need ID for odd 4 3/4" long device thrown in with straight razors grab

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mdpmedia, Apr 15, 2020.

1. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

When I was going through my recent yard sale acquisition nearly 180 straight razors, I found this odd-looking device thrown in with the razors that I have never seen before.

Is this something used with razors? I don't know but it is surely a wierd shape to be used as a weapon or letter opener. The arrow-shaped tip has been sharpened.

Also I put a close-up of the tang and wanted to get some input as to what the first two lines read as. The third line is obviously 'England' but the second line has two 'L's which would not go with Sheffield.

Finally, the handle is made of some very nice wood but I do not know what type it is.

Thanks
    mdpmedia letter opener side w... tang verbiage VBEST.JPG letter opener side w. tang verbiage VBEST.JPG letter opener side w.o... tang verbiage VBEST.JPG letter opener x-sectional view VBEST.JPG

Enrico, Keithmax and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Interesting, maybe made to do some precise trimming, beard, mustache, etc.

3. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

It's a lancet, used for bloodletting or lancing boils.

Enrico likes this.
  4. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It is an ink eraser knife. Very similar to this one .......

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d...or-fleam-bleeder-blade-sheffield-england.html

:eatdrink013:

RezDog likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  7. Slash McCoy

8. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

It's off putting to think that in the good old days, they were using the same tool for all these uses.

9. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

And no autoclave in between.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. Slash McCoy

Well, at one point in time the only tool was the rock. Well, and the stick. You kinda had to multifunction it until there was a bit more specialization.

11. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Second word is definitely Sheffield. The first "L" is actually a poorly imprinted "E". I can't tell what the first word is.