Need a new razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Turk, May 29, 2015.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I've been using the Merkur 34C for at least 8 years now. Does anyone recall switching to a different razor and it was e a mindblowing change! Something that you loved and don't see how you survived so long not using it. Well, I'm looking for that Safety Razor. During that 8 years I had a 59"Fatboy I would use from time to time. Any suggestions by anyone?

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

David, what do you mean by "progress" is that a razor?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

2015-05-29-08-29-25-2071278033.jpeg yes it's made by Merkur.
    the progress knocked my socks off.
    if I'd have bought it first. I may not have a razor collection.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I used my Progress this morning and it was good! Lots of other good ones out there too though. Sounds like the Fatboy didn't really knock your socks off so you might be more of a Merkur type guy. Maybe take a look at the Futur too.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :happy088::signs011:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Are you considering open-comb razors, or do you prefer sticking to closed-comb? The RazoRock Bamboozled RAKE is a remarkable combination of closeness and comfort that won't break the bank, if open-comb is an option.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Yup , the Weber PH. Wider gap and more blade exposure than the 34c.

9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would say that you can not beat a Weber PH or a Weber Classic. If you can find one of either of them you should jump on it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Tallships

Yes love mine, it's with classic handle, Shaves me great with a Personna Red or Crystal blade for a BBS. It's sad that they stopped making the heads

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. PatrickA51

I only wish I had bought several while they were still making the Weber 3pc. sets,and not just the handles.

12. PatrickA51

I use my Weber almost every day. I usually use a Wilkinson Sword Blade or an Astra SP. More often than not I use the Wilkinson Sword Blades only. Also more often than not I get a DFS or BBS out of using the Weber. I also have a Above The Tie Razor. I like it but after a 30 day rule using it. I would still say my Weber runs circles around it. The ATT-Razor is a great razor don't get me wrong, but they are very way over priced. As compared to the workmanship of the Weber.

13. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Fatboy/slim

The razors not the dj

They're highly sought after because they're exceptional shavers. I use them more than my 34c

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Is that your weapon of choice?

15. Bama Samurai

Schick injector, any model pretty much

16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

In the parameters of the question, it was the first razor from my beginner razor that was like WOW

but my go to razor right now? I'm not sure. I've been rotating a handful, including the fatboy and slim.

17. Bama Samurai

(Apologies for late night Fatboy, thread hijack over.)

youngunn likes this.
  18. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

ATT cured my DE razor acquisition addiction.

19. Tallships

The Slim, Fatboy and Black Beauty are great razors, I think it was the FB or the Slim that I first stated on too many years ago. The FB has a larger head than the Slim or BB but not any less efficient. with the Gillette Adjustables and the Weber PH, One pass plus touchup shave, with my EJ 89, Merkur 34c and other Gillette's it's two passes + touchup.

youngunn likes this.