Need help with a list please

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Salty Belle, Aug 8, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Definitely a therapeutic exercise.
    Sure, dampening a brush and puck, and going to the trouble to whip up a thick lather isn't as convenient as the gels or canned creams. I would echo what others have mentioned about the natural benefits using the natural ingredients found in the quality soaps as well as the enhanced skin treatment.
    The dedicated wet-shaver is not only interested in getting top-flight results from the shave, but to many, the journey is half the joy.
    Cartridge shaving with ready-made goo is certainly more easier, but wet-shaving is not all about convenience.
    It is time well-spent deciding upon the razor, choosing which blade, selecting the proper brush, and putting to use a good, high-quality soap or cream, and finishing with the ideal post-shave balm or aftershave.
    metime.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

better for the environment (less waste)
    more natural ingredients
    moisturizers
    helps support small businesses
    cheaper (in some cases)
    lasts longer than a can (ymmv)
    nostalgia factor

using a puck of soap is how our ancestors shaved for many many years. There are way more reasons to choose soap over canned goo than vice versa. The problem is that the media does not educate people about things like this so most people out walking the streets have no idea what wet shaving is. Because of this a lot of people find our hobby to be strange and cant understand why we would have enough shaving products to last years. The best part of wet shaving (IMO) is that it took a chore and made it much more enjoyable and peaceful.

wmbjr and Salty Belle like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My eight year old daughter does. I give her a razor sans blade, and she lathers up and shaves with me. It's great daddy daughter time and it's good for her skin.

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This all started when I googled "how to get a good shave" BOOM! All the reasons mentioned above got me to start wetshaving. I like the ritual and that no soap is the same. It's natural, not chemicals. I wanted to get a better shave and I ended up with many new friends. I like the community, the kindness, helpfulness, the generosity, the humor and everything else.

Sometimes we don't need "New and improved" we need to go back to the old days

Salty Belle, PLANofMAN and Dzia Dzia like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When I hear the words "New and Improved" I think of this:
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington and Spyder like this.
  6. Omelmad

This is what I think of
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Your img link is broken.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Omelmad

Damn Gillette hahaha, how about now?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My wife has made a ritual of making suds, as she calls it. She likes a mix of Van der Hagan and Dove

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I like how your wife thinks.
    ...but aren't the feathers kind of pokey? ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

:happy097::happy097::happy097:

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Dove der Hagen ...

[​IMG]

Kilted Yak is somewhat skeptical!

Salty Belle likes this.
  13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

No reason you can't enjoy it no matter what you shave. I tell my sister- in-law it would work on her mustache. She doesn't make pecan tarts for me any longer.

14. Salty Belle

Well...me thinks you don't deserve pecan tarts:)

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  15. Salty Belle

Great cartoon!
    Thanks so much to all of you! You're awesome!

Dzia Dzia, PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

As was said above...shaving with a good quality soap is all part of the ritual. There is nothing so nice as lathering up some suds and rubbing it on your cheeks and neck. There is nothing that can make you stand just a little bit taller than a good shave. Shaving is classic "me" time...a form of meditation before I take on the world in the morning.

Salty Belle likes this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My younger daughter will lather up with me every now and then. My son does it all the time, and she just has to do it with him.

Salty Belle and Dzia Dzia like this.
  18. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

It's a riot when our kids have to be just like us. My grandson now has an ASAD like his Dzia Dzia. His favorite is Aqua Velva. I mixed some witch hazel, Prorasso blue AS balm and just enough AV for fragrance; put it a travel bottle. He walks around his house and mine asking everybody to smell after he had his best shave ever.

19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My daughter was complaining that she has nothing to put on that smells good. All we have is boy stuff. Ah.. The joys of being a single dad. 30 minutes later we're in Bath and Body Works picking out some perfume.

Salty Belle, Dzia Dzia and Norcalnewb like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My son is the same way! Every time we go to a drug store now, he wants to get his own AS. I will let him wear whatever I am putting on, then he runs to his mother or sisters and asks them to smell him.

My wife is pregnant now, and has what my kids all call the "Super Sniffer" so this drives her crazy, since she is so sensitive to smells now.