NB '18

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by CliffDweller, Dec 10, 2017.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm ready for NB19.

Jim99 and PanChango like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Goin'for it, eh? :)

AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I am. What more can I get? I'll be back I just got a email notification for 20% off aftershave. ;)

jtspartan and PLAla like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm good, but I did make a purchase this month.

I finished and replaced a bottle of Superior 70.

It's the only aftershave I use and wanted to keep a bottle on hand.

AGHisBBS, Troy M and jtspartan like this.
  5. Paul Turner

The 2 aftershaves I'll be finishing and replacing before 2019 will be Clubman Original and Aqua Velva Ice Blue...both routine drugstore pickups.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Screwtape and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m still trying to keep it as a “low buy” 2018. I have no plans for any razors. I think one would have to fall into my lap before I pick up another one.

My soap stash will make it till the end of the year, but I’ll be missing out on my Stirling glacial lemon chill this summer. It’s my favorite too! I don’t know, but I’m weak!

AGHisBBS and Troy M like this.
  7. Paul Turner

I hope to try that one next summer(although I'll probably still have a good amount of the Glacial Wintergreen left)

AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Over the last year I worked my brushes down from 26 to 9 (although several are different ones) and have no desire now for more. Razors -- I look at some of the fancy new ones, but then look at all the ones I have and choke that down. Soaps, creams and splashes or balms are still my big weakness. -- I have a not-so-little list. However, as NB'18 has progressed and I have used what is on hand, it has really started to sink in just how much I do have on hand and how long it will take to use it up. Which is rather killing my desire to add to the pile.

As time goes on, I have also learned to appreciate the benefits of sticking with a soap or cream for awhile rather than switching every day or two. Not only do I dial in better lathers, I think the harder soaps work better when they are used regularly and the pucks stay hydrated.

In short, I think I can probably stay the course for another month... :)

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Between my DEs, SEs, injectors and SRs, I have around 60 razors and that’s after I did a “big” purge at the end of last year. When it comes to razors, I just don’t need any more. Too many great razors and too little time!

If I found a vintage razor in excellent quality, or a new razor that was highly rated at a price that makes it a steal, I’ll consider it. But I would need to sell one or two from the den to balance it off.

The number of razors I have in my collection just makes me feel plain greedy. Does that make sense? Does anyone else here feel the same? Hey, this is a hobby... right?
    :confused:

10. Screwtape

When I first started collecting razors, I picked up many of the old strop system wedge-blade safety razors and quite a few vintage SRs, considering them just interesting old mechanisms to fit in my collection. No thought of using them myself - or that anyone else would. So I saw my "competitors" for them as other collectors. Then I joined here and TOST and realized many people now seek these Rolls Razors, Wilkinson Sword Empire or 7-Day models, CV Heljestrands, Kampfe razors and the old SRs to restore and use to shave.

And yes, that does give me a different perspective on my collection: if I am not going to put something back into working condition and shave with it, then keeping it IS being greedy. Like a miser sitting on a hoard of razors, being a dog in the manger and not letting anyone else use them even though I don’t myself...

Frijolero, jtspartan and Jim99 like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Still good. Made up a newbe starter kit for a buddy, didn't make a dent in my supplies.

12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Good to see folks sticking around. Personally, I'm having no problems with this and feel good about the rest of the year.

Frijolero, Jim99, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Absolutely no temptations around my house -- well as far as shaving goes...it's actually quite enjoyable to use up consumables. Just opened up a Conk almond puck to start tomorrow morning with. Forgot it was in that magic shoebox in my shaving drawer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Still in ....

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Out....

Replaced my tub of Stirling Electric Sheep which isn't bad, but decided I wanted to give a tub of the Lemon Chill a try for the summer.

And the Orange Chill too.... I did put the Glacial Black Cherry back.

16. Paul Turner

I still have enough Glacial Wintergreen for this summer, so I should be safe. I do think I'll give the LC a go for next summer, though.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

While I am out, I still feel good about this year. I like the Electric Sheep enough that I wanted to replace it. The lack of will power and a citrus summer soap did me in...

I have used up a handful of partials, given away some that didn't work for me, and binned a few that deserved to be there. Even with the purchase I will end the year with considerably less crap on hand than last year.

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Other than my transgressions a few months back, I’m hanging in there and I’m whittling down my soap collection. I’ve had no new buys since February. I’ll have to stock up on some soaps in 2019, but do not plan to add any razors to my collection unless one goes out for every new one in.

Frijolero and Screwtape like this.
  19. Screwtape

Yum. Orange chill and Glacial Black Cherry both sound awfully tempting... No! No! Bad Shaver! Do not click on the Stirling soap page at your favourite online dealer! Down boy! ... Well, I guess I am still in but it was close for a few minutes there...

It hasn't been helped any by the discussion over at the 30DC concerning how excellent the Soapy Science soap is that that 8th grade schoolgirl created as a science project and then started marketing. It creates a super goop lather that remains usable for over half an hour according to one Crew member's tests. Seriously good stuff.... And I am on NB'18 :( :(...

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Stay strong.

Frijolero likes this.