Need a little help !

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Martin Jensen, May 16, 2018.

1. Martin Jensen

Martin Jensen New Member

Gentlemen,

We are trying to help out our old, next door neighbor. He is 85 and leaving his house of 40 years!
    His parents had a small shop and when they passed, he moved all the stuff to his house.
    So, we found loads off stuff, including some razors.

We wanna help him out, but! - We have no clue, what so ever, what the stuff is worth!

Can you help us with a price estimate?

Thanks!
    Jette & Martin,
    Denmark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Jette & Martin @Martin Jensen!

You pose a question that's most often answered by The Market. Most vintage gear seen on our little corner of the internet is purchased from auction sites, antique stores, or between participating members. Balanced between the desire of the new owner and the financial needs of the seller you'll find the value of each piece. Condition can play a large part in the value. Being boxed like two of your photos helps. Corrosion free and shiny also catches the eye of prospective buyers.

All that said, putting a price on the gentleman's gear isn't something that most folks would feel comfortable doing. You might search ebay and similar auction sites to gauge the price of recently sold items.

Have you considered trying Wet Shaving? They look like some fine tools. ;)

3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

First off, I don't know a whole lot about Ever Ready razors, but both of these look like Ever Ready "Shovel Head" models to me.

They don't sell for much although having the box ( I don't think the second box is original) and blade pack helps. If you search eBay in the USA for completed sales you'll see that many go for $10-$20 and one would have to be in absolutely mint condition to go for much more.

Here's a link to completed listings on USA eBay.

And here is one to completed listing on UK eBay.

RyX likes this.
  4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Those are nice razors. They look to be in good condition, so I would price them based on the upper end of the listings. I’m not into vintage razors so I don’t know what that would be. I think the links above should give you the best starting point.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

They’re Ever Ready shovel heads. I see at least one has “patent applied for” stamped on it. That probably places the manufacture date for that razor at 1924.

I’m not sure we’re allowed to be appraising razors on this forum, so I’m treading lightly...

Ever Ready shovel head (aka 1924) razors are not rare razors and can easily be found on eBay for $15 to $20 USD. If the razor is in excellent condition, you could get a few dollars more, with the case adding yet a few more dollars.

Note that I stated that they’re Ever Ready razors. One case says Gem, so it is in an incorrect case. The number tag is interesting, but I suspect it has nothing to do with the razor.

These razors do have their followers, including me, as they are excellent shavers and modern blades to fit them are readily available. Yours appear to be beauties!

As @RyX has stated, have you considered using them? If you plan on selling them, there’s a Marketplace/Buy and Sell section on this forum, or you could sell them on eBay.

I hope this helps in deciding what to do with them.

RyX likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, what he said.

Jrdelgado and RyX like this.