Need a suggestion !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sammyak, May 15, 2018.

1. sammyak

sammyak Member

Thanks RyX for pointing out to the razor learning forum !!! i will go through it for details....
    The razor pic you have posted is the razor i currently own. for pre shave i use a face scrub by nutragena, followed with Nivea sensitive shaving cream lathered with Gillette synthetic brush and post shave i use a alum block and Nivea after shave cream (alcohol free) as i have sensitive skin and to protect it from dry patches...

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  2. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

sammyak, of the options listed, my opinion would be either the Merkur 34 C or the Edwin Jagger DE89. I've got the Edwin Jagger DE89 and feel that it is a very good razor and great shaver. It is a little on the mild side (which I like as I have sensitive skin). I've also heard great things about the Merkur 34C but have never used one. I have heard that it is slightly more aggressive than the EJ. But, again a number of people that I trust really like the Merkur 34C. Sorry, but I don't know much about the Parkers. Good luck in your decision.

3. sammyak

sammyak Member

noted john !!! let me shop for them now :)

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Just an FYI, most Parker razors are made by Pearl (as are most house brand razors). The Gillette Sterling razor has a head that is similar(identical?) to a vintage Gillette Tech. The Tech was a time tested Gillette design that was produced continuously for over 40 years. Why ? Because it just plain worked!

PanChango and RyX like this.
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Honestly, I've gotta agree with the guys who are advising stick with what you've got and use it for at least 30 days before switching anything up. All the gear you've got is good, but the muscle memory required to have consistent technique (using less pressure, proper blade angle, less pressure, good lathering technique, even less pressure, etc.) takes a bit of time. If you switch up gear when you start, you may end up going backwards. Kind of like a golfer changing clubs once he hits the ball well a couple of times. Now he has to learn the new club before he really got consistent at swinging it correctly. It may seem a bit boring and tedious, but you'll get consistently better shaves faster using this method. Believe me, before this is over, you'll own more razors, brushes and soaps than would seem reasonable to any normal person outside of this forum. (This group will make sure of it!) I'd also echo the comment above made by @RyX to stop by the 30 Day Rule thread and post your shaves and your progress. The knowledge and good advice provided there is invaluable, and helped a number of us "turbocharge" our start to wet shaving.

Linuxguile, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

@sammyak, as you are living in India, give the brands of your own country (Pearl and Parker) a chance. If you want a razor slightly on the more aggressive side, go for a Pearl open comb. If you prefer more a medium razor, go for a Parker.

My opinion is that Parker does make about the same good razors as EJ and Merkur. My Parker razor got very good plating and it is aligning the blade well. The Pearl razor requires a bit of manual aligning of the blade.

7. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:
    I used to have a lot of razors, but now I have pared them down a great deal. I now prefer to have a myriad of soaps, brushes and fragrances. :scared003:

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Find a 2011 Muhle R41; it shut the door for me on RAD forever.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    One of the ones I kept in my den.

11. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Maybe look at Yaqi razors on aliexpress.com. Not expensive, and they ship to India. You can get a good head start on brush acquisition disorder there too.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like the 7'Oclock blacks myself, the yellows are nice also..

13. Jack19

Jack19 Member

I would highly recommend a Pre-War Gillette Tech with the fat handle. That said, you might as well ask whether chili should have beans. :)

14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I would suggest 20" Nikko carbon fiber rims for better grip and stability going ATG, Spoilers and drop it 3" down for better traction around the mustache area, sport seats and after market shocks if you like to party hard. You are welcome