Need a new Washer & Dryer

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 26, 2016.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My 15 year maytag washer is starting to whine at high speed so I assume there is a bearing going out. any suggestions as to the best buy today on a washer and dryer? Looking at Samsung, Maytag and LG

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    We got a new HE Maytag three years ago. It was a big change for us. There is no agitator, and it took some getting used to, but it is great. It uses less water, and the clothes are just damp after the final spin. So, drying time is reduced as well. The technology has really gotten better. Here is the user manual. It is top loading.
    http://www.maytag.com/digitalassets/MVWX500XW/Use and Care_EN.pdf

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I agree the new HE washers are great.

Brand wise we just changed from US made, to Korean washers. As washer life got shorter and shorter on US made washers, the Koreans looked better and better. My hope is Korea will try to win market with a longer life.

In the past we would replace the dryer when the washer died. Being the washers died more often we decided to keep the working dryers. Turns out the current dryer out lived 3-4 washers. I am very loyal to US made dryers.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Don't buy a front loader. Buy a top load washer.

5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Why? Our front loader works great and uses less water than normal top loaders. And like @Jayaruh does a great job of extracting. And the dryer stacks on top saving space.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

6. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'm in the same predicament and have no idea what to get

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Use a randomizer buddy, takes out all the guess work. Lately I've even been thinking of getting one of those magic 8 balls just to spice things up! :happy097:
    upload_2016-1-26_20-26-52.jpeg

8. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAHA! Truthfully I'd probably have just as much luck going that route than basing it off of reviews

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Sometimes I read reviews on two similar items and I pick the one with better reviews instead of the one I like and I end up hating myself for it! :angry019: :angry032:

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Do the still make Speed Queen? Our old washer lasted 20+ years and the dryer was still going strong when we moved out after 29.

11. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

They don't make them like they used to that's for sure. We had a Whirlpool Cabrio set. Top loading HE washer, worked great for about 7 years then the washer broke. About a month and half later there goes the dryer. We now have a Kenmore front loader. As far as performance, I like the Whirlpool top loading better.

12. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Kenmores are made by Whirlpool. I had my first Whirlpool set, I bought in 1964. They lasted till 1994, even though I did some small repairs. I then bought the Whirlpool set I have now. YMMV.

My first set was used by only me til 1980, then 4 people on it til 1986. Then only me and my son on weekends til 1994.

Second set only me and son til 2000. Now 2nd wife and I til now.

The second set is still the same old lots of water type. I only use electrical dryers, as I don't want an open flame around lint.

Greg W.

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. Front loaders rock. Our LG set has been nothing but dependable and effective in the 10 years we've owned it. And now that my dryer venting has been upgraded, the dryer works even better than before.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My front loader is by Bosch, and if I don't leave the door open, it smells like mildew. It also tends to wander around and moves about a foot every time it's used.

This might be more specific to Bosch washers, but based on that experience, I won't get a front loader again, or Bosch brand either, for that matter.

15. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Most Kenmore are made by Whirlpool, but they also get stuff from LG. I think the higher end stuff is by LG actually. The Kenmore Elites are usually LG, especially in the washing machines. I am also in the hunt for a new washer and am looking at several LG/Kenmore in hopes to grab a decent sale. I am also looking at front load washers, so YMMV on that issue as well. The LG that I really like is the LG WM8000HVA. As for dryers, I have an old Whirlpool (probably 15-18 years old) that is still going strong and hopefully will continue going strong for a while longer. I don't think they make anything like they used to, so I am not counting on getting the same number of years out of new ones.

16. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

My barely 5 year old LG front load washer died this past summer. The bearings for the tub were shot. At the time, I had two different repair guys in for estimates which ran from $650-700, so it was smarter for me to buy a new washer. Both repair guys told me that the bearing issue was very common with front loaders (one guy said that the newer front loaders have addressed the problem by using heavier duty mounting brackets for the tub, but only time will tell).

As I researched and shopped for a new washer, virtually all the salesmen confirmed that my issue was indeed common among older front load washers. When shopping, the first question I'd ask them was whether they owned a front or top loader. Every one said that they owned top loaders. When asked why, they cited reliability and mold issues with the front loaders, and said that the new HE top loaders have closed the gap in water usage, efficiency, and capacity, while still being significantly less expensive than front loaders. My online research seemed to show that LG and Samsung are rated highest by various consumer mags, with Kenmore slightly below, followed by the rest.

For what it's worth, I bought a Samsung HE top loader (WA48H7400A). My past issue with LG took them out of consideration, but I should note that I still have a LG front load dryer that is working great. We are very happy with the Samsung washer. It is much quieter and gets the clothes cleaner than our old LG.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

If you just want a top loader, all mechanical, that just washes clothes - a Speed Queen basic model meets that criteria. They are about $150.00 more than your basic other models but they are built like a tank (stainless steel tub) and have a 3 year bumper to bumper to warranty then 5 years on the tranny. I've had two and my daughter just picked one up. Again nothing fancy just washes clothers minus all the electrial crap that goes wrong after 12 months.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Lou, whatever style or brand you purchase, I highly recommend purchasing extended coverage or warrantythat go beyond the standard manufacturer one year. Modern washers and dryers are prone to needing repair and all it takes is one service call to offset the additional investment of an extended warranty coverage.

19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've heard all the detraction about front loaders before. I know there are top loaders out there now that are excellent. My recommendation is based on the fact that SWMBO still hasn't managed to kill these machines. She is a disaster with appliances. She's killed two washers already.

20. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

I recently went back to a top loader. The front loaders over time for me got an odor as water seemed to get into a channel in the door and stink over time. The top loaders I recently bought r fantastic. I'm very pleased.

I'm not going to recommend a brand as I think most r pretty competitive now. Or at least I hope they would b.

preidy and Robyflexx like this.