying a razor that runs about $5 when you buy them by the 100 lot, you can have any name you want etched on them, I get ads to buy them in bulk on my website e-mail quite often

Those full kits probably run $10-$15 I really have never looked that hard

This is what is out there and why so many people start SR shaving and quit within a few months

Trust that SR shaving is way too labor intensive to not get a better shave in the end, why would we all do it if the shave was subpar

A good quality Vintage SR or a good quality New Production SR will perform better and probably save you money

Steve56, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  9. PloDrr

PloDrr Member

So basically it's pretty packages of mediocre (at best) products that will only lead to sadness, disappointment and a lighter wallet. This is why I reach out to you guys, for solid knowledge! Thank you everyone!

gssixgun likes this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Scott: The Japanese do make Tamahagane
    Steel, otherwise known as “iron sand”. I had a Daishi at one point. It was. 4/8, which was too small for my liking.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You are correct, forgot about Tamahagane(Iron Sand). Its pretty expensive stuff too. I've not acquired one, made of that, yet.