NB'19

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Troy M, Dec 27, 2018.

?

Are you in?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Conditionally...

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I'm just here to watch

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Oh, why not? I'm in. For software.

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 1 other person like this.
  2. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Me too and I am not even in! :happy097:

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 3 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great Joseph, you didn't buy anything today! You're 1/365th of the way there.

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm thinking about it .... maybe for soap and blades. I really like aftershaves, always buying and selling brushes and occasionally razors, but I'll get back after I think about it.

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 1 other person like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

now how hard was that..;)

RyX, Drygulch and Primotenore like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m in; conditionally. I’ll buy something if I run out( blades, witch hazel ,etc. )and I’m not counting gifts to me or from me to someone else.

RyX, Drygulch, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been 3months without buying an wet shaving goodies, I'm going to give it my all for 2019.
    I still have so many things I've yet to use that I own, including razors, soaps,brushes and after-shaves.

RyX, Drygulch, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know I bought some soaps last year, but it wasn't much at all. I will give it a shot.

I plan on thinning down my hardware as well. I hope to finish the year with considerably less gear than I have now.

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome all! We're still in!!!!! But it is early on 1/1/19. Keep strong, keep off ebay and avoid shiny stuff!

RyX, Drygulch, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I realize the survey will last all year but "Yes" springs into an early lead.

Drygulch and brit like this.
  12. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

eBay's siren song dashed my no-buy plans 2 years in a row.

Not this year. Just disabled my account. Can now look but cannot touch.

I'm committed to the NB this year!

jtspartan, RyX, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm in for my first attempt at a no buy year.

I have a long term purchase that I've still not made yet, so might still do that... was thinking about buying a couple of stones for my straights.

But razors, blades, soaps... I need none of this. Maybe aftershave lotion... If it runs out.

Good luck all

jtspartan, RyX, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thought about this some more and decided to set it out. There's just to much good stuff out there that I haven't tried yet.

brit, John Beeman, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Here's what I'm looking to pare down, so you know:

IMG_20190102_153502.jpg

CarlfromMO, BigD, Troy M and 7 others like this.
  16. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Not really a hardcore no-buy. I have more than enough razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves/balms and colognes. But, I have a few vintage Gillettes that I'd like to have re-plated so that's really my only spending for 2019. If I keep it to that I'll consider it a successful restraint for me.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am in. I recently realized I have enough razors that I think I can not repeat any of them in 2019. (See my EDRIO tread for that fun.) I also have a soap rotation that takes me about 4 months to get through, with at least as many aftershaves. I have about 12 brushes, but only use 2 regularly. I also bet @NCoxSTL that I could make it, so that's on record.

Changing old habits will be hard. I saw a raffle at 8:15am on January 1 for a firehose strop. I bought spots, and realized that if I won, I had lost my NB status already. Fortunately, I lost.

brit, jtspartan, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hope everyone can stick to their commitment. My pile-o-gear is sufficient with the exception of DE & injector blades to carry my safely through a NB. That being typed, I still enjoy The Hunt. I don't shop the bay. I do visit my local thrift & antique shops, and if I spot a sign I'll detour for an estate sale. I had the itch for a Type F Schick, but that's diminished. Otherwise I'm sitting on enough software for the coming year, and vintage razors have proven their worth.

brit, jtspartan, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You probably have enough soap to last a couple decades there. What really worked for me was using a soap from start to finish. It made me much more picky about what I used. If it wasn't good enough to use every day, then I let it go. Using one soap from start to finish also cements how long things will last. Good luck.

brit, PLAla, Drygulch and 1 other person like this.
  20. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

How much gear you starting the year with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.