Neck beard growing in different directions. Please help!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Simone1, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Shave as often as you like or need. I’m a daily shaver and if I have a special evening engagement I’ll do second shave with just 2 passes.

RyX and 9nein9 like this.
  2. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. Was just pointing out that where you said the Rockwell blade was rated low that I had a different experience with it. Wasn't arguing . Just starting what I thought. Have a great day !

RyX likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Aargh...I didn't say it was rated low, I said it wasn't a sharper blade which is an entirely different thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

:happy088:

5. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

You’ve gotten a lot of good advice. The neck is a problem area for most every shaver, including me. The main piece of advice I can contribute is light pressure and take your time. And try different directions, don’t be afraid to try. Let it grow out for a few days so you can really good a good look at it. If it swirls which it looks like it does in some places, shave in the general direction that most of the hair is growing and be patient.

Paul Turner and 9nein9 like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That advice helps ME. Angling has been my big frustration when using..well, the 65-Slim has been my only "fancy" razor since joining here.

RyX likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

- ride the cap as much as possible
    - no pressure ( this will avoid the razor bumps)
    - no buffing on dry ( if your going to buff apply lather and don't do it on a skin that don't have lather)
    - do 3 passes: with the grain, cross the grain and against the grain ( do this as starters without trying to go for the 4th pass touch up) in month or so of daily shaving your skin will sort become resistant to the blade edge and you will be less prone to irritation, bumps,pimples etc
    - Last and final, as time passes you'll get better at it

8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When I seriously begun shaving with a DE about 5.5 years ago I also did the mistake of buying only Derby blades. I used the very same setup with Derby blades for 6 months (so 6 x 30 days focus), and these blades were still terrible. Derby blades are simply too dull for me. Like for me it might be your shaves improve a lot the day you change to other blades.

Give those Feather blades you have a chance. Because of the dullness of Derby blades, you have probably been accumulating some bad habits in your muscle memory. Often people tries to add pressure to compensate a dull blade. Because of this, the first few shaves with Feather will probably not be that good as they are really sharp and no pressure should be used.

I also highly recommend you to get this particular sample pack of razor blades: https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-mixed-R...ety-DE-Razor-Blades-sample-pack-Rasierklingen
    All the blades in this sample pack are better than Derby blades, in my opinion.

9. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

The biggest thing I ever learned when it came to irritation, and this is just my 2¢ is NEVER absolutely NEVER go over an area of skin without lather, especially the neck. Don’t try to get all the hair in the first pass.

Ron R likes this.